All Ireland Football Final 2017 Mayo V Dublin

Started by never kickt a ball, August 27, 2017, 07:24:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rossfan

Any chance anyone might talk about the match?
Or us it a foregone conclusion and so not worth discussing.
Hoping for a Rhubarb win to keep some elements of competitiveness alive in the football world.
Also after 5 years of near misses......
However they'll need everything to go right for them for a start and even then the Dublin bench may prove too much for them.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

Cunny Funt

Quote from: Esmarelda on September 13, 2017, 01:10:47 PM
A quick search and click threw this up but regardless of what it says, the fat cats at Croke Park are an awful shower altogether.

http://www.independent.ie/irish-news/gaa-fans-make-injury-complaints-after-pitch-invasion-29854243.html
Supporters can still walk onto the Gaelic Grounds after games while Croke Park with no known claims you aren't allowed. Anyone else find that a bit strange?

I recall Christy Cooney saying total hogwash that pitch invasions had no place in modern society. One thing that should have no place in modern society in outdoor sports arena is a plastic wall/fence.

Beffs

I thought the thinking behind no pitch invasions at CP, wasn't the health and safety angle of people falling on the pitch and suing. It was the crowd control issues afterwards on Jones Rd. So many people (post pitch invastion) exit the stadium via the Hogan Stand. As it is such a narrow road, that is already packed with people, that is where the bulk of the danger lies. 

Mayo4Sam14

I feel like if Shakespeare were alive today hed write a tragic comedy about mayo football
You can forget about Sean Cavanagh as far as he's a man!

ballinaman

Quote from: Mayo4Sam14 on September 13, 2017, 07:55:22 PM
I feel like if Shakespeare were alive today hed write a tragic comedy about mayo football
You should create another user account and give it a go

Crete Boom

Quote from: Rossfan on September 13, 2017, 03:24:59 PM
Any chance anyone might talk about the match?
Or us it a foregone conclusion and so not worth discussing.
Hoping for a Rhubarb win to keep some elements of competitiveness alive in the football world.
Also after 5 years of near misses......
However they'll need everything to go right for them for a start and even then the Dublin bench may prove too much for them.

I'll have a stab at explaining the lack of talk about the game Ross. Let's say Mayo get all the match ups on the money and get the run of the decisions from McQulillan that would be the perfect storm for the underdog but the feeling I have and a lot of people I've been talking to is it will be like the hurling final, in that the Dubs will keep us at arms length for the majority of the game winning by 5 or 6. In a strange way I am really looking forward to this final because this Mayo team leaves everything on the pitch even though everything realistically isn't enough.
There is the slight chance the Dubs have a serious off day and we might take them but probably not! We will sow it into them and ask them questions so they will have to earn the historic three in a row.

From the Bunker

There is nothing really to talk about. The Bandwagon fans in Mayo are really excited. Probably because they don't know to much about the real job in hand. Most (unbelievably) are caught up with talk of homecomings. That's how far removed they are. The synopsis from the more knowledgeable fan is what Crete Boom says above. We will burst a gut. But Corporation Dublin will prevail and after the winter break prepare for 4 in a row. More of their successful under 21's will be assimilated into the first team after retaining the O'Byrne Cup with their third team.

It's a terrible place to be as a knowledgeable Mayo fan. A sort of (what feels like an) eternal Limbo! Good enough to be at the Top table. But still feeding from the scraps. You know this period of a decent football side is coming to an end and you know the heavily financed Dublin machine gets bigger and bigger!

macdanger2

If you were to pick a combined team, I'd go for:

Cluxton
Harrison Fitzsimons McMahon
Keegan Higgins Mccaffrey
Fenton Parsons
McLoughlin Connolly Mannion
Rock Andrews Andy

So even with my mayo bias (Higgins, McLoughlin & Parsons are all debatable), I still only have it 6 for us.

Syferus

imtommygunn

Higgins wouldn't be debatable at all. Mcloughlin wouldn't get near dublin team imo though. Parsons probably not either.

macdanger2

Quote from: Syferus on September 13, 2017, 09:56:13 PM
Surely Kilkenny before Mannion at HF?

I hate the role KK plays, slows down the play and rarely creates anything. It's clearly the role he's been asked to do but I think it's a waste of his undoubted talent.

macdanger2

Quote from: imtommygunn on September 13, 2017, 09:57:40 PM
Higgins wouldn't be debatable at all. Mcloughlin wouldn't get near dublin team imo though. Parsons probably not either.

It was more the fact that Higgins isn't a traditional CHB but I wedged him in there anyway. He's having a super year though, great outside bet for POTY @ 12/1

mayo.mick

mayo for sam-don't ask me what year! :-)
https://michaelmaye.com/mayo-gaa-photos/
@mayo_mick

imtommygunn

Quote from: macdanger2 on September 13, 2017, 10:00:49 PM
Quote from: imtommygunn on September 13, 2017, 09:57:40 PM

It was more the fact that Higgins isn't a traditional CHB but I wedged him in there anyway. He's having a super year though, great outside bet for POTY @ 12/1

He's a fantastic player. Seems to almost get better with age.

macdanger2

Either team to win by 1-4 points or a draw @5/6 looks like a great bet