Man Utd Thread:

Started by full back, November 10, 2006, 08:13:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

magpie seanie

Quote from: Maroon Manc on April 16, 2018, 11:47:34 AM
Quote from: magpie seanie on April 16, 2018, 09:27:44 AM
Quote from: Maroon Manc on April 16, 2018, 09:20:37 AM
Poor performance, players didn't look interested from early on. I haven't seen the stats but a huge percentage of the goals we concede come from set pieces which is just bizare when you look at the size of the team. 3 of the 4 goals conceded against City this season were from set pieces.

Huge game next week although thoughts are firmly on next season already.

What's going to change?

Better players will come in.

Who though? Who is going to come in that will make the manager change his tactics?

Bar Ronaldo or Messi there's probably not much more that can help United in an attacking sense without an adjustment to the approach. The Sanchez signing has underlined how awful it is for attacking players to play in this team.

In midfield - the manager loves Matic who despite my early season delight has his limitations. A partner for him who is in the Michael Carrick mould of a good incisive passer and excellent at covering and reading a game is needed. Is Modric a possibility?

At the back the regular shout out is for full backs but to be honest, Valencia or Young rarely let the side down. I'm not sure who Mourinho would buy that would improve matters. Remember - he doesn't like his FB's getting forward down the line (like we'd be used to). I'd say he'd have no interest in a Seamus Coleman for example. Whoever comes in there will be at most a minimal upgrade. I've defended Smalling and Jones over the years and both have had periods in their careers where you think "at last he's proving he's up to it" followed by poor form, injury etc. They're still better than Lindelof to be honest so United could do with an upgrade to play with Bailly. I'm open to suggestions but I'm not seeing any obvious candidate. As you've mentioned (or maybe it was someone else) conceding goals from set pieces doesn't need new players to limit. It's coaching and hard work on the training ground. And attitude. And frankly the attitude of this group looks poor.

magpie seanie

Quote from: AZOffaly on April 16, 2018, 12:31:18 PM
As you say, playing style makes it hard to compare some lads, but I suspect Salah, Firmino, Mané, Robertson, Van Dijk and maybe TAA would be knocking around the Man United Team.

For Liverpool I'd love Rashford. Imagine him on a Klopp team!? Matic would be nice too.

They'd be strangled. Firmino wouldn't start because he's not a huge target man. The others would get half a game here and there like Rashford. Those FB's and Van Dijk might fit Jose's plans alright on recent form though I doubt they'd recover from poor games as well under Jose. Especially the young lads.

magpie seanie

And I forgot to add - there's a real risk of losing DeGea as well as Martial and Rashford this summer. Each would be a catastrophe but DeGea would mean you're 10-15 points down on a good replacement keeper.

Hound

Quote from: magpie seanie on April 16, 2018, 12:49:17 PM
As you say, playing style makes it hard to compare some lads, but I suspect Salah, Firmino, Mané, Robertson, Van Dijk and maybe TAA would be knocking around the Man United Team.

For Liverpool I'd love Rashford. Imagine him on a Klopp team!? Matic would be nice too.

They'd be strangled. Firmino wouldn't start because he's not a huge target man. The others would get half a game here and there like Rashford. Those FB's and Van Dijk might fit Jose's plans alright on recent form though I doubt they'd recover from poor games as well under Jose. Especially the young lads.

Is there any kind of good reason to Rashford not playing?

He was exceptional against Liverpool, but when I've checked United teamsheets in recent weeks he seems to be almost always on the bench.
Does he have a lazy streak where he won't put the work in?

magpie seanie

Quote from: Hound on April 16, 2018, 12:53:04 PM
Quote from: magpie seanie on April 16, 2018, 12:49:17 PM

Is there any kind of good reason to Rashford not playing?

He was exceptional against Liverpool, but when I've checked United teamsheets in recent weeks he seems to be almost always on the bench.
Does he have a lazy streak where he won't put the work in?

Nope. Works his tail off. The reason he's not playing is the manager is a twat. And it's no surprise. This was all predicted prior to him arriving by me and others.

BennyCake

Quote from: Armamike on April 16, 2018, 11:40:46 AM
Quote from: magpie seanie on April 16, 2018, 09:14:16 AM
Quote from: Captain Obvious on April 15, 2018, 05:32:03 PM
Last week Manchester United beat the best team in the league away and today getting beaten at home by the worst team in the league. That lack of consistency must be very frustrating for any Manchester United supporter.

Last week they were abject until forced to attack by being 0-2 down.

The problem is obvious and I've been saying it since before the appointment. Mourinho is a dinosaur. Clearly the players don't buy into or can't buy into his prehistoric tactics. City might have a marginally better squad (or might not) but Liverpool don't and they're likely to make the CL final and are 1 point behind United in the table. After all the money United have spent???

I'm sick of it.

As a Liverpool supporter there are very few Man u players i'd want in the Liverpool first team. De Gea, that's about it.

You can have him. But take that Smalling clown too

DuffleKing

Quote from: BennyCake on April 16, 2018, 01:28:23 PM
Last week Manchester United beat the best team in the league away and today getting beaten at home by the worst team in the league. That lack of consistency must be very frustrating for any Manchester United supporter.

The problem is obvious and I've been saying it since before the appointment. Mourinho is a dinosaur. Clearly the players don't buy into or can't buy into his prehistoric tactics. City might have a marginally better squad (or might not) but Liverpool don't and they're likely to make the CL final and are 1 point behind United in the table. After all the money United have spent???

I'm sick of it.

As a Liverpool supporter there are very few Man u players i'd want in the Liverpool first team. De Gea, that's about it.

You can have him. But take that Smalling clown too

And the biggest white elephant of them all - Martial

NAG1

Despite what he appears to be saying, JM is going to need at least one new full back and one centre back.

I think the squad is fine going forward if he can keep all the players happy.

snoopdog

I'm sick of it.

Don't think we care about your opinion. Go back to your Scouse thread.

TabClear

I was trying to come up with a combined  team and what is really telling for me is that if you picked a combined Liverpool/United team Matic is probably the only midfielder you would guarantee gets in there. Supporters of their respective teams could probably make cases for Can/Henderson/Ox/Pogba/Herrera etc but none of those are a shoo in.

For me the following would definitely feature in a combined Liverpool/Utd team

DeGea
VVD
Bailly
Matic
Robertson
Salah
Firmino

Firmino is probably controversial for Utd fans but on current form he is ahead of Lukaku or Sanchez in my mind. But you probably need to have watched entire Liverpool games rather than highlights to fully appreciate how well he has played this season.  I would actually rather have Rashford than Lukaku/Sanchez  from a personal perspective!

If I had done the team 3 weeks ago I might have had Valencia at RB but TAA has done enough in the last couple of weeks to at least raise a debate. The more worrying thing for both Liverpool and United fans is how many players would feature in a combined team with City? De Gea and Salah definitely. After than possibly VVD and Matic but you would be hard pushed to get many more in.

Geoff Tipps

Quote from: TabClear on April 16, 2018, 02:10:28 PM
I was trying to come up with a combined  team and what is really telling for me is that if you picked a combined Liverpool/United team Matic is probably the only midfielder you would guarantee gets in there. Supporters of their respective teams could probably make cases for Can/Henderson/Ox/Pogba/Herrera etc but none of those are a shoo in.

For me the following would definitely feature in a combined Liverpool/Utd team

DeGea
VVD
Bailly
Matic
Robertson
Salah
Firmino

Firmino is probably controversial for Utd fans but on current form he is ahead of Lukaku or Sanchez in my mind. But you probably need to have watched entire Liverpool games rather than highlights to fully appreciate how well he has played this season.  I would actually rather have Rashford than Lukaku/Sanchez  from a personal perspective!

If I had done the team 3 weeks ago I might have had Valencia at RB but TAA has done enough in the last couple of weeks to at least raise a debate. The more worrying thing for both Liverpool and United fans is how many players would feature in a combined team with City? De Gea and Salah definitely. After than possibly VVD and Matic but you would be hard pushed to get many more in.

Possibly VVD!! Seriously?? Which City CB's are better than VVD??

Cunny Funt

Quote from: magpie seanie on April 16, 2018, 12:46:07 PM
Quote from: Maroon Manc on April 16, 2018, 11:47:34 AM
Quote from: magpie seanie on April 16, 2018, 09:27:44 AM
Quote from: Maroon Manc on April 16, 2018, 09:20:37 AM
Poor performance, players didn't look interested from early on. I haven't seen the stats but a huge percentage of the goals we concede come from set pieces which is just bizare when you look at the size of the team. 3 of the 4 goals conceded against City this season were from set pieces.

Huge game next week although thoughts are firmly on next season already.

What's going to change?

Better players will come in.

Who though? Who is going to come in that will make the manager change his tactics?

Bar Ronaldo or Messi there's probably not much more that can help United in an attacking sense without an adjustment to the approach. The Sanchez signing has underlined how awful it is for attacking players to play in this team.

In midfield - the manager loves Matic who despite my early season delight has his limitations. A partner for him who is in the Michael Carrick mould of a good incisive passer and excellent at covering and reading a game is needed. Is Modric a possibility?

At the back the regular shout out is for full backs but to be honest, Valencia or Young rarely let the side down. I'm not sure who Mourinho would buy that would improve matters. Remember - he doesn't like his FB's getting forward down the line (like we'd be used to). I'd say he'd have no interest in a Seamus Coleman for example. Whoever comes in there will be at most a minimal upgrade. I've defended Smalling and Jones over the years and both have had periods in their careers where you think "at last he's proving he's up to it" followed by poor form, injury etc. They're still better than Lindelof to be honest so United could do with an upgrade to play with Bailly. I'm open to suggestions but I'm not seeing any obvious candidate. As you've mentioned (or maybe it was someone else) conceding goals from set pieces doesn't need new players to limit. It's coaching and hard work on the training ground. And attitude. And frankly the attitude of this group looks poor.
Did you watch him play for Arsenal this season before he signed? a player bought bang out of form. Will he improve after a rest this summer (no world cup) or will he be like Rooney was e.g past his best and while picking up the most wages at the club

NAG1

Alexis is a player that does look like he needs a rest.
To get the best out of him JM will need to look at a new formation or way of playing.

Maroon Manc

Are Liverpool really any nearer to winning the league than United? United are criticised by nearly every pundit yet if they win their game in hand they'll be 4 points clear of Liverpool. Their squad has very little depth and will likely loose Can this summer to make matters worse. If any of the front 3 got injured they'd be in big trouble. They probably need 4 or 5 quality players to win a title and not convinced they'll get them this summer. Win the CL and Klopp will get a free ride for a few years though and probably deservedly so.

Only time will tell but I do think there's a lot more to come from United. We've tended to have some very good halfs of football this season against the top teams in the league which is an improvement on last season. I think we've got huge issues at fullback, they've both got slower as the season has gone on; Replace them and we'll see a difference. We need a centre half and a centre mid too, ideally we need a right sided attacking player but don't see one coming in unless Martial is sold.

BennyCake

Quote from: snoopdog on April 16, 2018, 02:09:52 PM

I'm sick of it.

Don't think we care about your opinion. Go back to your Scouse thread.

He is right though (just not about De Gea). Most of Uniteds players just don't cut the mustard.