GAA and COVID-19: Is it worth it?

Started by SpeculativeEffort, August 21, 2020, 01:58:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GAA and Covid-19: Is it worth it?

No. Pack in the year and hopefully 2021 is better.
13 (39.4%)
Yes. Plough on. Get the games played.
20 (60.6%)

Total Members Voted: 33

The PRO

Quote from: BallyroanAbu on August 24, 2020, 09:29:08 AM
Quote from: The PRO on August 23, 2020, 07:51:39 PM
Quote from: town1980 on August 22, 2020, 12:21:59 AM
Can yee piss and moan somewhere else,ask any club player even my own club are raring to go supporters or no supporters at least it will give us something to talk about,,,so piss of the moaners
It's just people's opinions. Who are to tell anyone to piss off?
I'm delighted your club are raring to go but I know a young lad sitting at home tonight heartbroken because he can't tog out for his club in the senior championship this week because of Covid and the associated risks for his family.

Unfortunately there will always be people unable to play each year for many different reasons,  however we must continue on.  That does not make light of this situation, however waiting for a vaccine to resume "normality" could be a long wait.

No problem with that. Perfectly valid, well made point.
However, someone coming on here and telling people who express an equally valid opinion to piss off is just not on. This is a serious setback, not just to the GAA or sport, but to society in general.

G@@

The attitude in my parts is probably 80% don't care and are just going through the motions just to be seen as being compliant, the other 20% are hiding it out in their bunkers.

Personally speaking, the more these restrictions are heaped on the longer the pain is. Schools going back this week present a fantastic opportunity for rushing this virus through the population and thus getting out the other side. Like every issue in Ireland we've an uncanny knack of kicking the can down the road.

Now that we understand alot about this virus, it's empirical that we shield our vulnerable folk and let it run its course outside of this grouping. 
"I can't get over you - 'till you come out from under him" - Pat Shortt - Class!

RedHand88

Quote from: G@@ on August 31, 2020, 12:08:38 AM
The attitude in my parts is probably 80% don't care and are just going through the motions just to be seen as being compliant, the other 20% are hiding it out in their bunkers.

Personally speaking, the more these restrictions are heaped on the longer the pain is. Schools going back this week present a fantastic opportunity for rushing this virus through the population and thus getting out the other side. Like every issue in Ireland we've an uncanny knack of kicking the can down the road.

Now that we understand alot about this virus, it's empirical that we shield our vulnerable folk and let it run its course outside of this grouping.

Contradicting yourself. Let the virus rush through the population but also protest the vulnerable. How do you propose we do that? By the way, herd immunity takes years and years.

G@@

Quote from: RedHand88 on August 31, 2020, 09:16:53 AM
Contradicting yourself. Let the virus rush through the population but also protest the vulnerable. How do you propose we do that? By the way, herd immunity takes years and years.

We're all aware of the annual winter flu, right? Basically that's one of the family of coronaviruses that runs through the population typically every winter. It is seasonal because it takes a "season" (three months) to rush through the population. It too kills hundreds of elderly and vulnerable each year, we don't bat an eyelid about it.
These coronaviruses or winter flus spread rapidly through our winter because we are indoors and congregating closer together during the long winter nights when our immune systems are slightly lower. These common coronaviruses also mutate rapidly which is why every few years a new strain of one of these coronaviruses comes around. Some strains are worse than others - which is why you will hear medical professionals speak about a "bad" flu season.

Covid 19 is a new or "novel" member of Coronavirus. There is the D and G variant of it. Both affect the human body in quite a similar way to a bad flu. The newer strain of the two is in the european and american populations and is more virilant or easier spread than the older first discovered asian variant. Viruses by their nature mutate as they move through the population, and even though Covid 19 is a relatively stable virus (says Luke O'Neill about the mapping of the virus makeup) there are signs that a subtle mutation in recent times has lead to a less fatal virus (thankfully).

So, now that we know alot more about Covid-19 its time to ask those working with the elderly and vulnerable to take caution while the rest of the population "gets on with it". There are 8,000+ recovered healthcare workers who are now immune, and these workers should be strategically placed to work with vulnerable and elderly people - where feasible.

The only thing that will take years and years is a proper tested and trusted vaccine (which is basically artificial herd immunity). Otherwise watch the next four years of your life slip away to ridiculous measures that are not going to prevent much at all from this virus.
"I can't get over you - 'till you come out from under him" - Pat Shortt - Class!

Keyser Söze

Can you show some established/recognised literature that tells us these healthcare workers are now immune ? And can't (at the very least) be carriers of the virus?
The greatest trick the devil ever pulled.......

G@@

Quote from: Keyser Söze on September 01, 2020, 10:45:30 PM
Can you show some established/recognised literature that tells us these healthcare workers are now immune ? And can't (at the very least) be carriers of the virus?

https://www.thejournal.ie/immunity-hse-tony-holohan-healthcare-staff-covid-coronavirus-5110983-Jun2020/

Keyser Söze

Have you actually read that article? Never mind that it's 3 months old. If that's the type of information you are basing this opinion on I sincerely hope you aren't a position to convince others

G@@

Quote from: Keyser Söze on September 02, 2020, 01:02:43 AM
Have you actually read that article? Never mind that it's 3 months old. If that's the type of information you are basing this opinion on I sincerely hope you aren't a position to convince others

Ok, you win. Let's lock up the country until a vaccine is found.

I sincerely hope that you've still got your job to return to in four years time.

Let's park this conversation and see how it all plays out. The "experts" are *united* on this and know what is best for everyone.  ::)

Keyser Söze

Calm it down there like a good lad. I didn't say any of those things.
I find it both laughable and frightening that you can throw around remarks like you did, put forward that article as "proof" of your comments and then throw a big strop when questioned about it.
You remind me a little of Gemma O' D!

For the record, you claimed that;
" There are 8,000+ recovered healthcare workers who are now immune, and these workers should be strategically placed to work with vulnerable and elderly people - where feasible."

Not alone is the immunity totally debated still to this day, but you put forward a 3 month old article to argue that this immunity be the basis of care for the most vulnerable in society. You really should reed beyond the clickbait headings!

In case you haven't read the article, below are selected quotes

———————————————
"While the exact nature of immunity conferred on those who have recovered from the virus remains unclear, the HSE is telling staff that they can be "considered immune for 3 months from onset of symptoms".

" Health officials here have previously warned that levels of Covid-19 antibodies in the population are very low – between 1% and 5%.

This would mean that even if there is some immunity after recovering from Covid-19, very few people would have it. "

————————————————

Questioning throwaway remarks like the one you made does not equate to supporting any lock downs (never mind 4 year ones). It certainly doesn't mean I am not concerned about my job or the employment situation in general.
I happen to feel that GAA is a bit of a luxury at this time when we are trying to make sure other important things resume (you know things like schools etc!). The fewer unnecessary interactions, the greater the chance these things have of succeeding.
We can all disagree on what constitutes unnecessary interactions . That is fine.
But don't throw around dangerous remarks and then turn into a 7 year old girl when questioned about them.

burdizzo

Sporting activity is a big part of life in many schools and, I would say, is an important part of a child's development.

Keyser Söze

I agree with that Burdizzo. I also feel that schools can function without them, and that schools are a higher priority than competitive sport at this moment.
But I am of the opinion that inter school competitions are impossible at the moment, and are unlikely to happen before next Spring.
Reopening schools is going to be a very very delicate matter over the next number of weeks & months. It has huge implications for getting our economy moving again.
I have no problem with differing opinions on the matter!

burdizzo

If there can be matches between clubs, then surely there can be matches between schools, since virtually all schools' players will be club players, also?

Keyser Söze

I wouldn't have thought so. But I don't have kids of school going age, so maybe somebody else can enlighten us?

How will they get there? On a bus? What size bus will be needed?
Will they go directly home afterwards to have a shower & change or will they go back to class in their wet & sweaty gear?
If they are trying to keep groups in class/year pods in schools, how does it make sense to mix between these pods to go off & play a match against other schools?

burdizzo

I'm actually told the GAA has just said there'll be no schools' matches until after Christmas, at least.

merman

Quote from: burdizzo on September 02, 2020, 10:30:28 PM
I'm actually told the GAA has just said there'll be no schools' matches until after Christmas, at least.

Which likely means February/March at the earliest.

Sensible decision but I'd be hopeful that we might have some inter-school competition then.