Down versus Mayo

Started by SamFever, June 10, 2019, 10:20:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Farrandeelin

Quote from: larryin89 on June 15, 2019, 02:13:50 PM
Disaster for Mattie ruane, the team and us lot too. Wish him all the best in his recovery , should still make it back for Breaffy who might fancy their chances this year.

Cillian is also rumored to not be near 100%, I think we are as well off out of 2019 championship at this stage , nobody is really up for it , ya can feel it , there is an air of acceptance now the good run has ended.

I sincerely hope when commentators on both social media and mainstream start writing the aul obituaries that they do take a moment and give a little credit to this band of absolute warriors who have given everything they could the last six/seven years and just came up a little shy of winning it out. There is no need for the nastiness at all , the battle is lost now , when a team leaves the stage like this a bit of respect should be shown.

Musha larry, the likes of the last two posts after yours show the 'esteem' they were held countrywide, so I wouldn't hold my breath. First is first and second is nowhere and all that, though.

I think Down will win next weekend.
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

dublin7

Disaster for Mattie ruane, the team and us lot too. Wish him all the best in his recovery , should still make it back for Breaffy who might fancy their chances this year.

Cillian is also rumored to not be near 100%, I think we are as well off out of 2019 championship at this stage , nobody is really up for it , ya can feel it , there is an air of acceptance now the good run has ended.

I sincerely hope when commentators on both social media and mainstream start writing the aul obituaries that they do take a moment and give a little credit to this band of absolute warriors who have given everything they could the last six/seven years and just came up a little shy of winning it out. There is no need for the nastiness at all , the battle is lost now , when a team leaves the stage like this a bit of respect should be shown.

Do you think we should organise a minutes applause for a specific time so people wherever they are can show their appreciation. I mean, it's not like Mayo have got much coverage in the media down the years

highorlow

I didn't think gaels would stoop to the soccer lads level on this board, obviously I'm wrong.
They get momentum, they go mad, here they go

Rossfan

"gaels" ::)
Are you Joe Brolly?
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

macdanger2

Quote from: Tubberman on June 15, 2019, 01:00:22 PM
confirmed by indo. Ruane broke his collar bone in training

https://m.independent.ie/sport/gaelic-games/gaelic-football/blow-for-mayo-as-new-midfield-star-matthew-ruane-sidelined-with-broken-collar-bone-38221636.html

Disappointing for him and probably a killer blow for our chances this season although I still think we'll win next weekend. On the plus side, it's an injury that shouldn't affect him too much in the future

yellowcard

I think Down could spring a surprise in this one, Mayo are on a sharp decline, a lot of old and tired legs in that side. Away from home on a Saturday night it's perfectly set up for an ambush and I think Down quietly fancy their chances.

snoopdog

While Down will give this game all they have and will believe in their chances. Down are still a Div 3 side.

Hound

It's utterly bizarre the reaction people have for Mayo losing a game by a SINGLE point after hitting a sea of wides and missing a relatively easy free with the last kick.

Mayo with a full deck are still the second best team in the country and the team the Dubs most fear playing.

Down are 11/2 to beat Mayo. All the geniuses who write off Mayo can fill their boots. Massive odds for a 2 horse race.

That means if you bet 20 on Down,
You lose 20

thewobbler

Quote from: yellowcard on June 15, 2019, 08:12:30 PM
I think Down could spring a surprise in this one, Mayo are on a sharp decline, a lot of old and tired legs in that side. Away from home on a Saturday night it's perfectly set up for an ambush and I think Down quietly fancy their chances.

Mayo won D1 of the league 6 weeks ago, without their key forward.

Since then they've lost one match, against another D1 team, when they kicked two dozen wides.

I'm not sure you actually understand what a sharp decline is.

twohands!!!

Mayo's record in the qualifiers the last few years.

Kildare 0-21 Mayo 0-19
Tipperary 1-11 Mayo 1-19
Limerick 3-7 Mayo 5-19

Mayo 2-21 Derry 1-13 After Extra-Time
Clare 0-13 Mayo 2-14
Mayo 0-27 Cork 2-20 After Extra-Time

Mayo 3-15 Westmeath 1-14
Mayo 2-17 Kildare 0-14
Mayo 2-14 Fermanagh 1-12

Looking at these results, it's mind-boggling how close they got in 2016 and 2017.

From the Bunker

Quote from: twohands!!! on June 15, 2019, 10:48:04 PM
Mayo's record in the qualifiers the last few years.

Kildare 0-21 Mayo 0-19
Tipperary 1-11 Mayo 1-19
Limerick 3-7 Mayo 5-19

Mayo 2-21 Derry 1-13 After Extra-Time
Clare 0-13 Mayo 2-14
Mayo 0-27 Cork 2-20 After Extra-Time

Mayo 3-15 Westmeath 1-14
Mayo 2-17 Kildare 0-14
Mayo 2-14 Fermanagh 1-12

Looking at these results, it's mind-boggling how close they got in 2016 and 2017.

It sure is! All the focus of this group has been to peak toward August!

From the Bunker

Quote from: dublin7 on June 15, 2019, 05:24:06 PM

Do you think we should organise a minutes applause for a specific time so people wherever they are can show their appreciation. I mean, it's not like Mayo have got much coverage in the media down the years

At least we made it worth your while going to home championship games when you played us. Ye were always far far better than us, but some how we always managed to stay close to ye. The boredom must be a killer for Dublin fans anymore?

moysider

The thing is it wouldn't be a surprise at all if Down win. Same as losing to Roscommon wasn't a surprise let alone a shock. These results are normal fare for us.

Blowitupref

Quote from: moysider on June 16, 2019, 12:04:54 AM
I think Down could spring a surprise in this one, Mayo are on a sharp decline, a lot of old and tired legs in that side. Away from home on a Saturday night it’s perfectly set up for an ambush and I think Down quietly fancy their chances.

The thing is it wouldn’t be a surprise at all if Down win. Same as losing to Roscommon wasn’t a surprise let alone a shock. These results are normal fare for us.

Roscommon played their league football this spring in Div 1 likewise Kildare in 2018. You have to go back to 2010 since Mayo lost a championship game to a team that didn't play in Div 1 and the current Mayo side losing to Div 3 Down would be a much bigger surprise than what happened in 2010 as they are far more seasoned and experienced outfit than John O'Mahony team was back then.

Is the ref going to finally blow his whistle?... No, he's going to blow his nose

larryin89

Quote from: dublin7 on June 15, 2019, 05:24:06 PM

Obviously I don't want that nor does anyone associated with mayo player nor supporter . We just want to go away quietly and try build again for the years ahead . I'm not trying to hide any disappointment, it's honestly heartbreaking and I'm no shrinking violet either but such is life . My point is I believe the team should be given the respect it deserves and not to be mocked continuously like it's all some big joke.
Walk-in down mchale rd , sun out, summers day , game day . That's all .