The Ryder Cup 2014 - Gleneagles

Started by laoislad, September 02, 2014, 01:55:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

thewobbler

The Mickleson comments are, sadly and unfortunately, the only potential outcome when the role of a captain is overstated to the point that the players start believing it.

There is no logical reason for USA taking a hiding today, so it means the illogical is allowed to rear its head.

Orior

Quote from: thewobbler on September 28, 2014, 10:32:32 PM
The Mickleson comments are, sadly and unfortunately, the only potential outcome when the role of a captain is overstated to the point that the players start believing it.

There is no logical reason for USA taking a hiding today, so it means the illogical is allowed to rear its head.

I am surprised how poor Bubba was today, but I suppose if you are a southern country yokel then you dont travel well.

Mickleson was right about Tom Watson. The latter was the wrong choice for captain and with the right picks then things may have been closer.

I imagine the USA would have liked Billy Horschel to be there.
Cover me in chocolate and feed me to the lesbians

Orior

By the way, I admire what Patrick Reed did on the sixth green(?) after hearing the idiot taunt him on the first tee box.

ONeill

Reed was the only Yank looking to take the game to Europe.
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

Applesisapples

I see McIlroy couldn't help himself again, wrapping the loyalist rag around his neck. Time NI had a flag that isn't linked to one side of this divided community.

ONeill

Time we stopped giving a fcuk about flags.
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

Applesisapples

::)
Quote from: ONeill on September 28, 2014, 11:52:42 PM
Easy to say, if he didn't give a f**k he'd have left it off. I've had friends killed in the name of that rag. I don't expect him to wear a tricolour either as the RA have tarnished it.

thebigfella

Quote from: Applesisapples on September 28, 2014, 11:55:48 PM
Easy to say, if he didn't give a f**k he'd have left it off. I've had friends killed in the name of that rag. I don't expect him to wear a tricolour either as the RA have tarnished it.

f**k up and quit looking to be offended.

Asal Mor

Nothing wrong with Mickelson voicing his opinion. Maybe it's not very nice, but this is top level sport, not the community games. In the NFL, rookie Nate Freese was cut recently by the Detroit Lions after 3 games for missing 4 of his first 7 field goals, and is now without a team. His coach said afterwards that he had no sympathy for him. This is the NFL and you have to make those kicks. If he'd won, Watson would have soaked up the adulation just like McGinley will. The captain's job might be 90% luck and horsesh!t but this is what Tom signed up for. I'm sure he'll get a few quid for his troubles.

haranguerer

Big over reaction to Phils comments - he was asked directly what the difference was in 2008 when the US won, and the three Ryder cups since - if thats what he thought, then thats what he should say. It wasn't the direct attack on Tom Watson that its said to have been, if it was an attack on anyone, rather than just prasie of Azinger, and suggestions going forward, then it was equally split (and thus well diluted) between the last three US captains.

Applesisapples

Quote from: thebigfella on September 29, 2014, 12:30:25 AM

Oh so the thought police have joined the site? Flags and emblems in case you haven't noticed are at the heart of the problems in the North at the moment. That flag is flown from thousands of lamp posts and at Twadell and City Hall. not to mention being paraded through our towns and villages all in an effort to remind 40 odd % of the population of their place. McIlroy can not be so naive as to not know this. I am entitled to an opinion, you may disagree, I assume from your abusive comment that you do. This is a discussion forum and there does not have to be uniformity of thought otherwise what is the point?

Mikhailov

Quote from: mrdeeds on September 28, 2014, 10:31:18 PM
Players will always want to play. Can't have input. Captain has to pick based on what he thinks best and not sentiment. Gmac hinted he not happy at game time but not an issue because Europe won. Europe were always going to win with the bigger talent pool at this moment. Hope for USA future with performance of youngsters. Darren Clarke big favourite  for captaincy for next one.

Clarke maybe favourite but may not get it. Will they let 2 Irish men get it in a row with the possibility that Harrington may want it down the line also. Other notable candidates are Bjorn and Jimenez and not many others. The next one in Europe is in France so they may want a mainland European captain for that one which may help Clarkes case. However, the next one in Hazeltine will be pressurized - the US will NOT want to lose it and will do everything to win it back after this shambles. It may not be the right time to take the Euro captaincy but then again you don't have a choice in this thing...if the yanks decide to go for broke then they will put Azinger or Freddie Couples in as Captain and they will be popular choices and will generate the proper attitude from the US players. The next USA team will have Reed, Speith, Horshel, Dustin Johnson etc etc on the team - all young lads who will gel much better and put up a great fight.

David McKeown

Was there not a lot of talk when McGinley got appointed that he'd get a home one and Clarke would get the away one because McGinley didn't have the profile for a U.S. Ryder cup?
2022 Allianz League Prediction Competition Winner

screenexile

Europe were favourites for this Ryder Cup and it basically worked out like that.

Yes the Americans could have made a better fist of it but in all honesty Europe had the better players and so it transpired. The European team is quite young also so you can't see it being much different in 2 years time unless a few more Americans appear (DJ and Horschel will help as well I would think).

Previously there hasn't been much in it but European Golf is performing much better than the Yanks at the minute. In time this will swing back round again and the Yanks will start to dominate again.

Orior

Quote from: Applesisapples on September 29, 2014, 08:52:22 AM
Quote from: thebigfella on September 29, 2014, 12:30:25 AM

Oh so the thought police have joined the site? Flags and emblems in case you haven't noticed are at the heart of the problems in the North at the moment. That flag is flown from thousands of lamp posts and at Twadell and City Hall. not to mention being paraded through our towns and villages all in an effort to remind 40 odd % of the population of their place. McIlroy can not be so naive as to not know this. I am entitled to an opinion, you may disagree, I assume from your abusive comment that you do. This is a discussion forum and there does not have to be uniformity of thought otherwise what is the point?

Exactly. You do not see occupied six flags at any golf club, so why bring them to the Ryder cup?