American Sports Thread

Started by magickingdom, October 28, 2007, 06:02:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gabriel_Hurl

Michigan have been awful this season - can't see it changing today

Re: ND - they've a team full of freshmen and juniors

wait to you see them in 2 years time

thejuice

Anyone hoping the Skins do one on the Cowboys. I dont dislike the Cowboys I just want the Skins to win.

Indy just scrapped by the Chiefs with a FG in the last 3 seconds.
The Packers do it again.
The Phins threatened to upset their perfect season but the Eagles made sure
100yard interception by browns vs Ravens

4 QBs with over 300 passing yards on the losing side
It won't be the next manager but the one after that Meath will become competitive again - MO'D 2016

Balboa

I would say they were on the losing side because they were shasing the game, i take it none of them had a 100 yard rusher in the game?

Puckoon

Id have to say the Cowboys are in my top three of least favourite teams, added to the fact that I liked the redskins as a kid, I can only hope for one result here. The greenbay machine keeps on rollin' with the battle of the two oldest quarterbacks ever to play together in NFL history.

Gabriel, Michigan were awful yesterday, shocking way for the coach to go out.

Boston college came from behind well to beat clemson in a decent second half last night.

Oraisteach

What a good weekend of sports:

The Buckeyes beat Michigan

The Browns beat Baltimore

Crossmaglen survived Dromore

thejuice

Brady had 5 TD's last night, anyone know what his total for the season is now. Im guestimating about 37-38, reckon he could end up with about 50+. And the only player who could come close to that again is Brady himself, if the talent he has around him stays on for another season.

And if he did pull off more than 50+ TDs, and win a Superbowl, would that make him the best QB ever. Or would any QB as good or almost as good being surrounded by as much talent. Dan Marino made the Dolphins achieve more than they should have I feel. and still held the TD record for a long time. But 4 Superbowls is hard to argue with.
It won't be the next manager but the one after that Meath will become competitive again - MO'D 2016

AZOffaly

4 superbowls in the modern era would be very hard to argue with. I can't help feeling though that the likes of Randy Moss, Ben Watson, Wes Welker etc make a great quarterback look even better.

I'd still rank Joe Montana and possibly John Elway ahead of Brady at the moment, but not by much.

SammyG

I never thought anybody would be better than Montana but Brady is getting very close. If he can go 19-0, then the discussion is over, he will be the greatest QB ever. Also he's only just turned 30, so he has another few good years left. By the time he retire he could have set records that will never be equalled.

Balboa

Quote from: SammyG on November 19, 2007, 12:09:11 PM
I never thought anybody would be better than Montana but Brady is getting very close. If he can go 19-0, then the discussion is over, he will be the greatest QB ever. Also he's only just turned 30, so he has another few good years left. By the time he retire he could have set records that will never be equalled.

Best team perhaps, Brady does not play Defense or Special Teams.

deiseach

The astonishing thing (well, one of many) about Brady is that he was the 199th pick in the draft and only made it into the team because Drew Bledsoe was injured. As the Americans would say, go figure.

thejuice

Quote from: deiseach on November 19, 2007, 12:56:27 PM
The astonishing thing (well, one of many) about Brady is that he was the 199th pick in the draft and only made it into the team because Drew Bledsoe was injured. As the Americans would say, go figure.

Its all down to hard work. Supposedly does alot of extra hours training and examining plays and opposition. I know there are alot of people out there who dont like him, due to publicity(esp, the one where he slept with 3 super models, at the same time or on seperate occasions i dont know, lucky bastard) but everything he's got he's worked for and the reason he's that damn good is down to his work ethic.

If anyone watches America's Game on Saturday morning, there was a great piece on the Pats when they won thier first SB, Brady was still very much not rated nor were the Pats. Brady found his coaches QB notes, it had the run-down on him and Bledsoe and whoever else was on the roster but for Brady they had a long list saying, "He's too slow" "doesnt read the game quickly enough" and so he took it on himself to speed up his game.

deiseach

Another one for you fellas who understand gridiron (ye should probably charge me a consultancy fee): what was so improbable about Brady's moving the ball into field goal range at the end of his first Super Bowl win? I've read about it a lot but it still doesn't make sense to me . . .

stew

Brady is the second best quarterback of all time behind Favre. i am no packer fan but favre has destroyed all records and brady is on pace to eclipse even him.

Montana was a great player on a great team, to me he is fourth all time behind Elway and brady and Favre. Favre has not often had the surrounding cast in his time but he is a natural born winner and I have never seen his equal.

manning would be 5th at this stage, the game between the two big guns this year proved that Brady, although not at his best could still get the job done whereas manning has sputtered since and the team is struggling.

Favre has an average packeer team 9-1 at age 38, now that is amazing but Brady is the leagues best player by a country mile. ;D
Armagh, the one true love of a mans life.

stew

Quote from: deiseach on November 19, 2007, 02:07:05 PM
Another one for you fellas who understand gridiron (ye should probably charge me a consultancy fee): what was so improbable about Brady's moving the ball into field goal range at the end of his first Super Bowl win? I've read about it a lot but it still doesn't make sense to me . . .

Several factors went into this. they were playing a juggernaut in St Louis and were expected to get hammered, he was up against the clock and had only one time out left, he had to throw the ball wide so the receivers could step out of bounds to stop the clock and he marched upfield to give Vinateiri a chance to win it for them.

I am a pats fan and always have been, what was more amazing to me was the win in the AGFC championship game against the raiders, that will forever be the cornerstone thatdefines Brady's greatness.
Armagh, the one true love of a mans life.

Gabriel_Hurl

Quote from: deiseach on November 19, 2007, 02:07:05 PM

They had no time-outs left I believe - they moved down the field in 90 seconds