Down v Armagh. June 4th

Started by tonto1888, May 13, 2017, 09:58:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bennydorano

Down Wans obviously haven't been paying attention to the Oranje through the league, glorious at times going forward, speed & accuracy aplenty. Shite at the back and the fact that it was Division 3 teams we did it against are the main drawbacks.

We'll have to pull back on the attacking flair and solidify at the back, I just hope we don't revert to the God awful football we had to endure in previous years. There's a definite balance to be found.

mcklatchee

Totally winnable game for Armagh. Injuries in the defensive lines would be problematic. Only doubt otherwise is midfield. If we can put out a pairing that can break even we have enough elsewhere to get over the line.
If you must ask a difficult question, ask someone else in 5 years time. I have a 5 yr plan you know

T Fearon

Does it matter when a semi final hiding against Monaghan awaits?

Smurfy123

Fancy Down to win by 3-4 points based on both league campaigns
Playing at the higher level should really stand by us
Any news coming out of either camps?
Tony your obsessed with Monaghan
Let it go and let's talk about this match

mcklatchee

Quote from: T Fearon on May 28, 2017, 07:59:52 PM

If sport matters at all then this game matters.

Even a pessimist like yourself must see the benefits of entering the qualifiers at a later stage
If you must ask a difficult question, ask someone else in 5 years time. I have a 5 yr plan you know

T Fearon

It matters for bragging rights in Newry,but those of us with longer memories will weep at how far both these counties are from the summit with little prospect of returning any time soon.

naka

Quote from: T Fearon on May 28, 2017, 11:30:00 PM
It matters for bragging rights in Newry,but those of us with longer memories will weep at how far both these counties are from the summit with little prospect of returning any time soon.
Interesting comments Tony.
We had 7 good years from 1999 before that we were mediocre
As an Armagh man I remember 1982-1999 whenever every season we started in hope but ended in despair
I remember down hammering us of the gate in 1992
Derry doing the same in the 90s before the two Brian's took charge
So for me Sunday counts, we have a decent group of committed players and the football has been good to watch.
If we can close the defence we will have a forward line that will do real damage.assuming we win we can then work towards the next game.

illdecide

Attention seeker Fearon trying to ruin this thread too ::), you probably don't even like yourself ;).

Really can't believe i'm going to miss this game on Sunday but i've a feeling i'll get to see the replay as it could well finish off a draw, I don't think there is much between the teams TBH i'd have Armagh a few pts a better team than Down but playing Down in Newry is worth a few pts to them and could well finish up a draw, it should be close one way or the other.
I can swim a little but i can't fly an inch

you take er!

I'm looking forward to this now - it should give us the first close game in the Ulster Championship at least. I feel that Armagh have a better attack (potentially) and can exploit Down's defensive issues. Nothing is certain of course but i would like to think that this Armagh team will finally begin to show some progress. Forwards like Jamie, Soupy, Murnin, Grugan, & O'Neill all have great scoring ability, something we haven't had one the one pitch for some time. Armagh by 4

tonto1888

Of course it matters. what a bloody stupid comment

SHEEDY

Quote from: tonto1888 on May 29, 2017, 03:56:56 PM

it matters all right. as a down man i dont want to be leaving newry on sunday listening to gloating armagh fans. 
nil satis nisi optimum

seafoid

I am expecting Armagh to be on top for 65 minutes with Down scoring 3 goals in the last 5.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bjOV9O3NEUk
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

OgraAnDun

Quote from: SHEEDY on May 29, 2017, 04:04:14 PM
Quote from: tonto1888 on May 29, 2017, 03:56:56 PM

it matters all right. as a down man i dont want to be leaving newry on sunday listening to gloating armagh fans.

Tony's just p*ssed off he accidentally booked the Canal Court for last weekend instead.

T Fearon

Sadly this is a fixture effectively between two Division 3 teams,akin to a meeting of Fermanagh and Antrim, i.e. Meaningless in the grand scheme of things.Time was, when Ulster was a relatively level playing field,a win in this fixture could have been the catalyst for a real crack at an Ulster title.Now sadly the winner will be the weakest link in the semi finals among the big three,and no prospects for either team for a decent run in the qualifiers.It is painful for all true Armagh and Down fans who like me must be wondering how it was allowed to come to this.

armaghniac

If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B