rosnarun

don't let the door hit your arse on the way out
If you make yourself understood, you're always speaking well. Moliere

mannix

the green man

Should be declared a national holiday

Orior

Ah the poor fella.

Anyhow, Irelands dismal form in Croke Park was all part of a grand plan to speed up the rebuild of Lansdowne Road. How's it going there boys?
Cover me in chocolate and feed me to the lesbians

thejuice

How is Lansdown Road going along anyway? Would be a shame if they had to play in Donnybrook next year  :P,
It won't be the next manager but the one after that Meath will become competitive again - MO'D 2016

AZOffaly

I wonder if his 'resignation' comes with a significant golden handshake? He gets to keep his dignity, such as it is, and the IRFU get to change their coach. If he resigned rather than was 'asked' to resign, he'll be free to tell all about what went on over the last while. Other coaches to leave that post have had payoffs in return for a vow of silence, a lá Steve Staunton with the soccer bucks.

Puckoon

Yesterday he firmly believed he was the man to take charge of irish rugby. What a difference a golden handshake day makes.

Hound

Quote from: AZOffaly on March 19, 2008, 11:28:13 PM
I wonder if his 'resignation' comes with a significant golden handshake?
Yes it does.

The announcement came late last night, after the compensation negotiations had concluded. Two amounts I've seen speculated are €350,000 and €750,000.

Goats Do Shave

Lets not forget - he was very successful.

Yes times are right to freshen things up, but thank you for those 4 wins in a row v England! They were great, especially as I was in England for 2 of them!  ;D

Who's the replacement Kidney? or an outsider?

lynchbhoy

Quote from: Goats Do Shave on March 20, 2008, 08:08:17 AM

Yes times are right to freshen things up, but thank you for those 4 wins in a row v England! They were great, especially as I was in England for 2 of them!  ;D

Who's the replacement Kidney? or an outsider?
D kidney, m williams and maybe as Dinny Breen pines for - Jake White (who could do a good job).
Mike Ruddock reluctantly ruled himself out on the radio the other morning (when asked hypothetically).

Barney

As of 13/2. Bit of work to be done yet!

Hound

Quote from: lynchbhoy on March 20, 2008, 08:12:57 AM
D kidney, m williams and maybe as Dinny Breen pines for - Jake White (who could do a good job).
Mike Ruddock reluctantly ruled himself out on the radio the other morning (when asked hypothetically).
I'd imagine Kidney is strong favourite. Though I believe there's some bad feeling between him and many of the senior Leinster lads.

Newstalk mentioned this morning that the London Irish coach is also a contender.

stevo-08

Quote from: Goats Do Shave on March 20, 2008, 08:08:17 AM

thats debatable given that we've had possibly our best squad ever. Also England have been in freefall since winning the World Cup 2003. And remember a not too spectacular welsh team have won 2 grand slams in this era. Granted we were unlucky to lose to a last minute french try last year but again I dont think it should have come down to that. We lost that game with our performance in the first half.

It's more a case of "missed opportunities" & "what might have been" if you ask me.

Dinny Breen

QuoteLets not forget - he was very successful

at winning games not trophies. In fairness, he has stepped down and done the honourable thing and deserves his pay-off, after all he had a 4-year contract in his back pocket. O'Sullivan will be remembered as the the coach that brought Ireland into the professional era but his need to control everythng was his downfall. He over-stayed by two years imho,. but good luck to him and I can see him doing a director of rugby role over in England.

Quote'd imagine Kidney is strong favourite. Though I believe there's some bad feeling between him and many of the senior Leinster lads.

Shouldn't matter one iota, professional sport and those senior players need a kick up the hole. Time for a new captain and let O'Driscoll get back to playing rugby.

QuoteD kidney, m williams and maybe as Dinny Breen pines for - Jake White (who could do a good job).

I don't pine for Jake White but I believe he would be a good appointment if he had say Kidney as his assistant to be groomed to take over in 3 years, I'd also have Williams aboard as defensive coach, Gaffney as backs coach, Galway as manager and I'd bring in a Martin Johnson/Neil Back as forwads coach.

QuoteNewstalk mentioned this morning that the London Irish coach is also a contender.

Brian Smith walked out on Ireland (mitigating circumstances) so he'll never be picked...
#newbridgeornowhere

Bacon

He had the best Irish team of a generation and never got the best out of them. Ireland should have had 2 Grand Slams. The world cup was a shambles and he should have walked then. It was clear he had lost the dressing room. He has done the honorable thing by resigning but remember after the match at Twickenham he stated he was staying because he "still had the hunger".

Is Kidney actually any good? I'm not sure that he is. I think we need a complete change with someone from the southern hemisphere.
Down Championships Prediction League Winner 2009