Whatever happened to...

Started by BennyCake, April 25, 2015, 05:32:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BennyCake

What became of Billy O'Shea? Never heard of him after that leg break in the AI in 97.

Dermot Washington, nippy forward on Roscommon minor team in 92. Remember seeing him in semi v Armagh.

Philip Clifford. He seemed to go off the county scene very young.

Jinxy

I remember Philip Clifford used to play with his knee heavily strapped.
Injury probably caught up with him, even though he was only young.
If you were any use you'd be playing.

Rudi

Dermot Washington played senior league year after minor, was too small of a build and never made the grade. His club team were inter/ junior standard did ok, but never shot the lights out. A seriously talented minor though. Huge weight was placed on his shoulders in the county after those minor performances, the next tony mc and all that.

imtommygunn

Raymond mulgrew? All star nominee. Hugely talented but not seen since.

muppet

MWWSI 2017

Shrewdness

When Roscommon beat Kerry after 2 games to win the 2006 All Ireland Minor Title, Kerry had a magnificent forward by the name of Paddy Curran. He looked a sure star of the future. What became of him?

AZOffaly

Injuries. Did his ACL at least once and was never the same. Played with South Kerry and won a county championship I think, but never really figured with Kerry again. Very nice young lad too.

Shrewdness

Thanks AZ. Pity to hear that his career was affected by injury. He kicked some great points that day in Croke Park in the drawn game.

Ciarrai_thuaidh

Quote from: BennyCake on April 25, 2015, 05:32:02 PM
What became of Billy O'Shea? Never heard of him after that leg break in the AI in 97.

Dermot Washington, nippy forward on Roscommon minor team in 92. Remember seeing him in semi v Armagh.

Philip Clifford. He seemed to go off the county scene very young.

Billy O'Shea played for Kerry again in 1999 but better forwards like his own club mate Mike Frank Russell, came on the scene and he never got a look in again.

Philip Clifford played for Cork up to around 2005 for definite, not sure if he played longer. Worked in the bar trade, still does I think. Had a lot of injuries. Almost had to retire after a serious motorbike accident when he was young, hence the constant knee bandage.

Paddy Curran recently had his third ACL injury unfortunately. Very sad that he never reached the heights his minor days promised. He was unreal in that 2006 drawn final and played through a broken jaw for the last quarter also.
"Better to die on your feet,than live on your knees"...

Rossfan

Jaw broken in a clash with Mark Mikey.
Poor Markeen hasn't exactly covered himself in glory since.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

ONeill

I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

Syferus

Quote from: Rossfan on April 26, 2015, 12:50:45 AM
Jaw broken in a clash with Mark Mikey.
Poor Markeen hasn't exactly covered himself in glory since.

Didn't he win an U21 B in the hurling too..! If only the footballers followed suit..

Wildweasel74

Thinking of Peter Sullivan myself , seen him in the 92 final, he was a very good player,  lesser players than him made the cut with meath, couldn't work that one out.

The player outside county Derry which stand out according to the Maghera lads was the lad from St Jarlaths Tuam, think he played on Galways 94 minor team, John Concannon? to me  he was by far the best player never to make the cut, He was better than Joyce and donnellan at the time.

Wildweasel74

Westmeath minor team 95 had some very good players who disappeared, and some of the the Laois minors of the following years never cut it either at senior with a serious crop of players. one Leinster title in that years that followed.

BennyHarp

Quote from: Wildweasel74 on April 26, 2015, 01:56:06 AM
Thinking of Peter Sullivan myself , seen him in the 92 final, he was a very good player,  lesser players than him made the cut with meath, couldn't work that one out.

The player outside county Derry which stand out according to the Maghera lads was the lad from St Jarlaths Tuam, think he played on Galways 94 minor team, John Concannon? to me  he was by far the best player never to make the cut, He was better than Joyce and donnellan at the time.

I remember playing against this fella in a friendly against St Jarlaths back in the day. He was something else then. Good interview with him here from a few years ago. http://www.independent.ie/sport/gaelic-games/gaelic-football/all-sorts-of-things-go-through-your-head-it-was-eating-me-up-26745798.html

There was quite a few of that vintage from Maghera who perhaps never really kicked on like I thought they might, Gerard Cassidy was a super player at McRory cup level and Adrian McGuckin would have been a proper talent but for injuries.
That was never a square ball!!