Donegal v Armagh Championship game

Started by MrC, April 18, 2007, 10:48:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

balladmaker

I also thought S. Kernan was the best of a poor half forward line.

I also thought that Joe's outburst against those Armagh fans who didn't travel left alot to be desired.  Sure if there had been another 20,000 turned up, they still wouldn't have stopped Hearty's f**k up!  Joe needs to direct his attention to the on field performance, as well as his substition decisions or lack of them, rather than making a dick of himself on the BBC.

Best team lost, but they missed enough in the first half that, if scored, would have made the Hearty blunder irrevelant. 

It was a square ball, but that is irrevelant, the keeper should have had it.

amallon

I don't think there will be much panic in the Armagh camp, they should have won but didn't against one of the strongest teams in Ulster.  Hearty won't make a mistake like that again, Marden won't miss a point like the one he missed again this season.  No one will want Armagh in the qualifers, I'd go as far to say it will be championship over time for whoever meets them.

Donegal have every chance against Tyrone who didn't scare too many with their showing against Fermanagh.
Disclaimer: I am responsible for MY comments only.  I don't own this site.

pintsofguinness

I can't believe people think that SK had any sort of good game.  Would you tell me what he done?  I remember him taking the point, badly misplacing a pass to oisin and it ending up going out at the corner, receiving the ball a few times and hand passing to the person closest to him.  And to those people are you seriously suggesting he's the best chf in the county?

I didn't think Toner was in the game at all and I couldn't understand how he lasted 70 minutes he's capable of a lot more though.

As for Joe criticising fans, he should take a look in the mirror.  It's a pity there's no one to tell him a few home truths.
Which one of you bitches wants to dance?

full back

Quote from: pintsofguinness on May 28, 2007, 11:30:07 AM
I can't believe people think that SK had any sort of good game.  Would you tell me what he done?  I remember him taking the point, badly misplacing a pass to oisin and it ending up going out at the corner, receiving the ball a few times and hand passing to the person closest to him.  And to those people are you seriously suggesting he's the best chf in the county?

I didn't think Toner was in the game at all and I couldn't understand how he lasted 70 minutes he's capable of a lot more though.

As for Joe criticising fans, he should take a look in the mirror.  It's a pity there's no one to tell him a few home truths.

If you read my post again pog, it says that SK was the best of the half forward line.
At the minute I think it is pretty clear that no one knows who is the best chf in the county, bar yourself of course ;)

pintsofguinness

QuoteIf you read my post again pog, it says that SK was the best of the half forward line.
At the minute I think it is pretty clear that no one knows who is the best chf in the county, bar yourself of course
:)
I still can't agree with you, look at the amount of ball martin o'rourke picked up (and I'm not a fan of his) compared to Sk.  Even Paddy McKeever was better.  Even Mal coward Mackin would have done better!!

T Fearon

Ironically one of our better performances in recent years, with few if any real failures. Oisin Mc Conville must surely be one of the best finishers (if not the best) Ulster has ever produced.On the bright side I think we have invested far too much effort in recent years winning what are now meaningless Ulster titles (2005 springs to mind) to the detriment of our performances in the latter stages of the All Ireland series, and yesterday's defeat may well be a blessing in disguise

Also what was big Joe on about? You couldn't have put a cat in the ground yesterday at the end of the Minor Game never mind any more fans. :o

bennydorano

After getting over the intial feelings of being totally gutted I am feeling very optimistic about Armagh's performance; strangely, I think it is a result that both teams will come on from.  I was very very disappointed with Donegal, they didn't (or maybe weren't allowed to) perform at all, before the game I genuinely did expect a comfortable Donegal victory but Amagh's performance was excellent.

Young Donaghy deserves all the credit in the world for a fantastic debut (and I didn't want him there), Toner was a bit peripheral but did oviously did enough as Cassidy was non-existant! As for Stephen Kernan, I thought a borderline performance, some of the balls he gave were good, got a nice score, but I lost count of the number of times he was disposessed.  I actually think the game was lost with the switching of Mal Mackin for O'Rourke, now I didn't think O'Rourke was overly good, but MAckin is just plain awful IMO, he contributed nothing bar running around with his chest puffed out looking a booking.  McGrane and McGeeney are still all their daddies, absolutely amazing and when they eventually do go it will be a long road back.  I amazed that McNulty is coming in for some stick, I thought he and every other defender were excellent, there wont be a better defensive perfomance this year.

I defintely think we'll still be there come the business end after yesterday's performance, Donegal with a significant monkey of their back can only improve and I'd expect them to there as well.  A kind draw in the first qualifier would still be nice.

The Ronan Clarke injury story is 100% true btw. Didn't notice him there yesterday, did anybody see him??

armaghdaisy

Stephen Kernan was total crap!!i knew wen he got a point that was him on for te game that's eactly what JK wanted...he was rubbish and evidence of how stupid this man can be is the fact that in the 72nd minute he decided to do a terrible tckle(his fisrt of the match ironically) and take 2 donegal men down giving them an excuse to lie down!!

Also Paul Hearty has himself to blame, no county goalie should drop the ball into the back of the net in the 69th minute, if you watch the tape back the ball literally goes straight through his hands, I believe amallon said Hearty wont make this mistake again!It should never hav happened full stop!!!

Also is Joe ever going to take off his Cross tinted glasses and realise that in the second half Oisin McConville couldn't bend for a ball, Joe never has and never will make changes and give players on the bench a chance!  Look how Donaghy and Toner settled in, they were as good as the usual players, Joe should catch himself on and let us see what players on  the bench can do, taking on a young forward half way through the second half, there wouldn't have been just a 3 point lead that could have been and was ended by a kick of the ball(and a fumle by a very stupid man!)

Armagh were clearly the better team and have just lost an Ulster because Donegal aren't going anywhere fast!!!!

corn02

Agree Benny, O Rourke could of been vital in the last ten to win a few frees or break ball, sure Kernan loves him.

Did not notice anything too dangerous about the crowding, usual packed match. Although up behind the far nets as you say did appear pretty full.

What exactly did Joe say, he is a fool of a man, hopefully this is his last year.

Not muc talk of the minor match, all week I said they would get tanked, gladfully admit I was wrong. I think Paul Kelly said not one of those players had tasted County Minor championship because the older ones were so strong last year whilst Donegal had a player who played in the McKenna Cup! Great perfromances from number 4 and number 10 especially. Francis Hanratty spent most of the first half worrying about his haiur and boots and trying to hit impossible passes. In the second half he started to become a link man winning and laying off to forwards running on and he looked excellent for it.

Smokin Joe

Quote from: bennydorano on May 28, 2007, 11:53:44 AM

The Ronan Clarke injury story is 100% true btw. Didn't notice him there yesterday, did anybody see him??

Clarkie was there alright with the team.  He didn't seem to be limping badly.

Smokin Joe

Quote from: corn02 on May 28, 2007, 12:04:12 PM
Great perfromances from number 4 and number 10 especially.

Agree Corn.  Those were 2 of the Tullysaran lads.  Good to see them doing well on the big stage after coming from such a small club.

gander

Seen Clarke at the match yesterday, wasn't limping in the slightest! definitley no leg cast on anyway, he even ran into the dug out at the start of the second half.

glens73

Armagh are now 20/1 to win Sam with Paddy Power & Ladbrokes - I'm seriously thinking of putting something on with those odds. I thought they were impressive enough yesterday, considering their shit league form and they can only get stronger especially in the forward line.

pintsofguinness

QuoteWhat exactly did Joe say, he is a fool of a man, hopefully this is his last year.
Something about 2000 armagh fans not turning up (by all accounts I don't know where they would have went) and he yapped about this a bit and said he hoped the fans that did turn up would get the good tickets the next day.

QuoteAgree Corn.  Those were 2 of the Tullysaran lads.  Good to see them doing well on the big stage after coming from such a small club.
I seen the captain kicking a hell of a point on the championship last night, didn't you say he was from Tullysaran Joe?

corn02

I think the Clarke rumours are greatly exaggerated.

Smoking Joe, alot of mid and North ones on the team so I knew very little, they were excellent. They was another one too? Was it that McClelland fellow with the ginger hair? Tullysaran must have a very good minor team. It is the first time in years I have seen an Armagh team deploy a running game from defence. No question of winning a ball and launching it, the defender on the ball always made a gallop to the half forward line. As dangerous as it can be it had great results yesterday.