Antrim Football Thread

Started by theskull1, November 09, 2006, 11:48:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Milltown Row2

Quote from: bannside on November 16, 2020, 01:02:52 PM
Its all about the way the proposal is positioned. There is some difference between "anyone opposing the recomendation please put up your hand" and "anyone who wishes to support this recomendation please put up your hand".

The apathy that existed towards anything football related from the hurling clubs practically guaranteed the executives proposal was passed.

Executive Officials do their term, come and go...but FQ is the one constant who should know exactly the difference between scenario A and Scenario B as listed above.

I called it out as a charade from the floor, on the night - and my opinion on that particular "charade" hasnt changed.

What way is it done in other dual counties? Do the hurling clubs step aside?
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Stillwater2

Bannside in relation to what you refer to, i actually think i was there in the night in question.

Was the issue not that you were not delegated by your club to attend this meeting? and this has been relayed to FQ? Hence the reason why you were shot down and asked to refrain from speaking.

bannside

Almost correct Stillwater2. There was no question that I had not been mandated by the club to attend (Im not that brazen lol) but that there was some rule which dictated that a change of delegate needed to be notified in advance (2 days or 2 hours or something). Funny that I could stay in the room but not permitted to talk!

Some very experienced club delegates beside me were telling me to stand my ground and that there was no such rule! (Still dont know if there is or not tbh). In any event I got to see the apathy for football and the charade I talk of being played out!

NAG1

Quote from: bannside on November 16, 2020, 03:05:54 PM
Almost correct Stillwater2. There was no question that I had not been mandated by the club to attend (Im not that brazen lol) but that there was some rule which dictated that a change of delegate needed to be notified in advance (2 days or 2 hours or something). Funny that I could stay in the room but not permitted to talk!

Some very experienced club delegates beside me were telling me to stand my ground and that there was no such rule! (Still dont know if there is or not tbh). In any event I got to see the apathy for football and the charade I talk of being played out!

I doubt very much BS if a rule would have been invoked against you speaking if such a rule did not exist.

Again I am kind of lost as to why the hurling clubs appear to be getting blamed for the ills of the football fraternity in the county?
Clubs/ Delegates who are representing hurling clubs would not presume to speak up on footballing matters, this should be coming from the football clubs/ delegates.
Instead maybe of naval gazing and blaming hurling clubs for creating apathy maybe the football fraternity should get their heads together and come up with some plans to put to the county in terms of structures and in terms of coaching plans and even suggestions for the county management set up.

Caesar

I don't think anyone is suggesting hurling is to blame for the state of Antrim football, but it is unlikely that the hurling clubs will have any objections about the next football manager. It's not something they are worried about. And for this reason, the selection process seems flawed.

Would be interested to hear how it works in other dual counties if anyone knows. 

bannside

Nag no one at any stage is blaming hurling clubs for lack of football progress!!? Where do you get that from?

In fact come to think of it Im not sure the hurling clubs have actuslly that much to do with the recent mini revival of senior county hurling team. More like a handful of influential people got together and made it happen themselves.

Agree that football clubs need to be doing more to instigate a proper platform for progress. The reality is too many are wrapped up in their own affairs.

Id settle for a DOF with a proper support structure. That alone would be a good starting point. Its in the strategic plan for 2020 so maybe its in the offing.

Calm Down

Just seen this on Twitter

Paddy Bradiey was approached about and nominated for the vacant Antrim senior manager post, but has declined to allow his name to go forward.
He has committed to a second season with Loup

Jonkunlon

Quote from: bannside on November 17, 2020, 08:33:58 AM
Nag no one at any stage is blaming hurling clubs for lack of football progress!!? Where do you get that from?

In fact come to think of it Im not sure the hurling clubs have actuslly that much to do with the recent mini revival of senior county hurling team. More like a handful of influential people got together and made it happen themselves.

Agree that football clubs need to be doing more to instigate a proper platform for progress. The reality is too many are wrapped up in their own affairs.

Id settle for a DOF with a proper support structure. That alone would be a good starting point. Its in the strategic plan for 2020 so maybe its in the offing.

The county hurling team is doing well because they have a great squad of very talented hurlers. Furthermore they have great attacking threat and options; Ciaran Clarke, Conor McCann, James McNaughton, Neil McManus, Dan McCloskey, Niall McKenna, Domhnal Nugent and Keelan Molloy to name a few

They have pace all over the pitch. Those hurlers and the talent, pace and intensity they possess have nothing to do with a 'handful of influential people getting together'. It's a direct result of their individual talents and the development they received within their clubs.

The current management team are getting a lot out of them. That's why they're heading to Division 1 and are likely to win the second tier championship.

Milltown Row2

We've had those players a few years now... i was at Corrigan two years ago a Kerry dumped us on are ass's we were second to every ball. Kerry bate us out the gate. All of those players were available, if they wanted to commit.

We've now got a squad of players who are willing to commit for a set up that they've bought into.

I can't remember, possibly Bradley's set up, that all the best Football players bought into it.

We've plenty to pick from, plenty of divisions in Antrim both football and hurling..

We've no reason to have players who'd prefer to win with their club than their county, that mindset seems to be brought about by a lack of success at inter county level.

What's more important? This is an unusually strange year for county teams as they have their full pick, I'd say that the hurlers are missing a few other starters on that team.. injury may be a factor.. have we everyone for the footballers?
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Dunsilly King

Quote from: Jonkunlon on November 18, 2020, 08:35:42 PM

The county hurling team is doing well because they have a great squad of very talented hurlers. Furthermore they have great attacking threat and options; Ciaran Clarke, Conor McCann, James McNaughton, Neil McManus, Dan McCloskey, Niall McKenna, Domhnal Nugent and Keelan Molloy to name a few

They have pace all over the pitch. Those hurlers and the talent, pace and intensity they possess have nothing to do with a 'handful of influential people getting together'. It's a direct result of their individual talents and the development they received within their clubs.

The current management team are getting a lot out of them. That's why they're heading to Division 1 and are likely to win the second tier championship.

Great to see someone with a bit of sense, it boils down the quality of the coaching within the clubs to produce the player first, then add in the management, structure, supports, ambition and drive. Our football clubs are not producing enough players with quality. As I mentioned before our club Creggan have played local minor & u16 Derry clubs in friendlies and we seldom get close to them. Why is that do u think?

Milltown Row2

Quote from: Dunsilly King on November 18, 2020, 08:59:39 PM
Quote from: Jonkunlon on November 18, 2020, 08:35:42 PM

Great to see someone with a bit of sense, it boils down the quality of the coaching within the clubs to produce the player first, then add in the management, structure, supports, ambition and drive. Our football clubs are not producing enough players with quality. As I mentioned before our club Creggan have played local minor & u16 Derry clubs in friendlies and we seldom get close to them. Why is that do u think?

Rubbish, we managed to play in three Ulster finals two All Ireland finals and win one! Cargin pushed us every year, two teams pushing and developing players.

Hurling produced 3 teams during that period, Cushendall, Loughgiel and Dunloy, one team won a final the other reached its first.

Clubs have been doing tremendous work. That's unfair on the coaches who have produced those players.

Why your club has failed to win a championship is because they have ran up against a strongly motivated quality team. It's a mind issue for me as they have the quality to play and beat the best teams in Antrim and pit themselves against the rest.

Ask yourself one question, does your club put the same effort into its under 10 as it does it's senior team?

What Derry teams have on us is better schools football. Why no one can see that is daft!

123Bigball

Two schools who pull students from a large demographic area  and both pull from South west Antrim. Players who will have been coached within their clubs before any coach at a school gets a hold of them. I would say of the 2 clubs in the county final this year most of the players went to school in county Derry if not all of them.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: 123Bigball on November 18, 2020, 10:17:32 PM
Two schools who pull students from a large demographic area  and both pull from South west Antrim. Players who will have been coached within their clubs before any coach at a school gets a hold of them. I would say of the 2 clubs in the county final this year most of the players went to school in county Derry if not all of them.

And that's bore fruit..

The clubs in Belfast, which have the most titles in Antrim have only had brief wins in McRory cup over the years. It's not enough and we don't produce enough kids at another level that will bring that through to county level.

The ones that have it, McCanns, lads from the recent Armagh school have shown that they can play at a bigger level because of the good conditioning they got.

The more school teams we can produce the better players, the more we'll compete.

I've seen it recently through refereeing schools games around the province. These are mature strong athletes.

EOC1923

Who are the "suprise new contenders" for the Antrim job the Irish News are reporting tomorrow?

themac_23

Quote from: EOC1923 on November 18, 2020, 11:05:32 PM
Who are the "suprise new contenders" for the Antrim job the Irish News are reporting tomorrow?

Micky Harte hopefully lol