heffo

Quote from: cadence on July 27, 2012, 10:28:50 AM
Quote from: heffo on July 27, 2012, 08:29:01 AM
Quote from: IolarCoisCuain on July 26, 2012, 06:40:51 PM
Quote from: heffo on July 26, 2012, 01:56:03 PM
Quote from: IolarCoisCuain on July 26, 2012, 01:52:00 PM
Quote from: heffo on July 26, 2012, 08:22:00 AM
Quote from: moysider on July 26, 2012, 01:16:58 AM
Donegal the most impressive team about. Very close to winning it last year imo. A bit of good fortune in the semi probably would have got them there. They have the best team and spread around the team enough of the best individuals as well. And they re more disciplined as well, compared to the other contenders - Dublin, Cork and Kerry. But also crucially they wont be bullied by those 3 either - like say Mayo was in league final - and that is going to be very important.

Donegal haven't beaten a top side in the championship yet though - the other three have.

Donegal look impressive enroute to beating a bunch of also-rans, lets see how they do against the top sides and then we'll judge them.

By top sides, you mean Cork, Kerry and Dublin? Who are the top sides they've beaten? Cork beat Kerry, fair enough, but who are the top sides Kerry and Dublin have beaten? Can't be Tyrone, because Donegal beat them. Who's the top side Dublin beat? Meath? Do you think think Meath are better than Donegal? Donegal are as good as anyone, and better than most.

All three of Cork, Kerry & Dublin have won the last three AI's therefore have proven they can beat top sides and have done so over the last number of years.

Donegal while looking impressive, have beaten no-one of consequence.

I will therefore hold off judgement until they do, and certainly wouldn't class a team with no AI's as 'good as anyone'.

By that logic, you didn't rate Cork in 2010 or Dublin in 2011. Your methodology doesn't allow for first-time winners, even though first-time winners have happened in the past two years, and could happen this year too. It's up to yourself, but it seems very limiting to me.

I think you're picking me up wrong.

It's not that I don't rate Donegal or didn't rate any first time winner, but until a team shows they can beat a top team then looking unbeatable beating cannon fodder is meaningless imo

the way i see it, dublin still are the team to beat. they're the team i think mcguinness aspires for us to be as good as. awesome tactices, pace and power all round the park, and no little skill either.

but, having said that, you beat us by two points last year, and i'd love for us to get another crack at you this year to see if there's still two points in it. lot of football to be played if that's to happen though.

Did you not get a crack at us there in April when we beat you by 9!??

Donegal look a serious team this year, have built on last years defensive foundations and will give any team a real test - whether they've kicked onto the next level will become clear over the next few weeks.

cadence

Quote from: heffo on July 27, 2012, 10:34:44 AM
Quote from: cadence on July 27, 2012, 10:28:50 AM
Quote from: heffo on July 27, 2012, 08:29:01 AM
Quote from: IolarCoisCuain on July 26, 2012, 06:40:51 PM
Quote from: heffo on July 26, 2012, 01:56:03 PM
Quote from: IolarCoisCuain on July 26, 2012, 01:52:00 PM
Quote from: heffo on July 26, 2012, 08:22:00 AM
Quote from: moysider on July 26, 2012, 01:16:58 AM
Donegal the most impressive team about. Very close to winning it last year imo. A bit of good fortune in the semi probably would have got them there. They have the best team and spread around the team enough of the best individuals as well. And they re more disciplined as well, compared to the other contenders - Dublin, Cork and Kerry. But also crucially they wont be bullied by those 3 either - like say Mayo was in league final - and that is going to be very important.

Donegal haven't beaten a top side in the championship yet though - the other three have.

Donegal look impressive enroute to beating a bunch of also-rans, lets see how they do against the top sides and then we'll judge them.

By top sides, you mean Cork, Kerry and Dublin? Who are the top sides they've beaten? Cork beat Kerry, fair enough, but who are the top sides Kerry and Dublin have beaten? Can't be Tyrone, because Donegal beat them. Who's the top side Dublin beat? Meath? Do you think think Meath are better than Donegal? Donegal are as good as anyone, and better than most.

All three of Cork, Kerry & Dublin have won the last three AI's therefore have proven they can beat top sides and have done so over the last number of years.

Donegal while looking impressive, have beaten no-one of consequence.

I will therefore hold off judgement until they do, and certainly wouldn't class a team with no AI's as 'good as anyone'.

By that logic, you didn't rate Cork in 2010 or Dublin in 2011. Your methodology doesn't allow for first-time winners, even though first-time winners have happened in the past two years, and could happen this year too. It's up to yourself, but it seems very limiting to me.

I think you're picking me up wrong.

It's not that I don't rate Donegal or didn't rate any first time winner, but until a team shows they can beat a top team then looking unbeatable beating cannon fodder is meaningless imo

the way i see it, dublin still are the team to beat. they're the team i think mcguinness aspires for us to be as good as. awesome tactices, pace and power all round the park, and no little skill either.

but, having said that, you beat us by two points last year, and i'd love for us to get another crack at you this year to see if there's still two points in it. lot of football to be played if that's to happen though.

Did you not get a crack at us there in April when we beat you by 9!??

Donegal look a serious team this year, have built on last years defensive foundations and will give any team a real test - whether they've kicked onto the next level will become clear over the next few weeks.

:D i knew you'd say that!

we played a more open game that day. counter attacking, but left ourselves very open to dublin's breaks and were not as fluid and as good at breaking out and supporting as we are now i think. once murphy went off, it was game over. i wouldn't expect us to be like that again. how mcguinness lines us up is anybody's guess. will we revert back to being ultra defensive? maybe in the first half of games. who knows. that's a good thing though. we are much better at kicking it long now as well.

the question is, can our defence shut out the opposition more than their defence shuts out us? that's a really big question, donegal, dubs, kerry and cork, have all got tough defensives to break down. i think we have kicked onto the next level. we weren't doing what we are doing now last year. it's going to be interesting and a great summer of football... can't wait for the quarters draw. 

Mayo Mick

Quote from: Mayo Mick on March 31, 2012, 11:07:00 PM
After tonight we have to be on the short list of genuine contenders. When the attitude is right there are few teams that will beat us.

Hope some of you took my advice!!!
If You Don't Bring Home The Bacon, You'll Get Treated Like A Pig!!

Dinny Breen

Quote from: Dinny Breen on March 28, 2012, 12:19:10 PM
Quote from: Declan on March 28, 2012, 12:08:27 PM
As generous as ever Dinny!!

;)

On a serious note I don't think the posters outside of Leinster are fully aware of the talent coming through the Dublin ranks and how Dublin will only get stronger. We might now be talking about a Big 3 but that Big 3 will soon be a Big 1, Dublin have the resources, the players and the structures to dominate the Gaelic Football landscape for a long time. A lot of hard work over the last decade is going to bear a lot of fruit.

I  miss Don't Matter, can't say you all weren't warned. 6 years ago and long before any journalist took up the mantra of funding inequality and what its affects were really going to be.
#newbridgeornowhere

Jinxy

100% Dinny.
If you moved Dublin into the Ulster Championship for the next 5 years, and the likes of Tyrone, Monaghan, Donegal etc. realised they were playing for 2nd place AT BEST every year, maybe they'd understand why Leinster is the way it is.
If you were any use you'd be playing.

Wildweasel74

Mayo again if they get it together is the only team that could put it up to them; simply by matching their middle 8 in physical terms!