The other Referendum

Started by Rossfan, April 30, 2015, 03:52:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rossfan

Well?
A resounding "yes" or a load of blank ballot papers stuffed in the boxes?
For the record I'm voting "Yes" in this one.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

macdanger2

Yes for me, can't understand why the proposal is for 21 and not 18

magpie seanie

I assume you are talking about the utterly pointless lowering the age of eligibility to be President? What a f**king waste of time and money.

Farrandeelin

I'm voting No in this one. I think one's perceptions of the world change between 21 and 35. That's my own opinion anyway. No word about it really, so it will be interesting to see how it pans out.
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

Esmarelda

I think it's ironic how the word "Equality" is being thrown around by the Yes side in the marriage referendum, yet the other referendum is to allow someone to just run for president.
As macdanger said, if we're looking for equality, why isn't it reduced to 18? If someone runs at that age and isn't fit for office then the people will decide that. Maybe we should increase the voting age to thirty five incase people younger than that can't be trusted to make the correct decision.

Rossfan

Quote from: Farrandeelin on April 30, 2015, 08:30:31 PM
I'm voting No in this one. I think one's perceptions of the world change between 21 and 35. That's my own opinion anyway. No word about it really, so it will be interesting to see how it pans out.
Sure most 12 year olds could do that bloody job.

armaghniac

equality denying youthophobe

If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

Farrandeelin

Quote from: armaghniac on April 30, 2015, 10:55:05 PM

:D

Well I'm only 27 myself so not a case of total youthophobia!
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

armaghniac

Quote from: Farrandeelin on April 30, 2015, 10:57:11 PM
Quote from: armaghniac on April 30, 2015, 10:55:05 PM

:D

Well I'm only 27 myself so not a case of total youthophobia!

Lundy!
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

magpie seanie

My default position is not to change the constitution unless I'm persuaded there's a need. There is absolutely no need for 21-35 year olds to be allowed run for President. Definite NO from me.

Rossfan

So Shligo and that place to the West of us voting NO :(
Thank God for Roscommon to balance things by standing up for equality and progressiveness.
Justice for the U 35s!!!

Hardy

The easiest way to make these decisions is to see what the Donegal polls are saying and vote the other way.

muppet

This referendum is a fairly weak attempt to get young people out to vote, to counter the grey vote factor in the other referendum.

Anyway, we have seen throughout history infant monarchs and emperors. How bad could it be?

For example here is President George Bush at a summit with the Emperor of Rarotonga:

MWWSI 2017

Billys Boots

Quote from: Hardy on May 01, 2015, 01:06:32 AM
The easiest way to make these decisions is to see what the Donegal polls are saying and vote the other way.

That's sound advice - keep me posted with what's going on up there!   ;)
My hands are stained with thistle milk ...

deiseach

Quote from: Rossfan on April 30, 2015, 10:42:44 PM
Sure most 12 year olds could do that bloody job.

But would they be tall enough?