Roscommon v Clare - AIQ R4A [23/07/16]

Started by Syferus, July 18, 2016, 08:43:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Il Bomber Destro

The way around this is abolishing replays and going with extra time.

However the 6 day turnaround is the lamest excuse around. Clare played 7 days ago, if a team wants to sit around licking their wounds for the week after a defeat then they get what they deserve.

Blowitupref

Quote from: From the Bunker on July 24, 2016, 11:48:44 PM
Quote from: Blowitupref on July 24, 2016, 11:37:08 PM
Quote from: Zulu on July 24, 2016, 11:19:30 PM
How's it a disgrace? It isn't even close to a disgrace and saying so is nonsense. If people want to keep the two week break then ensure your county boards reverse their daft decision and allow for replays.
Disgrace would be too strong of a word but in fairness Roscommon were punished for drawing a Connacht final.

This was said in congress when the qualifiers became A and B system.

The new design will guarantee beaten provincial finalists a minimum of 13 days before their fourth round qualifier.

I was going to use the word unfair! But i felt Disgrace was a bit more forceful. Inequitable, discriminatory, are others that come to mind. Monaghan got caught with the same malarkey. And although It's nice for counties like Clare and Longford. There is always the question in the back of your mind, what if the defeated had the extra week?
Last year one of the surprise results of the summer was Kildares 8 point win against Cork in round 4. Cork had a six day turnaround for that game after a Munster final replay.  Kildare went onto to face Kerry the following week feeling good about themselves and received almighty hammering. I fear the same could happen to Clare now i hope not and they give a decent account of themselves.
Is the ref going to finally blow his whistle?... No, he's going to blow his nose

Syferus

How's it a disgrace? It isn't even close to a disgrace and saying so is nonsense. If people want to keep the two week break then ensure your county boards reverse their daft decision and allow for replays.
Disgrace would be too strong of a word but in fairness Roscommon were punished for drawing a Connacht final.

The new design will guarantee beaten provincial finalists a minimum of 13 days before their fourth round qualifier.

I was going to use the word unfair! But i felt Disgrace was a bit more forceful. Inequitable, discriminatory, are others that come to mind. Monaghan got caught with the same malarkey. And although It's nice for counties like Clare and Longford. There is always the question in the back of your mind, what if the defeated had the extra week?

I have little doubt in my mind we'd still have lost.

From the Bunker

Quote from: Syferus on July 25, 2016, 12:24:09 AM

I have little doubt in my mind we'd still have lost.

It's always better to think that way. To be fair Clare might have done ye the favour of not having to meet Kerry in Croker and face a right whipping. Better to go out now humbly now and lick your wounds than face that?

Time to take a sabbatical and recharge for the next crusade. Things will look a lot brighter come January! 

Ohtoohtobe

I just don't understand the six-day turnaround excuse. Teams win the soccer world cup playing seven games in a month. Months of physical and mental training and teams can't handle two games in a week? I don't buy it. One of the most fragile Kildare teams in history won the ultimate banana-skin fixture away to Offaly six days after a 19-point defeat last year. Roscommon need to look in the mirror.

Manning18

Beaten provincial finalists already have it too easy. They come in at round 4 and only have to win 1 match. A beaten semi finalist comes in a full 2 rounds earlier. And you should be punished for not winning matches in your province. Dont really have a problem with 6 day turnarounds as the opposing side probably played the week previous also. Had Ros been beaten in Salthill then they'd be coming in off a 2 week break with Clare having had to play the previous weekend. That would be unfair

Rossfan

A Provincial Final is a BIG game that teams have prepared for and (except in Leinster maybe) are on a high going into it.
A bad show, a sickening defeat or the like leaves a team deflated and not in a good place mentally. The thought of another game in 6 days is a ln awful prospect .
Meanwhile the lads winning Qualifiers are on a roll and can't wait to get into another game.

As for soccer teams in World Cups playing every few days - they are professionals, that's their job.
Most people have to go to work every day.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

seafoid

Quote from: Rossfan on July 25, 2016, 08:11:52 AM
A Provincial Final is a BIG game that teams have prepared for and (except in Leinster maybe) are on a high going into it.
A bad show, a sickening defeat or the like leaves a team deflated and not in a good place mentally. The thought of another game in 6 days is a ln awful prospect .
Meanwhile the lads winning Qualifiers are on a roll and can't wait to get into another game.

As for soccer teams in World Cups playing every few days - they are professionals, that's their job.
Most people have to go to work every day.
The psychological effects of a loss take more than a week to get over. Momentum is better for the teams coming out of R3. So much of sport is psychology.
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

laoislad

Quote from: Ohtoohtobe on July 25, 2016, 01:48:49 AM
I just don't understand the six-day turnaround excuse. Teams win the soccer world cup playing seven games in a month. Months of physical and mental training and teams can't handle two games in a week? I don't buy it
Couldn't agree more.
When you think you're fucked you're only about 40% fucked.

DuffleKing

Quote from: laoislad on July 25, 2016, 08:36:42 AM
Quote from: Ohtoohtobe on July 25, 2016, 01:48:49 AM
I just don't understand the six-day turnaround excuse. Teams win the soccer world cup playing seven games in a month. Months of physical and mental training and teams can't handle two games in a week? I don't buy it
Couldn't agree more.

Neither of you see that teams in a World Cup are playing other teams subjected to exactly the same schedule and environment?

Even if it were comparable - which is a ridiculous notion - the old "well if professional sportsmen can do it..." Argument isn't exactly the best argument.

manfromdelmonte

Professional footballers or rugby players are playing for their wages, have all day to rest and recover after training, have full access to physios and other facilities

GAA players (most of them) have to go to work all week

AZOffaly

The World Cup example is not a great one either, as you never have a situation where a team loses an absolutely crucial game, and has to get up for a game they weren't planning on playing in a very short time.

If it's an 'unexpected' game, it's because you've won the previous game which means you have the benefit of a win behind you.

If you lose a group game, you always knew you had another game coming behind anyway.

The closest correlation in this case, where we *have* seen similar results is when a team gets eliminated in their second group game, where the third game becomes a dead rubber. Usually in those cases, the team that is out loses. Not because they are unfit, but because they are deflated and disillusioned.

oliverkelly

I got slated before when I let people know who was running the show in Roscommon, And now I find it funny other posters who were calling me this and that are now waking up as to what our management are really about. We have some very talented players in Roscommon, Maybe we over rate them but they are still extremely talented imo. Our current Manager does not want talented footballers he wants robots who will do what he says and try perfect a terrible defensive set up that he tried against Donegal in Minor a few years ago.
Why we could not have given the job straight up to McStay and McHale I will never know and hopefully that's what will happen in next few months and see what they are really made of.

People will slate me and say I am anti FOD, I am not he has done a lot for our small county and his heart is in right place But he is clueless on the sideline and a poor judge of a player imo, Let him stay in back ground as a coach maybe but he has made enough selection mistakes in the past. Bringing back lads that wernt good enough in 2011 when he was last in charge.
Poor David Keenan was getting slated by everyone last few weeks but in fairness to the lad he is not a midfielder and plenty of lads will get the better of him at midfield in Intermediate club championship this year yet we play him there against one the best midfields in country?He is a wing back. Cathal Shine got shafted by management, Best player we had until injury last year now cant even get in match day squad.

The 6 day turnaround is hard but no point saying that is reason we lost, we could have had a 60 day break and still would have lost to Clare, The morale is gone in the camp simple as and has been for a number of months.

Rossfan

Oliver take your personal vendetta against Fergal somewhere else please.
Do you really think no one else has a say in the extensive management and back up team?
Who are the talented players not on the panel who are being overlooked in favour of robots?
Your 2 mates from Pearses chose to go to America for the Summer as they are perfectly entitled to.

McStay would only get involved if Fergal came too.
Cathal Shine is obviously not considered fit for action.

Management as a whole need a self critical examination of their methods, training,coaching and team selections.
They have persisted with one lad who is not of Inter Co standard and put another in last Saturday as well.
They have persisted with a few bucks who have contributed nothing to the team for ages.
The team seems to have no structure or game plan in either attack or defence other than short kick outs and watery sh1te tossball.

Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

oliverkelly

Quote from: Rossfan on July 25, 2016, 12:32:57 PM
Oliver take your personal vendetta against Fergal somewhere else please.
Do you really think no one else has a say in the extensive management and back up team?
Who are the talented players not on the panel who are being overlooked in favour of robots?
Your 2 mates from Pearses chose to go to America for the Summer as they are perfectly entitled to.

McStay would only get involved if Fergal came too.
Cathal Shine is obviously not considered fit for action.

Management as a whole need a self critical examination of their methods, training,coaching and team selections.
They have persisted with one lad who is not of Inter Co standard and put another in last Saturday as well.
They have persisted with a few bucks who have contributed nothing to the team for ages.
The team seems to have no structure or game plan in either attack or defence other than short kick outs and watery sh1te tossball.

I don't have a personal vendetta against Fergal only some clowns in county think sun shines out of his hole which it certainly doesn't. As I said he is great coach but hasn't a clue otherwise.
No I don't believe they have not a bit of contribution but I have heard first hand its FOD and Casey who are running the show. I recommend you ask any panellist and they will confirm this.
I didn't mean not in panel, I meant in squad but not been selected and whole county can see that. Selection issues have been a problem all year.
Cathal Shine is fit but was fucked about this year, Another clubmate of mine was fucked about by them at weekend too in young Lennon. One example would be Fetherstone who is better than majority of defenders on panel.
I don't buy into McStay would not get involved without Fergal. Mulryan the money man would only fund team if Fergal was involved.
I agree with all your other valid points in relation to management as a whole, but just needs be clarified who is actually in control of things