The Ryder Cup 2014 - Gleneagles

Started by laoislad, September 02, 2014, 01:55:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

nrico2006

Quote from: Franko on September 30, 2014, 12:51:24 PM
The response of the Ryder Cup players to McGinley's performance would indicate that they believe his role was pretty crucial.  And let's face it... they'd probably know...

As AZ said, after winning they are going to be all loved up and say only great things about him and every other one on the team. But would have been some craic if they had lost.  Just as in the case of Watson, there would have been no bad talk from any players at news conferences if his team had won.
'To the extreme I rock a mic like a vandal, light up a stage and wax a chump like a candle.'

Sidney

McGinley was only ever involved in this for self-gratification and the fact that he wants no more to do with the European team, now that he's secured a lucrative after-dinner speaking career (despite being an appalling public speaker) off the back of it, proves this. Compare that to the way former winning captains Jose-Maria Olazabal and Tom Watson served their respective causes again without hesitation when asked, risking their winning legacies in the process, and you see the calibre of man who truly sacrifices himself for the good of the team. It was never about that with McGinley. It was only about him. Darren Clarke backed the Field Marshal for the captaincy for one reason - he knew it was in the best interests of the team. Now it looks as if McGinley will try to extract his pound of flesh from the former Open champion and scupper his captaincy bid. Clarke is a man who put aside his acute personal grief after the death of his wife to selflessly serve the European cause in 2006. And now McGinley wants to stab him in the back. Only he doesn't have the honesty or the balls to admit it.

AZOffaly

McGinley's on the panel to select his successor, so he's already doing 'more' with the team. I know you're winding, but you need to do a better job on your material.

Old yeller

Quote from: Sidney on September 30, 2014, 01:04:54 PM
McGinley was only ever involved in this for self-gratification and the fact that he wants no more to do with the European team, now that he's secured a lucrative after-dinner speaking career (despite being an appalling public speaker) off the back of it, proves this. Compare that to the way former winning captains Jose-Maria Olazabal and Tom Watson served their respective causes again without hesitation when asked, risking their winning legacies in the process, and you see the calibre of man who truly sacrifices himself for the good of the team. It was never about that with McGinley. It was only about him. Darren Clarke backed the Field Marshal for the captaincy for one reason - he knew it was in the best interests of the team. Now it looks as if McGinley will try to extract his pound of flesh from the former Open champion and scupper his captaincy bid. Clarke is a man who put aside his acute personal grief after the death of his wife to selflessly serve the European cause in 2006. And now McGinley wants to stab him in the back. Only he doesn't have the honesty or the balls to admit it.
You are some header lad, just admit you were wrong

Mikhailov

This is correct but I would expect better from McGinley than to start scuppering DC bid - surely he is more professional than that. Also I do believe that Rory will attempt to be peacemaker in this dispute and bring the 2 lads back to the original relationship of 'best mates on tour'. Obviously a lot has gone wrong when you consider the previous friendship  between the 2 men - PMcG at the private funeral of DC wife Heather, kids at same school etc so a lot of damage has been done but hopefully can be repaired but it appears the wounds are still deep....

screenexile

Quote from: AZOffaly on September 30, 2014, 12:06:00 PM
Captain in golf seems to be the most bizarrely celebrated and blamed role in sport. I see him as a facilitator, let the players play, and make sure things are in place for them around the actual golf itself. The locker room, the meeting rooms etc. After that, it's like Under 12 C. Make sure everyone gets a game at some stage, and try not to take off your best players. I'd say a lot of people would make a good stab at it.

Yeah but when you see the complete mess Faldo made of it you can appreciate that McGinley did put a lot of work in and as Europe got the win it's hard to argue he did a good job.

Franko

If you're going to wind at least try a bit of humour... this is just boring...

Walter Cronc

Quote from: screenexile on September 30, 2014, 01:35:17 PM
Quote from: AZOffaly on September 30, 2014, 12:06:00 PM
Captain in golf seems to be the most bizarrely celebrated and blamed role in sport. I see him as a facilitator, let the players play, and make sure things are in place for them around the actual golf itself. The locker room, the meeting rooms etc. After that, it's like Under 12 C. Make sure everyone gets a game at some stage, and try not to take off your best players. I'd say a lot of people would make a good stab at it.

Yeah but when you see the complete mess Faldo made of it you can appreciate that McGinley did put a lot of work in and as Europe got the win it's hard to argue he did a good job.

Faldo couldn't organise a piss up in a brewery!!

Franko

Quote from: nrico2006 on September 30, 2014, 12:58:50 PM
The response of the Ryder Cup players to McGinley's performance would indicate that they believe his role was pretty crucial.  And let's face it... they'd probably know...

As AZ said, after winning they are going to be all loved up and say only great things about him and every other one on the team. But would have been some craic if they had lost.  Just as in the case of Watson, there would have been no bad talk from any players at news conferences if his team had won.

Not necessarily - I don't think I've ever seen as many players actively coming out and praising the captain for his role (without being asked I might add).  They'd easily get away with saying nothing.

AZOffaly

Quote from: Franko on September 30, 2014, 01:39:58 PM

Not necessarily - I don't think I've ever seen as many players actively coming out and praising the captain for his role (without being asked I might add).  They'd easily get away with saying nothing.

I think he was popular, and he helped with the atmosphere around the place. I think he did bring an attention to detail to the off the course stuff which they appreciated. But to be honest a popular office administrator would do something similar. I see the captain's role in the Ryder Cup as a facilitator.

*However* there's little doubt that if you are a bit of a dick, and piss the players off, they are liable to under perform, a lá Faldo and apparently Watson this time. I just don't think it's a monumental tactical achievement to not piss off your players, have a nice atmosphere around the place, and just pick them to play. It would be a bit different if the Captains had to take turns in naming their order first, and allow the other lad to react. Then at least there'd be a bit of tactics involved.

screenexile

Quote from: AZOffaly on September 30, 2014, 01:47:23 PM

I think he was popular, and he helped with the atmosphere around the place. I think he did bring an attention to detail to the off the course stuff which they appreciated. But to be honest a popular office administrator would do something similar. I see the captain's role in the Ryder Cup as a facilitator.

*However* there's little doubt that if you are a bit of a dick, and piss the players off, they are liable to under perform, a lá Faldo and apparently Watson this time. I just don't think it's a monumental tactical achievement to not piss off your players, have a nice atmosphere around the place, and just pick them to play. It would be a bit different if the Captains had to take turns in naming their order first, and allow the other lad to react. Then at least there'd be a bit of tactics involved.

I think the work done behind the scenes on his matchups needs to be spoken of as well. He was working hard on Debuisson and GMac well before the competition and obviously the other lads had an idea of who they would be playing with and were told to start working with eachother from months out.

It looks like Watson rocked up and just put a load of lads together. Ironically what would have been viewed as a big mistake at the time turned out to be his only plus in playing the 2 rookies together. They should have played all 5 matches though to be fair

johnneycool

Quote from: AZOffaly on September 30, 2014, 01:47:23 PM

I presume there'd be a bit of tactics on the match ups, but I'm sure a bit of that is luck of the draw especially on the last days pairings.

NAG1

Can we just all agree that it is just a big jolly every couple of years for the players, they get a week off from their respective tours to get together with their mates, play a few rounds and have a few beers at the end of it.

It is all very nicey nicey, no one really falls out and they are all good chaps. The spectators rock up have a few jars and embarrass themselves with some ridiculous chanting for a few days and sure its all good craic.

AZOffaly

Quote from: NAG1 on September 30, 2014, 02:32:21 PM
Can we just all agree that it is just a big jolly every couple of years for the players, they get a week off from their respective tours to get together with their mates, play a few rounds and have a few beers at the end of it.

It is all very nicey nicey, no one really falls out and they are all good chaps. The spectators rock up have a few jars and embarrass themselves with some ridiculous chanting for a few days and sure its all good craic.

I don't think it's a jolly. The Europeans genuinely seem to get 'into' it, while the Americans look to be seriously pissed off to be losing.

screenexile

Quote from: AZOffaly on September 30, 2014, 02:34:01 PM
Quote from: NAG1 on September 30, 2014, 02:32:21 PM

I don't think it's a jolly. The Europeans genuinely seem to get 'into' it, while the Americans look to be seriously pissed off to be losing.

Indeed. These lads are professional athletes and pride more than anything would mean they're not going to f**k about on a stage as big as the Ryder Cup. Also seeing Olazabal's reaction the last time they won it would prove that it's far from a jolly for a lot of the lads!