Man Utd Thread:

Started by full back, November 10, 2006, 08:13:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

NAG1

I dont get the vitriol that certain sections have in here for Rooney. Yes he negotiated a great contract for himself and probably rubbed people up the wrong way as he went about it. But the club are to blame there for pandering too him and paying him the contract he wanted.

It is easy to forget the service he has given to the club since he joined, very rarely injured, mostly available for selection. Fair enough he has dipped in form but to blame him for successive managers picking him through this spell is nonsensical.

He does seem to have lost his pace (such as it was) but that was inevitable with his body type etc So it is probably now widely accepted that he is not an automatic name on the team sheet that he has been since he joined, but that does not mean he doesnt still have a role in the squad or team at different times.

Canalman

Get the feeling the MU fans never deep down took to Rooney. Great player for them imo, but for me the absolute adulation the MU fans for example had for Cantona, Scholes, Schmeiche, Giggs, Ronaldo (while there)   etc never went Rooney's way.

imtommygunn

It wouldn't be the fact he's a scouser??

magpie seanie

He held the club to ransom on a couple of occasions, threatening to go to citeh at one stage. He was well paid for any service. Was an excellent player for a long time but it has been really tiresome to watch in the last few years. Rooney never had the personality the others listed there had, never the same connection with the fans in my opinion. I'm sure he's not too worried.

MM - you weren't as understanding when the previous manager didn't drop Rooney.

gallsman

I argued with numerous United fan friends of mine that they should take 30-40m for him when he asked for his transfer at the beiginning of the 2010/2011 season. He absolutely held them to ransom and they ended up bending over for him. One CL final that showed a bigger gap to Barca and the European elite than 2009 and two leagues is a small enough return on what they've given him over the six years since.

Boycey

Quote from: gallsman on September 26, 2016, 05:36:53 PM
I argued with numerous United fan friends of mine that they should take 30-40m for him when he asked for his transfer at the beiginning of the 2010/2011 season. He absolutely held them to ransom and they ended up bending over for him. One CL final that showed a bigger gap to Barca and the European elite than 2009 and two leagues is a small enough return on what they've given him over the six years since.

Nah not in 2010 was too good a player at that time and as well as that they couldn't have let him go to City. Definitely should have sold him in 2013 when Fergie set him up for selling but Moyes/Woodwood hadn't they guts at the time.

TabClear

Quote from: Canalman on September 26, 2016, 04:34:48 PM
Get the feeling the MU fans never deep down took to Rooney. Great player for them imo, but for me the absolute adulation the MU fans for example had for Cantona, Scholes, Schmeiche, Giggs, Ronaldo (while there)   etc never went Rooney's way.

Liverpool fans were the same with Owen even before he left for Madrid. Great record but never as highly regarded the same way fowler was.

magpie seanie

Quote from: gallsman on September 26, 2016, 05:36:53 PM

You're spot on there.

Maroon Manc

Quote from: magpie seanie on September 26, 2016, 04:49:38 PM
He held the club to ransom on a couple of occasions, threatening to go to citeh at one stage. He was well paid for any service. Was an excellent player for a long time but it has been really tiresome to watch in the last few years. Rooney never had the personality the others listed there had, never the same connection with the fans in my opinion. I'm sure he's not too worried.

MM - you weren't as understanding when the previous manager didn't drop Rooney.

LVG had 2 years with him, Mourinho has had a couple of months. I don't think Mourinho fully understood that Rooney isn't actually that popular with a large proportion of United's support.

magpie seanie

His popularity with supporters doesn't matter one iota. A top manager will drop him if needs be but everything with Jose is a game and mostly it's all about him.

Maroon Manc

Quote from: magpie seanie on September 26, 2016, 08:53:10 PM
His popularity with supporters doesn't matter one iota. A top manager will drop him if needs be but everything with Jose is a game and mostly it's all about him.

He wouldn't have won all those trophies if it was all about him.

gallsman

Mourinho has isolated and squared off against more influential and powerful footballers than Rooney.

mikehunt

Quote from: gallsman on September 26, 2016, 09:04:47 PM
Mourinho has isolated and squared off against more influential and powerful footballers than Rooney.
Utd should have appointed him when Slur Alex retired. Maureen is a busted flush now. Typical shite decision making by Woodward and his overlords.

DuffleKing

All informed united fans have been looking rid of Rooney for at least two years. It doesn't make you an evangelist to be in that cohort.

I don't like Morinho's style not how his teams play but to claim the United job is too big for him or that he can no longer manage to the same level is dense on an entirely new level.

magpie seanie

Wow - thanks for stopping by after the debate last night. She maybe edged it but I think you'll do better next time.