Official Irish Football Association Thread (Northern Ireland)

Started by Mentalman, September 04, 2007, 11:39:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

muppet

Quote from: armaghniac on October 17, 2015, 07:05:36 PM
Quote from: muppet on October 17, 2015, 06:58:54 PM
Quote from: armaghniac on October 17, 2015, 06:55:19 PM
Quote from: Milltown Row2 on October 17, 2015, 06:06:36 PM
Most foreign nationals live in prod areas, why is that??

You know very well why that is. The population of Protestant areas has declined, while that of Catholic ones has increased. As the Catholics dare not move to the Protestant areas, the result is Protestant areas with empty property and low rants, which Nationalist districts are full to the brim. The misforuntate foreigners come here and go for rents they cannot afford, without fully appreciating the nature of the districts they are moving into.

To think there isn't racists on the nationalists side think again....

No doubt there are,every group of people has a bollix, there may even be some in Gaaboard. . But nationalism is not based on ethnic supremacist policies, the racism is an act of individuals not a collective value of the entire group.

Agreed!

Muppet agrees with me. An auspicious day, surely;  even if it is caused by a vernacular spelling.

I've been agreeing with you a lot recently, I just hate doing '+1'.

MWWSI 2017

T Fearon

There is a Protestant unionist underclass in the six counties as well as a Catholic nationalist underclass,who unfortunately suffered most during the troubles by manipulation to kill each other and live apart.

I have to confess in recent years I am coming round more and more to the idea of being Northern Irish as opposed to being British or Irish,neither of whose governments or peoples really want any of us in the North, and have continuously screwed both sides here in return for misplaced allegiance,and arguably don't even begin to understand us nor we them in truth.Nationalism in the North us little in common with the Southern variation and unionism in the North has little or nothing in common with culture in the UK.

bennydorano

TF's Damascene conversion gathers pace. Uncle Ian Paisley must be looking down with tears in his eyes. :)

I agree with you 100% on this occasion btw.

T Fearon

Amazing the change one can undergo when thought is applied.In the recent Westminster election I voted non tribally for the first time ever mainly because I knew the candidate personally and know of the commitment and non bigotry the candidate shows in political life.In future I will do the same and vote in terms of everyday issues and policies rather than some fictional constitutional dream that a) Is never going to happen and b) Would make no material difference to my life even if it did.

BennyCake

Quote from: T Fearon on October 17, 2015, 09:12:45 PM
There is a Protestant unionist underclass in the six counties as well as a Catholic nationalist underclass,who unfortunately suffered most during the troubles by manipulation to kill each other and live apart.

I have to confess in recent years I am coming round more and more to the idea of being Northern Irish as opposed to being British or Irish,neither of whose governments or peoples really want any of us in the North, and have continuously screwed both sides here in return for misplaced allegiance,and arguably don't even begin to understand us nor we them in truth.Nationalism in the North us little in common with the Southern variation and unionism in the North has little or nothing in common with culture in the UK.

No government wants any people, nor gives too fiddlers frig about anyone they rule. It doesn't just apply to us.

The original planters that settled here were just pawns in a political game. The term Unionist implies they are in favour of the Union. Protestants long to be in the UK, but Britain would abandon them in the morning if it was in their interests. The notion that Britain actually cares about them is laughable. What about those Protestants in the border counties that were left in the Free State after partition. The British government didn't give too fecks about them and their support of the Union, so why would they give two fecks about the current Protestants within the Union?

MW

Quote from: T Fearon on October 14, 2015, 08:43:04 PM
Is the bouncy not originally a Rangers fan song? Did not Celtic supporters substitute the word "Liquidation" for "Bouncy" when Rangers played their last ever Old Firm Derby at Celtic Park in the spring of 2012?

Well according to the Wikipedia page for The Bouncy (yeah, who knew?), it is:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Bouncy

This Celtic supporters' page scotches the myth of an origin in the Hamill murder, also raises the idea that it might actually have begun with Greenock Morton fans:

http://kerrydalestreet.co.uk/topic/535125/3/

Morton fans seem to agree:

http://www.greenockmorton.org/forum/index.php?showtopic=3051&page=1

MW

Quote from: T Fearon on October 15, 2015, 10:40:06 PM
Bouncy wouncy  bouncy wouncy doot doot doot doot da dum.

Don't think it refers to the tragic murder of Robert Hamill to be honest.Presumably those who call for the IFA to drop the fleg and anthem would be apoplectic if the GAA followed Jarlath Burns advice and did likewise.

Actually that's not the lyrics (or indeed tune) NI fans use, it's just "let's all do the bouncy (x2), na na na na, na na na na...".

By the way when i alluded to having had this discussion on here before, I didn't realise it was as long as 9 years ago...
http://gaadiscussionboard.yuku.com/topic/1282/Lets-All-Do-The-Bouncy-with-Logie?page=2

Bloody hell...

MW

Quote from: Fear ón Srath Bán on October 15, 2015, 11:34:49 PM
Quote from: michaelg on October 15, 2015, 09:07:42 PM
Quote from: Fear ón Srath Bán on October 15, 2015, 07:43:51 PM
Quote from: stew on October 14, 2015, 10:35:33 PM
Quote from: bennydorano on October 12, 2015, 11:41:41 PM
I'd say it would be a fairly safe bet that if you took a cross section of a well attended GAA match in NI a fair percentage would hold Sectarian views or maybe just be partial to the odd 'Chucky' song.

Correct.

You seem to ignore that which doesn't chime with your own assumptions and preconceptions (don't worry, it's a recognised human frailty condition, psychologically, termed 'confirmation bias'). Let me remind you, however, of a post a little further back that you may have glossed over, and which is based on that which the contributor has actually experienced, recently:

Quote from: Bazil Douglas on October 10, 2015, 10:08:32 PM
Quote from: imtommygunn on October 10, 2015, 05:06:42 PM
Does everyone singing that song associate it with that? I wouldn't have thought so?

Food for thought. My sister who works with disadvantaged and troublesome youth from east Belfast once asked a group of lads what was the significance of this song [bouncy song] being sung on the terraces, they explained it was a reference to dancing on Roberts Hamills head, when she questioned her husband (who is from Rathcoole) he explained that the song was about for years, but when sung at Ibrox or Windsor terraces it was a reference to R Hamill, and most protestants who attend these matches were aware of its relevance but sang along for the atmosphere ,just as most catholics were aware of the significance of singing the roll of honor.

Not pleasant reading, for any of us perhaps, but let's not be afraid to confront, from wherever it arises.
Give it up man.  The statement highlighed above is absolute shite.

So you don't believe personal testimony?

I wish too it weren't true, but suck it up, and it rots.

I'm calling "bullshit" on this supposed "personal testimony".

JPGJOHNNYG

Quote from: MW on October 17, 2015, 10:14:59 PM
Quote from: Fear ón Srath Bán on October 15, 2015, 11:34:49 PM
Quote from: michaelg on October 15, 2015, 09:07:42 PM
Quote from: Fear ón Srath Bán on October 15, 2015, 07:43:51 PM
Quote from: stew on October 14, 2015, 10:35:33 PM
Quote from: bennydorano on October 12, 2015, 11:41:41 PM
I'd say it would be a fairly safe bet that if you took a cross section of a well attended GAA match in NI a fair percentage would hold Sectarian views or maybe just be partial to the odd 'Chucky' song.

Correct.

You seem to ignore that which doesn't chime with your own assumptions and preconceptions (don't worry, it's a recognised human frailty condition, psychologically, termed 'confirmation bias'). Let me remind you, however, of a post a little further back that you may have glossed over, and which is based on that which the contributor has actually experienced, recently:

Quote from: Bazil Douglas on October 10, 2015, 10:08:32 PM
Quote from: imtommygunn on October 10, 2015, 05:06:42 PM
Does everyone singing that song associate it with that? I wouldn't have thought so?

Food for thought. My sister who works with disadvantaged and troublesome youth from east Belfast once asked a group of lads what was the significance of this song [bouncy song] being sung on the terraces, they explained it was a reference to dancing on Roberts Hamills head, when she questioned her husband (who is from Rathcoole) he explained that the song was about for years, but when sung at Ibrox or Windsor terraces it was a reference to R Hamill, and most protestants who attend these matches were aware of its relevance but sang along for the atmosphere ,just as most catholics were aware of the significance of singing the roll of honor.

Not pleasant reading, for any of us perhaps, but let's not be afraid to confront, from wherever it arises.
Give it up man.  The statement highlighed above is absolute shite.

So you don't believe personal testimony?

I wish too it weren't true, but suck it up, and it rots.

I'm calling "bullshit" on this supposed "personal testimony".

Maybe, maybe not, but who are you to say. Lets be honest Windsor park was a sectarian pit only 20 years ago and although its a much better atmosphere now and a more neutral environment it would be incredibly naive to think that all those die hards from not long ago have just passed away.
Also the whole origin argument is irrelevant after all those KTP flute bands are just massive beach boy fans dont you know, what matters is what the fans themselves believe when they are singing. I would say the overwhelming majority do it for the laugh but there probably are some who have other reasons.

JPGJOHNNYG

Quote from: T Fearon on October 17, 2015, 09:24:04 PM
Amazing the change one can undergo when thought is applied.In the recent Westminster election I voted non tribally for the first time ever mainly because I knew the candidate personally and know of the commitment and non bigotry the candidate shows in political life.In future I will do the same and vote in terms of everyday issues and policies rather than some fictional constitutional dream that a) Is never going to happen and b) Would make no material difference to my life even if it did.

Well the constitutional question can only be answered in a referendum so you may as well vote for the candidate and not the party in all other elections and looking at recent voting patterns those from a nationalist background seem to be doing that more and more as transfers from Green and Alliance parties quickly reveal. The next non-designated party to hit the assembly will be PBP next year who pretty much get all their votes from massive nationalist/republican areas. The only other non designated party in the Assembly are NI21 who were Unionist until the day before the european elections then changed then imploded.

Orior

Anyone else hear about Linfield fans causing havoc in Finland after the NI match? Apparently they wrecked an Irish bar in Helsinki
Cover me in chocolate and feed me to the lesbians

ONeill

I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

saffron sam2

I'm liking the new IFA kit. Good to see the nod to the original St Patrick's blue.
the breathing of the vanished lies in acres round my feet

stew

Next you will be attending OWC games an wearing the poppy whilst doing the bouncy ffs!

I am Irish, fack than northern Irish shite, a term bestowed upon you by your British overlords.
Armagh, the one true love of a mans life.

The Subbie

Good Man. Do you need to take your own bowl to get the soup or do they give you that as well??