Lowest profile ever?

Started by T Fearon, April 16, 2017, 09:42:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Applesisapples

Quote from: Avondhu star on April 16, 2017, 10:42:13 PM
Theres no confusion in the minds of the vast majority who came out in their thousands to celebrate the centenary by taking the Rising back from the murder gang who besmirched true Republicanism for the last 40 years by their sectarian campaign.
No one pays much heed to the revisionists.
Hypocrite

BennyCake

Quote from: Syferus on April 18, 2017, 10:57:23 AM
Quote from: BennyCake on April 17, 2017, 08:04:43 PM
Quote from: Avondhu star on April 17, 2017, 04:30:48 PM
Quote from: BennyCake on April 17, 2017, 10:38:31 AM
Theres no confusion in the minds of the vast majority who came out in their thousands to celebrate the centenary by taking the Rising back from the murder gang who besmirched true Republicanism for the last 40 years by their sectarian campaign.

And 1916 was just a load of handbag swinging and hair pulling, was it?
I cant seem to remember Patrick Pearse taking a mother of ten and shooting her before burying her secretly. I fairly sure James Connolly didnt take a man from his family, strap explosives to his body and force him to drive to Dublin Castle.     G.S.

There was innocent people killed in 1916 and in the War of Independence too, not just the Troubles. People tend to look at 1916-22 through rose-tinted glasses. Connolly, Pearse etc are lauded as those who paved the way for Independence, ie. driving out the Brits from Ireland. Yet when the IRA tried to get rid of the Brits from the North, they're just terrorist/dirty/filthy scum, yet they were only trying to do the same thing

Anyone who thinks the War of Independence is seen through rose-tinted glasses in the south has very little idea about the south.

I didn't say that. The 1916 leaders, Collins etc are looked upon as (Rossfan said) "cool clean heroes", whereas those who did similar during the Troubles are terrorists. One only has to look at how Adams and McGuinness are/were treated by the Irish Government/RTE down through the years. But it's easy to shout from the other side of the fence, when it doesn't concern you anymore.

AZOffaly

The 1916 leaders wouldn't be seen as contributing intentionally to civilian deaths though. Collins' and the WoI would be a different hue alright, and would be more in line with some of what went on in the north in relation to informers etc.

I still think a big difference in peoples eyes is events like Warrington, Omagh and other attacks on the civilian population. I don't think that would have been a tactical or strategic aim of the men of 1916 or even of the War of Independence.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: AZOffaly on April 18, 2017, 01:14:50 PM
The 1916 leaders wouldn't be seen as contributing intentionally to civilian deaths though. Collins' and the WoI would be a different hue alright, and would be more in line with some of what went on in the north in relation to informers etc.

I still think a big difference in peoples eyes is events like Warrington, Omagh and other attacks on the civilian population. I don't think that would have been a tactical or strategic aim of the men of 1916 or even of the War of Independence.

Nope but had the IRA lost the wAr before the treaty was signed (Collins himself said they were literally out on their feet) would the war been taken to a new level and brought across to the English on their own soil?
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

AZOffaly

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on April 18, 2017, 04:52:37 PM

Nope but had the IRA lost the wAr before the treaty was signed (Collins himself said they were literally out on their feet) would the war been taken to a new level and brought across to the English on their own soil?

Who knows? I wouldn't rule it out, certainly.

Avondhu star

Quote from: AZOffaly on April 18, 2017, 04:54:09 PM

Michael Collins sent a squad to London to assasinate the British Cabinet. Cathal Brugha spent a number of days in the Visitors Gallery with two handguns in his pocket while several volunteers spent their days tracking British ministers around London
Lee Harvey Oswald , your country needs you

Avondhu star

Quote from: Applesisapples on April 18, 2017, 11:51:10 AM
One word. Kingsmill.
Hypocrite

Il Bomber Destro

Quote from: Avondhu star on April 18, 2017, 06:28:10 PM
One word. Kingsmill.
Hypocrite

One word, Dunmanway.

Avondhu star

Quote from: Il Bomber Destro on April 18, 2017, 06:39:50 PM
One word. Kingsmill.
Hypocrite

One word, Dunmanway.
Two words. Gob shite

seafoid

Quote from: Avondhu star on April 18, 2017, 07:15:17 PM
One word. Kingsmill.
Hypocrite

One word, Dunmanway.
Two words. Gob shite
You don't know the history
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

Avondhu star

Quote from: seafoid on April 18, 2017, 07:30:12 PM
One word. Kingsmill.
Hypocrite

One word, Dunmanway.
Two words. Gob shite
I know the history unlike a few here who have swallowed propaganda portrayed as history

seafoid

Quote from: Avondhu star on April 18, 2017, 08:43:44 PM
One word. Kingsmill.
Hypocrite

One word, Dunmanway.
Two words. Gob shite
I know the history unlike a few here who have swallowed propaganda portrayed as history
So why do you say 1916-21 was pure as the driven snow?
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

Avondhu star

Quote from: seafoid on April 18, 2017, 08:59:17 PM
Quote from: Avondhu star on April 18, 2017, 08:43:44 PM
One word. Kingsmill.
Hypocrite

One word, Dunmanway.
Two words. Gob shite
So why do you say 1916-21 was pure as the driven snow?
Show me where I said that

Applesisapples

One word. Kingsmill.
Hypocrite
And do you know what precipitated Kingsmill?

Farrandeelin

Quote from: AZOffaly on April 18, 2017, 04:54:09 PM

Neither would I. It wouldn't have been the first time either.
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.