Tyrone v Monaghan, Sun 20th May, Healy Park

Started by tyroneman, April 04, 2018, 06:45:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

seafoid

In the Qfs round 4 could be tricky. Cork will probably lose the Munster final (otherwise it will be Tipp)  and Connacht will provide either Roscommon or Galway. Ros have good forwards and so do Galway. Leinster will provide a demoralised team.
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

GrandMasterFlash

Absolutely delighted with the win but more so with the performance. Monaghan showed serious patience ande experience after a rocky enough start.. Going 5-2 down we were concerned that Tyrone would steal a march and then shut the game out. Instead, Monaghan upped the ante, ran at the Tyrone defence from all sorts of angles and broke tackle after tackle to pick off their scores. Believe me, you'd have been laughed at if you used the above parlance when talking about Tyrone and Monaghan a few years ago..

Tyrone definitely lost the side-line battle. Mickey Harte outfoxed Monaghan management for years so this was unusual to witness yesterday. We were standing on the terrace where the Tyrone team were doing their warm up (mostly non-contact stuff without the ball). It was evident that neither Cavanagh, Brennan or McCann were as sharp as the others, and I'm sure they were all well warmed up prior to that stage. Having to call all three to shore really zapped the confidence out of the team, surely bringing them on to give the team a lift would have been better. Arrogance, complacency or just bad selection on the part of MH?

Some of the scores were top class and put way to the myth that the blanket defence has totally destroyed the game and diminished the scoring ability. Give me a McAnespie/Mone/McManus score any day compared to some diminutive corner forward running into an acre and turning and shooting.

Some of the dispossessions too were text book. Monaghans control around the middle dictated the play and ultimately led to victory. That was in big part due to the performance of Rory Beggan, who put on a masterclass..

It has to be said, the arrogance and cockiness of some Tyrone posters prior to the match in calling Monaghan supporters arrogant and cocky was surprising. Monaghan folk were quietly confident of going to Omagh yesterday and winning, and this was based purely on our consistent performances of late and the strengh in our panel, and of course McManus and Beggan.. On that note, it annoyed me to hear the boos and chants coming from the stand directly behind where McManus was taking the sideline frees in the second half, although they were extinguished after he pushed the second one high, beyond the far post and over the black spot..  ;)

The delay (about 1 hour 10mins) getting out of Omagh was shocking. Folk who give out about Clones and its traffic problems need to think again..

Aristo 60

To some all that up.. our team is better than yours ... and to rub salt in the wound, so are our roads  ::)

spuds

Quote from: Aristo 60 on May 21, 2018, 03:16:00 PM
To some all that up.. our team is better than yours ... and to rub salt in the wound, so are our roads  ::)
You forgot spelling.
"As I get older I notice the years less and the seasons more."
John Hubbard

omagh_gael

Hard to know how to feel about RoN, he did nothing of note at all when introduced but again problems may further out the field. However, McAliskey played very well and made opportunities for himself.

Conal McCann was disappointing when he came in. Gave away a very cheap ball and lost another when he had a five yard headstart on the Monaghan men. Nearly sure the later ended In a Monaghan score.

Still think the back door could do us no harm. As long as the draw is kind enough it can give the panel more opportunities to stretch their legs and givethe likes of Colm more chance to get the game time built up. As always though the safety net is gone, might be the kick up the arse some of our lads need.

trileacman

Quote from: Taylor on May 21, 2018, 02:19:21 PM
Quote from: trileacman on May 21, 2018, 02:08:36 PM
Quote from: Taylor on May 21, 2018, 10:48:06 AM
Quote from: WT4E on May 21, 2018, 10:38:06 AM
Quote from: Taylor on May 21, 2018, 08:24:42 AM
Jaysus but where would a man start analysing the game.

MH has to take a lot of responsibility for this loss. I am still a great fan of his but we have to call a spade a spade.

Collie obviously wasnt fit but still started and Brennan seemed to run out of steam. Surely if both boys could only play a certain amount of time they would be better coming off the bench?
His treatment of RON is an absolute disgrace. Used him as a scapegoat.
It is good to see we now have a full forward line rather than 1 player up front but we now have nothing on the 40.

Didnt see the Morgan kick while at the game and genuinely thought Mc Carron was playacting but after watching it at home it was a clear red. What did the umpires see to warrant a yellow?

A few Monaghan mucksavages in the stands would do well to wash their mouths out this morning.

I think this shows alot when you consider a limited club manager would do something like this - When alls going wrong for your team out the field take the corner forward off!  ::)

Point I made in Tyrone section which some dont like as it questions MH.

I understand ONeill wasnt playing well but surely at this level we need to address where the actual problems were stemming from.

WTF we were hoping to achieve by taking off the corner forward I dont know. We were getting over ran in the middle.

Monaghan running at angles and pulling us all over the place.

You've answered your own question there and you don't even know it. Monaghan packed the middle third and disrupted our running game, taking sludden, Harte, Mc Shane, Mc Clure out of the match. Only matty and meyler really got going.

Replacing RON with a big mobile physical presence in the middle (conal) was an attempt to gain parity around the middle. Taking off Ron and replacing him with another corner forward to be starved of ball would have been madness.

If you're going to criticise Harte then pick legitimate complaints like letting Pete play 70 mins or bringing on the ineffective conal or Ron who were both shite. Ron was shite, play 40 mins and touched the ball twice, one of which was a hospital pass to Mc Shane.

And it took him 62mins to realise this? We were comprehensively outplayed from the 15th minute on

FFS I am a MH fan as much as the next man but he took the easy option yesterday in taking RON off.

It was as comfortable 3 point victory as you are likely to see.

We were level with 5 or 6 mins to play so we were far from comprehensively outplayed. We were only comprehensively outplayed for the last 5 mins. When we had reeled Monaghan in wth 5 mins to play I'd say there was a few despondent Monaghan hearts around. Had Mc Manus not scored that wonder free we would have had the possession and chance to take the lead so it's bs to state that we were comprehensively outplayed. We spilled two simple kick outs in succession to go from 1 point down to 3 points down. Once that happened the game was as good as up.
Fantasy Rugby World Cup Champion 2011,
Fantasy 6 Nations Champion 2014

Under Lights

You say that but I think we were always struggle to keep the close to Monaghan throughout the game, they just pulled away in last 10 mins. Our tactics found out to be honest. To concede 1-18 is very poor considering we would see ourselves as rock hard in defence.

GrandMasterFlash

Quote from: Aristo 60 on May 21, 2018, 03:16:00 PM

;D

blewuporstuffed

Quote from: Under Lights on May 21, 2018, 03:40:08 PM
You say that but I think we were always struggle to keep the close to Monaghan throughout the game, they just pulled away in last 10 mins. Our tactics found out to be honest. To concede 1-18 is very poor considering we would see ourselves as rock hard in defence.

Tyrone led for pretty much the whole first half, monaghan only took the lead in first half injury time
I can only please one person per day. Today is not your day. Tomorrow doesn't look good either

Snapchap

FFS I never read as much dung as I've seen on this page about RON being 'hard done by'.

He was on the field for 40 minutes and (as was highlighted in todays Irish News) did not get one single touch of the ball. On what planet would he not be substituted? I could get my head around the criticisms if he was being replaced by another corner forward who would be equally 'starved of possession', but he was not replaced by another corner forward.

Besides, you can make all the excuses you want about the poor supply but any forward (or any player in any position bar goalkeeper) who does not get a single touch of the ball in 40 minutes of play is not in a position to throw a hissy fit about being taken off.

Under Lights

Quote from: blewuporstuffed on May 21, 2018, 03:44:01 PM
Quote from: Under Lights on May 21, 2018, 03:40:08 PM

Tyrone led for pretty much the whole first half, monaghan only took the lead in first half injury time

Despite the score I never felt like Tyrone were on top or in control of the game. Always felt that the scales were tipped in Monaghan's favour.

McManus is a joy. Enjoy him while you can.

upmonaghansayswe

Quote from: Fuzzman on May 21, 2018, 01:45:43 PM
What did Harte do on the sideline lads that he was losing the head?

Noice to see the Farney Army enjoying themselves yesterday in the rain and today in the lime light.

Like ourselves they're gracious in victory which shows how little beating us means to them.

Nothing on the sideline. Peter swinging his fist.

Ah I enjoyed seeing a few posters setting themselves up for the fall.

trailer

Quote from: omagh_gael on May 21, 2018, 03:29:34 PM
Hard to know how to feel about RoN, he did nothing of note at all when introduced but again problems may further out the field. However, McAliskey played very well and made opportunities for himself.

Conal McCann
was disappointing when he came in. Gave away a very cheap ball and lost another when he had a five yard headstart on the Monaghan men. Nearly sure the later ended In a Monaghan score.

Still think the back door could do us no harm. As long as the draw is kind enough it can give the panel more opportunities to stretch their legs and givethe likes of Colm more chance to get the game time built up. As always though the safety net is gone, might be the kick up the arse some of our lads need.

Not Senior inter county standard. Very ordinary player. Must have naked pics of MH.
RO'N should sort himself out and work a bit harder instead of acting like a spoilt child. He wasn't at the races and deserved the Sheppard's crook.

gallsman

Quote from: trailer on May 21, 2018, 04:38:28 PM

Conal McCann
was disappointing when he came in. Gave away a very cheap ball and lost another when he had a five yard headstart on the Monaghan men. Nearly sure the later ended In a Monaghan score.

Not Senior inter county standard.

At least he's sorted out the hair. Pity we can't say the same about a few of the Monaghan backstreet boys.

trailer

Quote from: gallsman on May 21, 2018, 05:05:29 PM
Quote from: trailer on May 21, 2018, 04:38:28 PM

Conal McCann

Not Senior inter county standard.

At least he's sorted out the hair. Pity we can't say the same about a few of the Monaghan backstreet boys.

Tbf the Monaghan no.12 with the grey highlights (name escapes me) had a pretty good game. Got on a lot of ball.