China Coronavirus

Started by lurganblue, January 23, 2020, 09:52:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mackers

Quote from: tbrick18 on November 16, 2020, 10:51:52 AM
Robin Swan has even said that he is a unionist making the recommendations but the DUP used a cross community tool too block it. How can it be a cross community issue if both sides agree?
I must say Swann comes across as a decent man.  Has he made mistakes?  Of course he has but he appears to be very genuine in everything he does.
Keep your pecker hard and your powder dry and the world will turn.

mackers

On a positive note Moderna have released the interim results on their vaccine and it has shown nearly 95% efficacy.  Hopefully the Oxford/AZ vaccine will follow suit soon.
Keep your pecker hard and your powder dry and the world will turn.

armaghniac

Quote from: mackers on November 16, 2020, 12:23:39 PM
On a positive note Moderna have released the interim results on their vaccine and it has shown nearly 95% efficacy.  Hopefully the Oxford/AZ vaccine will follow suit soon.

The Moderna and Pfizer vaccines are related approaches, both will have around the same efficacy, but both have distribution problems because of the =70C requirement. The Oxford/AZ is a bit different, but would be easier to distribute, the Russian vaccine which is supposed to be also very effective is related to the Oxford approach.

It will be a bit of a challenge getting these things produced and distributed, but it looks like they will provide a real change.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

Franko

What's the chances??

According to a prominent Chemical Engineer, who has a phD and some friends, no vaccine had EVER got close to 90% efficiacy in the clinical trials phase of development.

Now we have 2 in a week!

Science... eh?

JohnDenver

Quote from: armaghniac on November 16, 2020, 12:32:01 PM

The Moderna and Pfizer vaccines are related approaches, both will have around the same efficacy, but both have distribution problems because of the =70C requirement. The Oxford/AZ is a bit different, but would be easier to distribute, the Russian vaccine which is supposed to be also very effective is related to the Oxford approach.

It will be a bit of a challenge getting these things produced and distributed, but it looks like they will provide a real change.

Form an orderly queue for the Russian vaccine!  ;D

Rossfan

How many GAAboarders have polio?
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

bigarsedkeeper

Quote from: JohnDenver on November 16, 2020, 12:37:36 PM

Everyone who gets it looks like Dolph Lundgren after a month

macdanger2

I don't think the moderna vaccine has the same cold storage requirements as the Pfizer vaccine, it's just 2-8C which is pretty standard

armaghniac

Quote from: macdanger2 on November 16, 2020, 12:49:17 PM

I don't think the moderna vaccine has the same cold storage requirements as the Pfizer vaccine, it's just 2-8C which is pretty standard

My post above was based on out of date information. Although it seems that Moderna does require -20C, such storage is more readily available.

I expect that we will get one of the other ones, although apparently the UK hasn't tried to order the Moderna one, so people in the occupied 6 will be banjaxed. However, the Russian vaccine may well work, it is not dissimilar to the Oxford approach, and it will be used in Russa and probably many parts of the third world, so it will help kill off the virus.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

JohnDenver

Quote from: armaghniac on November 16, 2020, 12:51:45 PM

My post above was based on out of date information. Although it seems that Moderna does require -20C, such storage is more readily available.

I expect that we will get one of the other ones, although apparently the UK hasn't tried to order the Moderna one, so people in the occupied 6 will be banjaxed. However, the Russian vaccine may well work, it is not dissimilar to the Oxford approach, and it will be used in Russa and probably many parts of the third world, so it will help kill off the virus.

Preferably the Oxford approach to the Salisbury approach!

johnnycool

-20 degrees I read somewhere.

It seems a lot of these vaccines are using the same approach so we hopefully see a raft of other vaccines passing all the required due diligence.

GetOverTheBar

Quote from: bigarsedkeeper on November 16, 2020, 12:45:56 PM

Everyone who gets it looks like Dolph Lundgren after a month

I'll have it, save me bothering with pre season later in month  :o

Tony Baloney

Quote from: johnnycool on November 16, 2020, 01:12:09 PM

-20 degrees I read somewhere.

It seems a lot of these vaccines are using the same approach so we hopefully see a raft of other vaccines passing all the required due diligence.
Both. It's primary storage condition is -20 which is a domestic freezer but can also sit in the fridge for up to 30 days. This makes the management much easier for GPs. It'll take all these companies to get something delivered to everyone who needs/wants it.

tbrick18

Quote from: armaghniac on November 16, 2020, 11:55:32 AM
The government have acted, but are not being led by the science. And I notice that it's very rarely mentioned now that they are being led by the science.
The science said they needed to lock down for another 2 weeks at least. All parties except the DUP agreed and so the DUP used a cross community mechanism for a purpose it was never intended to be used for to veto the science and the overwhelming cross community vote to lock down for 2 weeks.
Robin Swan has even said that he is a unionist making the recommendations but the DUP used a cross community tool too block it. How can it be a cross community issue if both sides agree?
The DUP have their own agenda and seem to be only interested in either the money OR any route of action that is opposite to what SF want to follow.
It's reckless and scandalous and will undoubtedly cost more lives.
I wonder can a legal challenge be made against the DUP for using the cross community veto in a manner that it was not intended for.

Somebody point out on Slugger that this is wasn't a petition of concern, but something brought in by SF and the DUP in the St Andrews agreement requiring ministerial votes on a cross community basis. It resulted from the stitch up by SF and the DUP to make sure that nothing could be done without them.

Yeah I know it's not the petition of concern, but I cant for the life of me remember what it's called. The general idea is that if any side of the community feels that a decision is detrimental to their side of the community they can ask for a vote to be taken by means of getting three (I think) nominations. The DUP with the majority are able to trigger this and then also win the vote as they have a majority, essentially giving them a veto.

tbrick18

Quote from: mackers on November 16, 2020, 12:21:39 PM
I must say Swann comes across as a decent man.  Has he made mistakes?  Of course he has but he appears to be very genuine in everything he does.

Yeah I have to say I wasn't his biggest fan at the start of this whole thing, but he seems to genuinely be trying to do the right thing for the right reasons. He's not politicising anything. It feels he's banging his head off a wall.