The future of laois hurling

Started by Tobias, October 27, 2015, 08:08:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

burdizzo

Exactly.  A lot of our great underage prospects seem to peter out, rather than drive on.

clonadmad

Quote from: Don Draper on August 31, 2017, 10:57:19 PM
Quote from: clonadmad on August 31, 2017, 04:15:09 PM
Quote from: Don Draper on August 31, 2017, 03:52:07 PM
Quote from: Keyser Söze on August 31, 2017, 03:51:11 PM
Quote from: clonadmad on August 31, 2017, 02:38:59 PM
Quote from: Keyser Söze on August 31, 2017, 02:02:10 PM
The TF/SW are in memory of Waterford men, so it would probably be hard to get those. Similarly the Arrabawn was the Nenagh Co-op so again I can't imagine that will move.

No reason Laois couldn't find a weekend to run an U14 & u16. Or u13/15 next year.
Enough clubs around within a few minutes drive of Portlaoise to run both the same weekend and have both finals as a double header in OMP on the Sunday.

Highly unlikely you would get the same calibre of teams if you were to run a second u14/16 competition,the Forristal and Arrabawn are seen as the all ireland championships at this level,No harm in the CB breaking the habit of a lifetime and asking to host one of those competitions,ye never know what might happen.

Theres a gap in the market for an all ireland u15 competition as its currently a provincial competition.

You are not going to take over from these tournaments.
But there is no reason Laois couldn't start a tournament and build it up into the second most important weekend!
A one off hosting of either of the them isn't what I'd be aiming for.
Should we not spend our money better than hosting these tournaments?

go on then Don,enlighten us

what would an u15  championship over 1 day cost to run?.

Considering theres this crazy new business concept called Sponsorship knocking around,you might have heard of it.

It wouldn't do underage hurling in the county any harm,I'm sure if it was on,in OMP,Laois hurling people,mentors and juvenile players would head in to look at it and maybe take a good bit away from it also.

If we have local businesses wishing to invest in Laois hurling, it would be better to put it into the Development squads as opposed to spending it on hosting a tournaments when good ones already exist.

And shove your saracasm up your hoop.

What deficiencies exists then with regard to the current Laois development squad setup?

Don Draper

Quote from: clonadmad on September 01, 2017, 09:15:46 AM
The TF/SW are in memory of Waterford men, so it would probably be hard to get those. Similarly the Arrabawn was the Nenagh Co-op so again I can't imagine that will move.

No reason Laois couldn't find a weekend to run an U14 & u16. Or u13/15 next year.
Enough clubs around within a few minutes drive of Portlaoise to run both the same weekend and have both finals as a double header in OMP on the Sunday.

Highly unlikely you would get the same calibre of teams if you were to run a second u14/16 competition,the Forristal and Arrabawn are seen as the all ireland championships at this level,No harm in the CB breaking the habit of a lifetime and asking to host one of those competitions,ye never know what might happen.

Theres a gap in the market for an all ireland u15 competition as its currently a provincial competition.

But there is no reason Laois couldn't start a tournament and build it up into the second most important weekend!

Considering theres this crazy new business concept called Sponsorship knocking around,you might have heard of it.

It wouldn't do underage hurling in the county any harm,I'm sure if it was on,in OMP,Laois hurling people,mentors and juvenile players would head in to look at it and maybe take a good bit away from it also.

If we have local businesses wishing to invest in Laois hurling, it would be better to put it into the Development squads as opposed to spending it on hosting a tournaments when good ones already exist.

What deficiencies exists then with regard to the current Laois development squad setup?
You believe the Laois Development Squads are currently properly funded? They want for nothing?

clonadmad

Quote from: Don Draper on September 01, 2017, 04:14:39 PM

You believe the Laois Development Squads are currently properly funded? They want for nothing?

you obviously dont,so where are the deficiencies in the current development squads at u14,u15,u16,how would you address it and what would it cost?

Don Draper

Quote from: clonadmad on September 01, 2017, 07:47:33 PM
Quote from: Don Draper on September 01, 2017, 04:14:39 PM

You

you obviously dont,so where are the deficiencies in the current development squads at u14,u15,u16,how would you address it and what would it cost?
You're making a straw man here for yourself, very poor form. You're the one wishing to hit up sponsors to host a tournament we don't need nor does anyone else. I maintain these sponsors, of which we have few enough are either already contributing, or if not could have their money better put to use than for your vanity project. Cheddar and Zoom would vomit at such a suggestion. Cheddar paid for an entire underage panel to go away for a bonding weekend, not to mention what he did with the senior panels week away. But go on, build your straw man, it'll be a blast.

clonadmad

Don "deflect" Draper

You were asked a simple enough question and couldn't up with one original contribution of your own.

Everyone in Laois Hurling circles is well aware of the hefty financial contribution Seamus Plunkett made and makes towards the promotion of hurling in this county,as for making them vomit,I had a good chat with Pat in relation to this very topic in the past few days and as always anything to drive the game here would'nt be discounted.

Everyone here has you down as a mouthpiece with the odd smartarse comment,but little of substance to offer.

Keep proving us right

Don Draper

Replying to your own reply, I'd say your hands were twitching as the sweat dropped from your brow as you wrote that. Quite coincidental that you were speaking to Pat, what a helpful development that was for your internet argument. Another straw man built and knocked down.

It's great to hear all our squads are well funded and need for nothing, I was speaking to 3 coaches* involved with our underage squads this morning  who guffawed loudly at that.

*internet straw man 101.

Let me know how you get on with that tournament anyway, I'd say it'll be the silver bullet to all our problems.

redsetanta

Great to see Mountrath winning a hurling title. It might be an U12 b final but it has to start somewhere. Hopefully it continues.
The real glory is being knocked to your knees and then coming back. That's real glory. VinceLombardi

Junior Ex Laoistalk

Winners are not those who never fail, but those who never quit!

clonadmad

Good to see Clonaslee still keeping us entertained

Them pulling a fast one by playing Cian Conroy and he one of the standout performers at u14,comes back to bite them in the arse

http://www.laoistoday.ie/2017/10/03/clonaslee-st-manmans-claim-u-17-b-hurling-success-extra-time/

clonadmad

Next years Tony Forristal squad coming together

95 attended trials

60 selected,playing Leinster League games in Kilcormac and Carlow this weekend.

Training weekly in the COE.

breakdown by clubs and players

Abbeyleix 7
Ballinakill 6
B/K 1
Camross 5
Castletown/Slieve Bloom 4
C/B 4
Mountrath 1
Na Fianna 1
Park 4
Portlaoise 5
R/E 5
RPG 5
Rosenallis 4
The Harps 10

14 Clubs represented

redsetanta

Great to hear that and good spread of clubs alright.
The real glory is being knocked to your knees and then coming back. That's real glory. VinceLombardi

Don Draper

Surprising return from BK?
Astonishing from The Harps.

clonadmad

Only Clubs at u14 that dont have representatives on it are Clonaslee and Margey.

Results from the U13 development league might bear out why 10 lads from the harps are on it.

They have a strong bunch at that age and in young Dooley the best hurler in Laois at u13 at the minute

redsetanta

What would be great to see is Laois making some ground at U21 level. We've had decent enough minors over the past 4 or 5 years but  they have made no impression whatsoever at the higher grade. I understand it's not the be all but it's very important for step up to senior.

The younger grades like the U13's etc can be argued as being more important for the county but in saying that u6's right up are all important if we are going to have a more competitive senior county team in the future. I still think we need to look at the transition from minor to u21.