TV Show recommendations

Started by Archie Mitchell, June 23, 2009, 11:32:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Milltown Row2

Quote from: hardstation on May 22, 2020, 11:10:57 PM
Quote from: Milltown Row2 on May 22, 2020, 11:05:25 PM
I've a few mates who are basketball fanatics! Our club had a very successful team back in The day. Few international players, games would have been played in Andytown leisure centre for the games..
I remember that. How did it come about?

John Kennedy (rip) was the big motivator in that, the McGourtys and Gribbies and big PJ were big players
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Tony Baloney

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on May 22, 2020, 11:29:17 PM
I've a few mates who are basketball fanatics! Our club had a very successful team back in The day. Few international players, games would have been played in Andytown leisure centre for the games..

John Kennedy (rip) was the big motivator in that, the McGourtys and Gribbies and big PJ were big players
There is a Belfast fella in work called John Kennedy who's big into his basketball. Wonder if any relation.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: Tony Baloney on May 23, 2020, 12:27:06 AM
Quote from: Milltown Row2 on May 22, 2020, 11:29:17 PM

There is a Belfast fella in work called John Kennedy who's big into his basketball. Wonder if any relation.

Possibly, the Kennedy's were huge players both GAA and basketball,  John Kennedy sr was the main player, we brought many college and ex players from the states over, they were enjoying our Wed nights in the club  ;D. Very popular with the local ladies
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

An Watcher

Basketball was big in Strabane and St Colmans HS back in the day

imtommygunn

Are st Malachys Belfast not big into basketball? Looking at donaghy's laochra Gael show the top league looks to have a bit of a following.

bennydorano

St Pat's in Armagh have multiple Ulsters &  All Irelands in Basketball in various grades down through the years, died away for a bit there but back at it again now, have won C & B grades again recently.

lurganblue

Quote from: bennydorano on May 23, 2020, 08:54:35 AM
St Pat's in Armagh have multiple Ulsters &  All Irelands in Basketball in various grades down through the years, died away for a bit there but back at it again now, have won C & B grades again recently.
Yeah noticed they won the all Ireland again this year and even went over to New York to do a bit. It was always big in St Pat's. I always enjoyed playing it in the school but wouldn't have competed on the teams due to being vertically challenged :)

gallsman

Quote from: Main Street on May 22, 2020, 10:02:38 PM
I never would have guessed that basketball was such a popular sport here with so many knowledgeable followers, who must have played the game at some level themselves and avidly followed the fortunes of Michael Jordon et al in the NBA in the 1990s, however that was possible -  perhaps by a transatlantic phone connection?
Perhaps we just knew things differently before broadband. We'd look at a photo in the newspaper and just know that such and such was a class act.

Ignorant prat in reveals ignorance shocker.

Quote from: imtommygunn on May 23, 2020, 08:01:42 AM
Are st Malachys Belfast not big into basketball? Looking at donaghy's laochra Gael show the top league looks to have a bit of a following.

St. Malachy's would always have been big into basketball. OLSP Knock a big school for it as well. James Loughery, of St. Brigid's and Antrim (and subsequently and more notably Cork) fame went to Knock and was an exceptional basketball player when he was younger and would have played far more organised basketball than football until St. Brigid's was founded.

imtommygunn

Didn't know that about loughrey.

Rois

I never would have guessed that basketball was such a popular sport here with so many knowledgeable followers, who must have played the game at some level themselves and avidly followed the fortunes of Michael Jordon et al in the NBA in the 1990s, however that was possible -  perhaps by a transatlantic phone connection?

Even I was a basketball fan in the 90s - I recorded the late night games that were broadcast by c4 (definitely a few programmes broadcast per week) and followed the league closely at the time. I used to get this bi-weekly magazine/newspaper thing on the NBA, and had poster of Michael Jordan in my room...no transatlantic phonecalls required.

Quote from: An Watcher on May 23, 2020, 06:20:48 AM
Basketball was big in Strabane and St Colmans HS back in the day
Yeah, the incredibly enthusiastic coach in Strabane certainly got me playing the game (which I kept playing through uni with Queen's - not an overly-successful team, but the inter-varsities tournaments were great craic).

Newbridge Exile

i went to a good few star of the sea games at Maysfield, it was a decent standard with Gareth Maguire , Aidrain Fulton and Javan Dupree  to the fore.
It must have been C4 but i definitely  remember watching some of these laker / celtic finals in the 80;s ( as well as the bulls finals of the 90s )

gallsman

Quote from: imtommygunn on May 23, 2020, 12:02:20 PM
Didn't know that about loughrey.

Don't think he really took football seriously until he was 16 or 17.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: Newbridge Exile on May 23, 2020, 03:50:15 PM
i went to a good few star of the sea games at Maysfield, it was a decent standard with Gareth Maguire , Aidrain Fulton and Javan Dupree  to the fore.
It must have been C4 but i definitely  remember watching some of these laker / celtic finals in the 80;s ( as well as the bulls finals of the 90s )

Played football with Gareth Maguire, serious athlete and took to football late on. Lives by me here see him most days on the beach. Good guy

bennydorano

Watching Love / Hate again (3rd), must have been just the right amount of time since the last one as I'm back in the zone. Missed Frano's dulcet tones.

dec

Perhaps we just knew things differently before broadband. We'd look at a photo in the newspaper and just know that such and such was a class act.

The NBA was shown on UK TV, probably Channel 4, at least as early as 1987. I remember watching the highlights of this game on TV http://blog.hoopskills.com/larry-bird-steal/