Jim McGuiness - 10 Years On

Started by GetOverTheBar, January 15, 2021, 01:31:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tiempo

Sent one of his own players out to injure an opponent then goes on about duty of care when his own get a bit of treatment, he fully believed his own hype there for a bit, criminal not to start Paddy McBrearty in the AIF v Kerry

J70

Quote from: tiempo on January 15, 2021, 01:52:44 PM
Sent one of his own players out to injure an opponent then goes on about duty of care when his own get a bit of treatment, he fully believed his own hype there for a bit, criminal not to start Paddy McBrearty in the AIF v Kerry

I presume this is about Leo McLoone hitting Joe McMahon in 2011?

If so, where's the evidence McLoone (at the time a young lad who was distraught after the game) was sent on to do that by McGuinness?

As for McBrearty, he was doing well off the bench, including in the Ulster final and the semi against the Dubs. Maybe he should have been starting, but young O'Connor was doing well too with his running. Anyway, Paddy wasn't why we lost that final. Paul Geaney reacting quicker to a deflected point attempt, Durkan slipping on a kick-out, each resulting in a goal, was the difference in a very tight, cagey match.

J70

Great article BTW.

Looking forward to the second part.

McGuinness and Devenney were some party pairing!

TheGreatest

IMO, his greatest gift was to Dublin, the 2014 defeat, it became ingrained in the Dublin psyche that it would never happen again for that crop of players and especially to Jim Gavin, the gung ho total football from the previous year was dispatched for a more rigid structure that laid the foundation of what history is today. 

imtommygunn

I wouldn't say it was his greatest gift but my view would be that was the best thing ever happened that Dublin team(probably moreso management team).

TheGreatest

Quote from: imtommygunn on January 15, 2021, 02:11:55 PM
I wouldn't say it was his greatest gift but my view would be that was the best thing ever happened that Dublin team(probably moreso management team).

Agree.

Also to state, biggest failure, or travesty, not winning it in 2014. Blew it or?

imtommygunn

I honestly thought he couldn't adapt his tactics when Kerry played what was a pretty simple game plan. (tbh it wasn't that far from what donegal tried to do to dublin in 2011). 2014 was definitely one that got away for donegal.

Taylor

Influential individual in the sports history  ;D

Why even ask that question. What a load of shite

tiempo

Quote from: J70 on January 15, 2021, 02:04:54 PM

If so, where's the evidence McLoone (at the time a young lad who was distraught after the game) was sent on to do that by McGuinness?

As for McBrearty, he was doing well off the bench, including in the Ulster final and the semi against the Dubs. Maybe he should have been starting, but young O'Connor was doing well too with his running. Anyway, Paddy wasn't why we lost that final. Paul Geaney reacting quicker to a deflected point attempt, Durkan slipping on a kick-out, each resulting in a goal, was the difference in a very tight, cagey match.

49mins...Leo McLoone comes on as a sub
51mins...McLoone comes in late on Joe McMahon and strikes him on back of head with closed fist
55mins...After lengthy delay McMahon leaves the pitch with concussion
61 mins..McLoone is replaced

Angelo

McBrearty made an immediate impact when he came on, it was a massive mistake not starting him over a complete novice like O'Connor who barely played at senior level again (admittedly after a torrid time with injuries).
GAA FUNDING CHEATS CHEAT US ALL

J70

Quote from: tiempo on January 15, 2021, 02:51:22 PM

49mins...Leo McLoone comes on as a sub
51mins...McLoone comes in late on Joe McMahon and strikes him on back of head with closed fist
55mins...After lengthy delay McMahon leaves the pitch with concussion
61 mins..McLoone is replaced

First, McLoone should have got the line, no question. What use would it have been to McGuinness to have Donegal down to 14 men for the last 20 minutes, and then Leo gone for the following games, possibly at that point including an Ulster Final?

And what does the quick substitution prove?

Leo wasn't a thug. He was arguably ahead of Michael Murphy the previous year as the most influential player on the U-21 that ended up losing that final against Dublin. He's been an excellent, if unsung, player for Donegal all through the decade just gone, a strong lad ideally suited to carrying the ball on the break and taking a score, including quite a few goals. He wasn't some hatchet man to be sent on by the manager when an opposition player needed "sorting out".

The lad was in tears after the game. I've always assumed he was upset at having knocked McMahon cold and, I'm sure, taking (deserved) abuse from the Tyrone players for it. That makes far more sense, that his head was gone and that's why he was taken off, than any conspiracy about being sent on to take out a player.

greatpoint

Quote from: Angelo on January 15, 2021, 02:52:37 PM

McBrearty made an immediate impact when he came on, it was a massive mistake not starting him over a complete novice like O'Connor who barely played at senior level again (admittedly after a torrid time with injuries).

He had scored a goal earlier in the Championship and was inches away from scoring another in the All-Ireland if I remember correctly. McBrearty should have started alright though.

An Watcher

If I remember correctly Joe McMahon was having a great game that day. Think he was marking Murphy. His loss was the losing of that game for tyrone. Everything Jimmy did seemed to come off in those days

Gmac

I mute the tv when I see his boring ass come on .