Depression

Started by Eamonnca1, October 25, 2013, 09:11:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BrotherMore6592

Yeah it's important to take a vitamin D supplement as the dark evenings have rolled in, especially those of us in office jobs or don't get much daylight.

Very easy at this time of year to just come in from work and lay on the couch and eat all round you cos it's dark. I've been there before. Before you know it you're down a rabbit hole and into a bad routine.

Lads need to set good routines for the dark days! I'm not saying depression only exists in winter but it's more prevalent and SAD (seasonal affective disorder) is a real thing

Eire90

Reverse Seasonal Effective Disorder can be a thing too.

tbrick18

Quote from: tbrick18 on February 25, 2022, 03:07:06 PM
Quote from: small white mayoman on February 25, 2022, 11:03:43 AM
Quote from: Rudi on February 23, 2022, 07:21:25 PM
Good luck Brick, I feel your pain. I have huge problems with my 14 year old boy, who has threatened to kill himself since he was 9, massive anger issues. The wife & I have tried alot of stuff, nothing is working. It's a  long road ahead impossible to live in the moment or enjoy life, just waiting for the next meltdown. Counsellors are non existent, GP,s are utterly useless. Teachers in fairness do their best. That's what I've found. The mind is a complex place, but the problems appear to be exacerbated by how young people form relationships/ friendships these days ie social media. Its toxic.
Good luck

I know exactly how you feel Rudi, i could have written your post word for word ,  it comes to a stage where  you dread receiving a phone call or message. The mental health service down south is a joke , no help whatsoever .  I personally blame social media for a lot of it. All you hear is regarding mental help is talk to someone , but in reality there is no one to talk to , not unless you can wait 6 months.     

It's a scary situation to be in.
All I can say is that thankfully, so far the care for my son has been good. His school have also been very pro-active and helpful.

It's been about a year since issues with my lad came to a head and so I thought i'd post an update.

Thankfully, things have really turned a corner with him, especially over the last 4 months or so.
CAHMS has been absolutely fantastic for him. Recently they have been running a group session once a week for teenagers with issues like his and whilst he didn't want to go, his counsellor thought he'd benefit so we forced his hand. It has really worked for him and he'd say himself he enjoys it.
He has so much more confidence and over this school year he has put himself forward for school council and got onto it, volunteered as a stagehand on a school musical, got himself a job in a pizza shop (though the free food encouraged this) and has also got a seasonal job on one of these christmas santa expereinces. He's loving school now too, but I think that's more down to the fact he got to pick his GCSE subjects and is now not in the company of some of the people who were making his life a misery.
To top it all off, he went to his first teenage disco last friday (for those who know, Clubland). Nerves still got the better of him a bit, and he turned down all advances from the girls.

It has honestly been transformational.

For our family, we are in a much better place than we were in last year and whilst it has been very difficult at times, the work seems to be paying off.

Hopefully his story will provide some hope to any others on here going through similar problems. I get that every situation is different, but there can be light at the end of it all.

By all means, anyone with any issues or who wants to speak in private, send me a message and I'd be happy to share experiences or just be an ear to vent to.

imtommygunn

Milltown Row2

Its emotional reading stuff like that, I don't know how I'd cope in that situation, I tried to get my eldest daughter some help a few years ago for her anxiety issues, she refused to go, but thankfully she is in a better place with that side of things, I hope yourself and Rudi have better experiences with the kids as they get older..

I'm now dealing with the eejit in the house who has separation issues as the kids have left the house!! It doesn't stop  ;D
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Jeepers Creepers

Brilliant TBrick. Fair play to your young lad. Always good to hear a wee bit of uplifting news.

Eamonnca1

Quote from: tbrick18 on November 08, 2022, 11:08:08 AM
Good luck Brick, I feel your pain. I have huge problems with my 14 year old boy, who has threatened to kill himself since he was 9, massive anger issues. The wife & I have tried alot of stuff, nothing is working. It's a  long road ahead impossible to live in the moment or enjoy life, just waiting for the next meltdown. Counsellors are non existent, GP,s are utterly useless. Teachers in fairness do their best. That's what I've found. The mind is a complex place, but the problems appear to be exacerbated by how young people form relationships/ friendships these days ie social media. Its toxic.
Good luck

I know exactly how you feel Rudi, i could have written your post word for word ,  it comes to a stage where  you dread receiving a phone call or message. The mental health service down south is a joke , no help whatsoever .  I personally blame social media for a lot of it. All you hear is regarding mental help is talk to someone , but in reality there is no one to talk to , not unless you can wait 6 months.     

All I can say is that thankfully, so far the care for my son has been good. His school have also been very pro-active and helpful.

It's been about a year since issues with my lad came to a head and so I thought i'd post an update.

Thankfully, things have really turned a corner with him, especially over the last 4 months or so.
CAHMS has been absolutely fantastic for him. Recently they have been running a group session once a week for teenagers with issues like his and whilst he didn't want to go, his counsellor thought he'd benefit so we forced his hand. It has really worked for him and he'd say himself he enjoys it.
He has so much more confidence and over this school year he has put himself forward for school council and got onto it, volunteered as a stagehand on a school musical, got himself a job in a pizza shop (though the free food encouraged this) and has also got a seasonal job on one of these christmas santa expereinces. He's loving school now too, but I think that's more down to the fact he got to pick his GCSE subjects and is now not in the company of some of the people who were making his life a misery.
To top it all off, he went to his first teenage disco last friday (for those who know, Clubland). Nerves still got the better of him a bit, and he turned down all advances from the girls.

For our family, we are in a much better place than we were in last year and whilst it has been very difficult at times, the work seems to be paying off.

Hopefully his story will provide some hope to any others on here going through similar problems. I get that every situation is different, but there can be light at the end of it all.

By all means, anyone with any issues or who wants to speak in private, send me a message and I'd be happy to share experiences or just be an ear to vent to.

He was getting advances from the girls?!

Fair play to him! He must be doing something right!

quit yo jibbajabba

Probably used the old chat up line "do u know my da? Hes tbrick off of the internet" 😃

tbrick18

Quote from: Eamonnca1 on November 08, 2022, 06:55:57 PM
Quote from: tbrick18 on November 08, 2022, 11:08:08 AM
Good luck

He was getting advances from the girls?!

Fair play to him! He must be doing something right!

He's got that boyband look the girls all seem to go for these days, skinny jeans and floppy hair.  ::)
He still hasn't the confidence to take one on though lol.
He'll be time enough getting himself involved in that headache!

tbrick18

Quote from: quit yo jibbajabba on November 08, 2022, 07:11:48 PM
Probably used the old chat up line "do u know my da? Hes tbrick off of the internet" 😃

If I thought that would work, I'd maybe try it myself  ;D :P

Eamonnca1

Quote from: tbrick18 on November 09, 2022, 11:02:53 AM
He's got that boyband look the girls all seem to go for these days, skinny jeans and floppy hair.  ::)

Tell him I once approached 13 girls in one night in Clublands and was rebuffed just about every time. If a girl approached me I would have thought it was a scam!

tbrick18

Quote from: Eamonnca1 on November 09, 2022, 05:08:41 PM

Tell him I once approached 13 girls in one night in Clublands and was rebuffed just about every time. If a girl approached me I would have thought it was a scam!

That would have been my experience too! lol

Jell 0 Biafra

Quote from: Eamonnca1 on November 09, 2022, 05:08:41 PM

"just about"?

tbrick18

Quote from: Cunny Funt on November 26, 2022, 01:13:20 PM
So sad but well worth a read on the late Red Óg Murphy.

https://www.irishtimes.com/sport/gaelic-games/2022/11/26/the-life-and-death-of-red-og-murphy-we-had-no-reason-to-believe-anything-was-wrong/

That's a heartbreaking read.
All too common though.

In our area, there have been two suicides in recent weeks. One was an elderly man, totally out of the blue. The families are distraught.

The impact of something like this is un-imaginable and I can only hope nothing like it ever visits my family, but I must admit it's something I'm afraid of and I always have one eye open watching for signs of it.
Horrible way to live, but my family have been touched with mental health problems and it leaves you with that fear that it could be worse.