End of the Free State.

Started by Rossfan, December 29, 2015, 02:16:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rossfan

For the benefit of certain 6 Co. posters ----
Today marks the 78th anniversary of the abolition of the "Irish Free State" as the new Bunreacht na hÉireann came into effect at midnight.
This renamed the State "Eire, or in the English language Ireland".

Do try and get up to date buicìns ;)
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

Orior

Quote from: Rossfan on December 29, 2015, 02:16:26 PM
Today marks the 78th anniversary of the abolition of the "Irish Free State" as the new Bunreacht na hÉireann came into effect at midnight.

Not sure who you are getting at there boyo, but I was wondering - in what year did the Dublin government abandon its Irish citizens enslaved under British rule in the occupied six counties?
Cover me in chocolate and feed me to the lesbians

Rossfan

The Dáil accepted the Treaty in Dec 1921. There was no "Irish Government" until 1922 or 37?  There were no Irish Citizens till -1922 or 37??
I don't think the subsequent Governemnts ever took a conscious decision to "abandon Irish citizens enslaved....".
They mainly ignored them till 1969 though.

foxcommander

Quote from: Rossfan on December 29, 2015, 03:06:11 PM
I don't think the subsequent Governemnts ever took a conscious decision to "abandon Irish citizens enslaved....".

Very convenient. Fits your attitude like a glove. You'll always be a free stater.

Every second of the day there's a Democrat telling a lie

heffo

Quote from: foxcommander on December 29, 2015, 03:33:18 PM

Very convenient. Fits your attitude like a glove. You'll always be a free stater.

Does our Gerry recognise the Irish state or is just certain arms of the state which may or may not affect criminal buddies of his, that he doesn't recognise?

foxcommander

Quote from: heffo on December 29, 2015, 04:01:18 PM

Does our Gerry recognise the Irish state or is just certain arms of the state which may or may not affect criminal buddies of his, that he doesn't recognise?

Write to him and ask.
Every second of the day there's a Democrat telling a lie

seafoid

I thought its name was Suvin Island . That is what everyone in London calls it, innit
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

snoopdog

heffo

Quote from: foxcommander on December 29, 2015, 04:13:32 PM

Write to him and ask.

I would but after reading that exchange between him and John Mooney (Sunday Times) he'd probably claim he's not aware of any Free State

Rossfan

I see one eejit put his big stupid foot in it ;D
And I don't mean Snoop dog.

As for Gerry - I bet he recognises the Dàil payroll office anyway.

general_lee

What is it with this southern attitude that if you're a republican you automatically have to answer for Sinn Fein? 

ashman

Nordies

Why do yo guys call the South the free state when they is very little free here.  Frankly the place is a bit of a rip off .

I am just asking !!.

Orior

Quote from: ashman on December 29, 2015, 05:18:44 PM
Nordies

Why do yo guys call the South the free state when they is very little free here.  Frankly the place is a bit of a rip off .

I am just asking !!.

Because that is what my parents called it. I assume it to mean free from British oppression.

Orior

Quote from: general_lee on December 29, 2015, 05:07:42 PM

What is it with this southern attitude that if you're a republican you automatically have to answer for Sinn Fein?

Lol

Orior

Quote from: seafoid on December 29, 2015, 04:14:48 PM

I thought its name was Suvin Island . That is what everyone in London calls it, innit

It took a while but I eventually got it :-)