The ulster rugby trial

Started by caprea, February 01, 2018, 11:45:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GetOverTheBar

Quote from: AQMP on February 08, 2018, 01:00:55 PM
I've spoken to several fireside lawyers and a couple of actual lawyers.  The consensus is that it's 50:50 at the moment and the evidence of the other girl (who is slated to appear for the defence) will be crucial and how this evidence comes over will determine whether the defendants go in the witness box.

The testimony of that lady will be vital to the whole case, if she says it didn't look consensual or vice versa then it'll be very hard to prove what happened - i.e. reasonable doubt in legal terms. However everyone who was in that house bar the lady in question has yet to speak. So much more to come. I think Rory Harrison (who fella who left the girl home) will also be critical - the lady in question has gone on record to say he was civil to her, what he says about the events leading up to it all will have a massive bearing.

haranguerer

Quote from: Itchy on February 08, 2018, 01:14:02 PM
Quote from: haranguerer on February 08, 2018, 12:35:17 PM
As are all victims, and indeed innocent defendants.

They should really look at keeping these cases behind closed doors. Whatever the outcome, the likelihood is all their lives have been ruined

Not true. Not all victims are cross examined. If someone walked up behind you on the street and kicked the crap out of you its unlikely you would get interrogated to try and imply you were getting a consensual kicking. Rape Victims almost always are interrogated and it puts quite a lot of them off going to court in the first place.

That's true I definitely exaggerated there. But I guess the point was there are many cases that could be said for, its not exclusive to rape cases.

Avondhu star

Quote from: Itchy on February 08, 2018, 01:14:02 PM
Quote from: haranguerer on February 08, 2018, 12:35:17 PM
As are all victims, and indeed innocent defendants.

They should really look at keeping these cases behind closed doors. Whatever the outcome, the likelihood is all their lives have been ruined

Not true. Not all victims are cross examined. If someone walked up behind you on the street and kicked the crap out of you its unlikely you would get interrogated to try and imply you were getting a consensual kicking. Rape Victims almost always are interrogated and it puts quite a lot of them off going to court in the first place.
Are you saying that they shouldnt be cross examined and their allegation accepted as fact?
That would really suit the "All men are bastards" crew
Lee Harvey Oswald , your country needs you

johnneycool

Quote from: GetOverTheBar on February 08, 2018, 01:38:23 PM
I've spoken to several fireside lawyers and a couple of actual lawyers.  The consensus is that it's 50:50 at the moment and the evidence of the other girl (who is slated to appear for the defence) will be crucial and how this evidence comes over will determine whether the defendants go in the witness box.

The testimony of that lady will be vital to the whole case, if she says it didn't look consensual or vice versa then it'll be very hard to prove what happened - i.e. reasonable doubt in legal terms. However everyone who was in that house bar the lady in question has yet to speak. So much more to come. I think Rory Harrison (who fella who left the girl home) will also be critical - the lady in question has gone on record to say he was civil to her, what he says about the events leading up to it all will have a massive bearing.

He's already said she was in hysterics in the whatsapp group messaging, so if she is crying wolf she did it pretty quickly after the event.....
It will be interesting both his, the Taxi drivers and those downstairs when she did leave as to her demeanour when doing so.

tonto1888

Quote from: johnneycool on February 08, 2018, 01:48:06 PM

He's already said she was in hysterics in the whatsapp group messaging, so if she is crying wolf she did it pretty quickly after the event.....
It will be interesting both his, the Taxi drivers and those downstairs when she did leave as to her demeanour when doing so.

could she be that calculating?

I don't know what to think. Everytime I hear something I change my thinking so Im just gonna wait until the result comes out and hope that justice is done

GetOverTheBar

I'm assuming he'll back up his buddies on this, both the defence and prosecution will be very interested to his views on the behavior of everyone involved in the hours prior, that could be critical - the lady has already said she was drunk and can't remember everything about the night which isn't great for her case to be honest.

Hysterics at being video'd on a mobile or hysterics at a vile crime though, this is the question the case now hinges on. The girl who came into the room holds the key.

haranguerer

Being in hysterics doesn't mean you were raped ffs.

Another lad she says she didn't like tried to join in, she turned him down and he gave her abuse. That would put plenty of women into hysterics, especially when add in a sexual encounter she is beginning to regret. Means nothing in context of whether there was a rape or not.

Its clear these guys were pricks, but that doesn't mean they raped her.

RedHand88

Saw a Twitter poll online "Did Paddy Jackson rape yer 1?"

Extensive media coverage of trials really brings out the idiots.

Syferus

Those desperately searching for a way off the hook for the frat boys will be sorely disappointed when it turns out the girl who walked in didn't do a forensic analysis of the room before leaving.

haranguerer

Can you fathom any scenario given the course of events in which they might be innocent Syf?

Keyser soze

It is a real eye opener to see some of what I thought were sensible individuals on this board indulging in the wildest of speculation and promulgating theories based upon zero evidence and pronouncing guilt or innocence when in possession of very few facts. Sad. 

Syferus

Quote from: haranguerer on February 08, 2018, 02:00:58 PM
Can you fathom any scenario given the course of events in which they might be innocent Syf?

If the evidence pointed to innocence I would happily say so. It does not.

Frank_The_Tank

Quote from: Syferus on February 08, 2018, 01:59:09 PM
Those desperately searching for a way off the hook for the frat boys will be sorely disappointed when it turns out the girl who walked in didn't do a forensic analysis of the room before leaving.

Again pre-empting what she is going to say before she even takes the stand.  Did you carry out one yourself on the night in question?
Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience

Mayo4Sam

Quote from: Keyser soze on February 08, 2018, 02:06:43 PM
It is a real eye opener to see some of what I thought were sensible individuals on this board indulging in the wildest of speculation and promulgating theories based upon zero evidence and pronouncing guilt or innocence when in possession of very few facts. Sad.
Says more about you if you'd consider Sfy sensible
Excuse me for talking while you're trying to interrupt me

Frank_The_Tank

Quote from: Syferus on February 08, 2018, 02:09:03 PM
Quote from: haranguerer on February 08, 2018, 02:00:58 PM

If the evidence pointed to innocence I would happily say so. It does not.

Can you list out the cast iron guilty evidence you have read 2nd hand in a paper or some other media outlet so far?
Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience