Ulster Club JFC/IFC 2019

Started by DownFanatic, September 30, 2019, 11:26:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

John Martin

Teams in division 2 in down can purposely lose a few meaningless end of season league games to be eligible to play intermediate championship the following year. I've also heard of 1 team in tyrone who discussed purposely losing a relegation playoff to intermediate in order to have a go for a ulster title.

clarshack

Are the Rock not taking the piss going up and down every couple of years? they seem hell bent on winning this holy grail of a Junior All-Ireland.
Probably should bring in some sort of timeframe based rule to stop this carry on for the provincial championships.

Pearse Blue

Quote from: clarshack on October 22, 2019, 09:29:54 AM
Are the Rock not taking the piss going up and down every couple of years? they seem hell bent on winning this holy grail of a Junior All-Ireland.
Probably should bring in some sort of timeframe based rule to stop this carry on for the provincial championships.
Don't know if they are intentionally going up and down, I think the last time they went up it was just after the All Ireland campaign and its hard to keep at a top level for two years. In the hurling there is a five year rule, IE win an ulster intermediate you have to play senior the next 5 years   

marty34

Quote from: Pearse Blue on October 22, 2019, 09:41:14 AM
Don't know if they are intentionally going up and down, I think the last time they went up it was just after the All Ireland campaign and its hard to keep at a top level for two years. In the hurling there is a five year rule, IE win an ulster intermediate you have to play senior the next 5 years

Is that rule in hurling not changed now to two years - the 5 year rule was far too long for clubs.

nrico2006

Quote from: marty34 on October 22, 2019, 10:31:12 AM
Quote from: Pearse Blue on October 22, 2019, 09:41:14 AM

Think it might be three years, two years would be better though.

Is that rule in hurling not changed now to two years - the 5 year rule was far too long for clubs.
'To the extreme I rock a mic like a vandal, light up a stage and wax a chump like a candle.'

square_ball

I know I've called this BS out before. Come on Clarshack you don't really believe that do you? They are not intentionally going down just to win a junior all ireland championship. They've been beat in a few relegation play offs over the years. How come if they were looking relegated why don't they just lose every game? They have lost various players over the years and have a relatively small pick as it is.

The Bearded One

Hurling clubs who win Ulster at Junior and Intermediate level are not allowed to enter the provincial championship at that same level for either 3 or 5 years, someone can confirm that?
It is what it is. Presumably.

marty34

Quote from: square_ball on October 22, 2019, 10:37:46 AM

I know I've called this BS out before. Come on Clarshack you don't really believe that do you? They are not intentionally going down just to win a junior all ireland championship. They've been beat in a few relegation play offs over the years. How come if they were looking relegated why don't they just lose every game? They have lost various players over the years and have a relatively small pick as it is.

Would Cookstown be like this also? - in the intermediate a few years ago, then up and down to the first division, then down to Div. 2 again etc. 

They should have no problem with numbers.

Pearse Blue

Quote from: The Bearded One on October 22, 2019, 10:42:15 AM
Hurling clubs who win Ulster at Junior and Intermediate level are not allowed to enter the provincial championship at that same level for either 3 or 5 years, someone can confirm that?
I thought it was five, possibly three but there definitely is some sort of rule. Middletown won Armagh this year and had to enter the senior championship as they have won it previously and Keady have been put into the intermediate

square_ball

Quote from: marty34 on October 22, 2019, 10:44:02 AM
Quote from: square_ball on October 22, 2019, 10:37:46 AM

Would Cookstown be like this also? - in the intermediate a few years ago, then up and down to the first division, then down to Div. 2 again etc. 

They should have no problem with numbers.

Again i would sat with 100% certainty that Cookstown didnt decide to get relegated one year so they could go back and win the intermediate all ireland the following year. Relegation happens. You can get a bad run of results that means you are chasing your tale and you end up going down.

Those Cookstown intermediate teams were backboned by excellent underage teams who were winning grade one titles at u16 and minor as well as a few very good older players. Their youth teams now have been pretty poor this past 10 years and have been playing at grade 2 and 3 level. Of course they have the numbers but they just don't have the quality of player coming through as demonstrated by being close to relegation this year.  I'm sure there's another debate there to see why that is. Unless people are suggesting they have decided at the start of the year that they want to give the junior all Ireland a rattle next year. That's certainly what posters are saying the Rock do.

Hedgehunter

What's everyone's opinions now after the weekends results?

yellowcard

Kilcoo should make the final now and I'd expect them to face Glenties. They will never get a better chance to win it since they are the most experienced team left in the competition but they have failed to get over the line in the past. Them and Glenties are 2 dogged sides who suit winter football so I would make them joint favourites at this stage.

Fear Bun Na Sceilpe

Quote from: Pearse Blue on October 22, 2019, 10:45:38 AM
Quote from: The Bearded One on October 22, 2019, 10:42:15 AM
I thought it was five, possibly three but there definitely is some sort of rule. Middletown won Armagh this year and had to enter the senior championship as they have won it previously and Keady have been put into the intermediate

It was 5 years until this year. Reduced to 3 now

DownFanatic

Ulster JFC

Preliminary Round - 13/10/19
St Patrick's, Lisburn (Antrim) 1-06 v Collegeland (Armagh) 0-13

Quarter Finals - 19/10/19 and 20/10/19

Buncrana (Donegal) 1-14 v Collegeland (Armagh) 0-09
Glack (Derry) 0-06 v Rock (Tyrone) 2-15
Blackhill (Monaghan) 1-16 v Maguiresbridge (Fermanagh) 0-09
Killinkere (Cavan) 1-15 v Bright (Down) 1-10

Semi Finals

Buncrana v Rock
Blackhill v Killinkere

Final

Buncrana v Blackhill

Ulster IFC

Preliminary Round - 19/10/19

Grange (Armagh) 1-05 v Galbally (Tyrone) 0-16

Quarter Finals - 2/11/19 and 3/11/19

Kinawley (Fermanagh) v Glenn (Down)
Magheracloone (Monaghan) v Foreglen (Derry)
Aldergrove (Antrim) v St Naul's (Donegal)
Laragh United (Cavan) v Galbally (Tyrone)

Semi Finals

Glenn v Magheracloone
St Naul's v Galbally

DownFanatic

Glenn's victory over Kinawley in the IFC shouldn't be underestimated. All season they haven't had Denis Murtagh, Shea Millar or Ronan Millar. All three away on their travels. All three are county seniors. They also didn't have Niall McParland for this game, former county senior captain, who is now based in Qatar. Another former county senior, Mattie Bagnall, didn't start the game.
Be interesting to see how they go against Magheracloone but Glenn have done amazingly well to get this far considering the personnel they are missing.