Spotlight

Started by full back, June 20, 2007, 10:37:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SammyG

Absolutely shite programme, I really hate these stupid re-enacted stories masquerading as documentary journalism. There were so many holes you could have used the programme as a sieve. The worst of which was the story about how they managed to be in a field in the middle of nowhere and managed to call an IRA 'gun man', from Dundalk and get him to get a gun and come and meet them. In the middle of nowhere in the middle of the night in the days before mobile phones, aye right that adds up.  ::)

p.s. some of the comments on this thread are depressing but unfortunately not unexpected.

stiffler

What was a UVF handkerchief doing on display in Nairacs memorial in London? What was he doing with a UVF handkerchief in the first place?
GAABoard Fantasy Cheltenham Competition- Most winners 2009

guy crouchback

i thought that as well sammy they must have been a long time hanging around the field waiting for yer man to arrive. just standing there with a half dead unknow man lying at their feet.
having said that i got the impression that they shot him with his own gun.

Donagh

What's depressing about the comments Sammy? I'd have thought you'd have been happy enough to see another dirty war terrorist meet his end or his it because he was one of yours?

SammyG

Quote from: Donagh on June 20, 2007, 05:44:02 PM
What's depressing about the comments Sammy? I'd have thought you'd have been happy enough to see another dirty war terrorist meet his end or his it because he was one of yours?

Depressing because it shows how little it takes for the mask to slip. It wouldn't matter if the victim was Mother Teresa or Hannibal Lecter, as long as he's one of 'themmuns' he got what he deserved.

Donagh

So you would find similar comments in reference to an IRA Volunteer equally depressing? Funny I didn't notice a similar reaction when you and OWC were discussing the "suicide" of Bobby Sands.

SammyG

Quote from: Donagh on June 20, 2007, 05:54:21 PM
So you would find similar comments in reference to an IRA Volunteer equally depressing? Funny I didn't notice a similar reaction when you and OWC were discussing the "suicide" of Bobby Sands.

If somebody had dragged Bobby Sands into a field and beat and tortured him half to death before shooting him and dumping the body, then no I wouldn't say he got what he deserved and I would want the people involved brought to justice. I'm not sure how him killing himself is comparable to the issue being discussed.

Donagh

The point is that there is a perception here that you only find these comments depressing because this 'terrorist' was one of yours. That perception may be wrong but understandable given that you have never displayed a similar reaction when the death of IRA people have been discussed.

SammyG

Quote from: Donagh on June 20, 2007, 06:04:35 PM
The point is that there is a perception here that you only find these comments depressing because this 'terrorist' was one of yours. That perception may be wrong but understandable given that you have never displayed a similar reaction when the death of IRA people have been discussed.

What deaths of IRA men have I discussed?

TommyGoodBoy

After reading this thread, I am no longer going to visit this forum, I just hope as a young Catholic man in Ireland, not everyone shares the voice of many on this thread and this forum, I hope I never meet any of you boys at a match, as I would walk the other way, a mans life was taken, by more than one man, in a field at night. I just cannot agree with most of the "support" on here and I have enjoyed reading about my team, but I think you are all letting the side down, as Ireland enters a new peace I only feel sorry for most of your own children and the mindset they must have. A fellow supporter and friend told me about this forum, so I looked it up and came on to have a look, he did also tell me that some people on here can be a bit bigoted and I really have to wonder where all this anger and hate is coming from, I have been going to local matches for 12 years with my dad and I never got involved with the political side of things, tried to stay out of it all. This board has some good people and I can see that, but 70% of the "support" I see on here are very nasty, bigoted people. I want, and do believe in an all Ireland for the people of this island, but the people who killed the army man, did nothing for this cause, apart from let their own down and make us all look like animals.  :'(

The real hero's of Ireland will make the peace we all deserve.

Remember Omagh.

Good luck to you all.

pintsofguinness

YOur first post...
QuoteSurfed on in from google when I was doing a search on beckham coming to the states.

And now...
QuoteA fellow supporter and friend told me about this forum, so I looked it up and came on to have a look, he did also tell me that some people on here can be a bit bigoted and I really have to wonder where all this anger and hate is coming from,

I think that anyone that reads your 10 posts (all in the non gaa section) knows not to take you too seriously.
Which one of you bitches wants to dance?

Donagh

Quote from: SammyG on June 20, 2007, 06:21:58 PM

Is the perception wrong?

SammyG

Quote from: Donagh on June 20, 2007, 06:53:09 PM

Is the perception wrong?

What perception?

Donagh

Quote from: SammyG on June 20, 2007, 06:59:39 PM

Is the perception wrong?

What perception?

The one referred to in the quoted post

SammyG

Quote from: Donagh on June 20, 2007, 07:03:53 PM
Quote from: SammyG on June 20, 2007, 06:59:39 PM

Is the perception wrong?

What perception?

The one referred to in the quoted post

I'm not sure what point you're making, I haven't made any comments on Nairiac (one way or the other) my only comment was that I was depressed at the bloodlust of some of the posters.