Tipp v Mayo AI semi final (still doesnt sound right!!)

Started by tippabu, August 07, 2016, 10:48:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

imtommygunn

Quote from: Captain Obvious on August 16, 2016, 06:05:54 PM
Quote from: rosnarun on August 16, 2016, 03:17:52 PM
Quote from: seafoid on August 16, 2016, 02:32:44 PM
Quote from: Farrandeelin on August 16, 2016, 11:12:13 AM
Quote from: Rossfan on August 16, 2016, 10:55:09 AM
Does anyone think Tipp have a chance or might win?
As Tipp bet the Connacht Champions should all Connacht people not be supporting them as our reps in the AI Championship? :D

I think they might. Looking back on the Tyrone game, if they had their shooting boots on it would be a whole different game.
And most Connacht people will cheer Tipp on.
I am not sure. I think a lot of Galway people would like to see Mayo win the shaggin thing
only because you think well go away then.
but every one know you need at least 2 in a row to be considered a great team . Preferably 3

A good team can win the All Ireland while a great team can win two in a row All Irelands.

To make the championship a bit more interesting for the neutral viewers I was hoping to see a shock or two in the semi finals however the punters,bookies and experts can't see past a Dublin V Mayo final and after that expected final we should know for sure if Mayo are a good team or Dublin a great team.

It depends on the circumstances. Say Kerry win the AI this year how long would it take them to get back down to earth after it? Say Mayo won it how long would they take? How long since they won it or if they won it before would factor in back to backs. IF Mayo were to win it this year there is no way they'd do back to backs. They'd not be sober for months!

rosnarun

Quote from: Captain Obvious on August 16, 2016, 06:05:54 PM
Quote from: rosnarun on August 16, 2016, 03:17:52 PM
Quote from: seafoid on August 16, 2016, 02:32:44 PM
As Tipp bet the Connacht Champions should all Connacht people not be supporting them as our reps in the AI Championship? :D

I think they might. Looking back on the Tyrone game, if they had their shooting boots on it would be a whole different game.
I am not sure. I think a lot of Galway people would like to see Mayo win the shaggin thing
only because you think well go away then.
but every one know you need at least 2 in a row to be considered a great team . Preferably 3

A good team can win the All Ireland while a great team can win two in a row All Irelands.

To make the championship a bit more interesting for the neutral viewers I was hoping to see a shock or two in the semi finals however the punters,bookies and experts can't see past a Dublin V Mayo final and after that expected final we should know for sure if Mayo are a good team or Dublin a great team.
are you bemoaning the Lack of a surprise 5 days before the 1st game is even played?
If you make yourself understood, you're always speaking well. Moliere

Rossfan

Only 10 pages in TEN DAYS!!!; :o :o
Jaysus Rhus ye must be awful nervous and uptight about this game.
I'd expect ye to win by 4.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

Hound

I never doubted that Mayo would go a long way in this championship even after the Connacht defeat. Ignoring Ulster, the reality is that Dublin, Kerry and Mayo are miles ahead of the rest. Technically there's a small chance that Mayo could completely disregard Tipp and thus play in second gear like they did against Galway, but I think that's no more than a very very remote possibility.

This is a an All Ireland semi, Mayo will bring intensity. Probably the first game when both O'Connors will be fully fit and able for 70 minutes (although they may well even save that for September). Tipp have done fantastic to get here, but in my opinion, Mayo will win comfortably.

Cunny Funt

Quote from: Hound on August 17, 2016, 01:09:08 PM
I never doubted that Mayo would go a long way in this championship even after the Connacht defeat. Ignoring Ulster, the reality is that Dublin, Kerry and Mayo are miles ahead of the rest. Technically there's a small chance that Mayo could completely disregard Tipp and thus play in second gear like they did against Galway, but I think that's no more than a very very remote possibility.

This is a an All Ireland semi, Mayo will bring intensity. Probably the first game when both O'Connors will be fully fit and able for 70 minutes (although they may well even save that for September). Tipp have done fantastic to get here, but in my opinion, Mayo will win comfortably.

TBH the luck of the draw has greatly helped Mayo to recover and go far this summer.

Fermanagh,Kildare at home. Round 4 got Westmeath,avoided both Kerry and Dublin in the quarter final and now face Tipperary who they should beat comfortably.

Hound

Quote from: Cunny Funt on August 17, 2016, 03:17:19 PM

TBH the luck of the draw has greatly helped Mayo to recover and go far this summer.

Fermanagh,Kildare at home. Round 4 got Westmeath,avoided both Kerry and Dublin in the quarter final and now face Tipperary who they should beat comfortably.
And you'll be much bigger underdogs in the final than you would have been had you taken the straight route, even though neither Dubs nor Kerry have been on fire.

It's as good a chance as any to break the duck. Albeit yis will have to get the finger out and start playing better!

Being the first semi also reduces the chance of taking Tipp to lightly. If Dubs v Kerry was on first, it would be natural to start looking at that winner too early.

islamae

Farr !!
You must be the most negative and despondent supporter of the Mayo team  :( you always doubt their ability to progress to the next level!!
Is it  a fear to nail your colours to the mast in case it puts a jinx on them?????

Zulu

Wouldn't agree they got the luck of the draw. They'd have beaten pretty much anyone they could have net in most rounds but I'd say Fermanagh would have been the toughest draw they could have got in that round, Kildare one of the tougher ones and Tyrone were being talked about as Dublin's only real challengers. All told not a handy run to be fair.

The only two teams that could have beat Mayo were Kerry or Dublin but if they had met them already they could have won as well.

Farrandeelin mentions Mayo's missed opportunities against Tyrone and to me that is their only real weakness. They've missed scorable chances all year (more than is acceptable) and that is their biggest weakness. If they met Dublin in the final I feel they'll need a goal or two but if it's Kerry then they could win by just taking the scores they should take.

Great for Tipp to make the semi but they won't beat Mayo.

seafoid

The structure favours the top teams even if Mayo had a shock in June. They should have too much for Tipp who deserve 2 all stars .
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

Cunny Funt

Quote from: Zulu on August 17, 2016, 04:50:17 PM

Wouldn't agree they got the luck of the draw. They'd have beaten pretty much anyone they could have net in most rounds but I'd say Fermanagh would have been the toughest draw they could have got in that round, Kildare one of the tougher ones and Tyrone were being talked about as Dublin's only real challengers. All told not a handy run to be fair.

The only two teams that could have beat Mayo were Kerry or Dublin but if they had met them already they could have won as well.

Farrandeelin mentions Mayo's missed opportunities against Tyrone and to me that is their only real weakness. They've missed scorable chances all year (more than is acceptable) and that is their biggest weakness. If they met Dublin in the final I feel they'll need a goal or two but if it's Kerry then they could win by just taking the scores they should take.

You are entitled to your opinion but it's one I can't agree with. Mayo were their for the taking in round 2,3 of the qualifers and a tricky away draw would have meant a early championship exit.

Round 4 Mayo could have drew Donegal instead of Westmeath and Mayo were far from impressive against Westmeath which would suggest Donegal would have beaten Mayo also. Avoiding Kerry,Dublin until the AI final is without question luck of the draw.

As for missed chances against Tyrone, to be far Tyrone were more guilty of that than Mayo.

Blowitupref

The Mayo performances this summer against Galway,Fermanagh,Kildare,Westmeath wouldn't have got them even close to Kerry,Dublin. Has been plenty of talk about the Mayo quarter final performance and while it was their best display this year that performance wouldn't have been good enough to beat Dublin or Kerry either as both would not be as wasteful as Tyrone were.

Basically Mayo are expected to reach the All Ireland final but to win it they will have to suddenly find their 2012 to 2014 form on the day.
Is the ref going to finally blow his whistle?... No, he's going to blow his nose

Real Talk

Quote from: Blowitupref on August 17, 2016, 07:06:58 PM
The Mayo performances this summer against Galway,Fermanagh,Kildare,Westmeath wouldn't have got them even close to Kerry,Dublin. Has been plenty of talk about the Mayo quarter final performance and while it was their best display this year that performance wouldn't have been good enough to beat Dublin or Kerry either as both would not be as wasteful as Tyrone were.

Basically Mayo are expected to reach the All Ireland final but to win it they will have to suddenly find their 2012 to 2014 form on the day.

If that form wasn't good enough then it would hardly be good enough now.  Mayo would need to be beating Tipp by at least 12 to 15 points to demonstrate that they would be in with a chance to win this year's final.

mrhardyannual

Quote from: Real Talk on August 17, 2016, 08:46:26 PM
Quote from: Blowitupref on August 17, 2016, 07:06:58 PM

If that form wasn't good enough then it would hardly be good enough now.  Mayo would need to be beating Tipp by at least 12 to 15 points to demonstrate that they would be in with a chance to win this year's final.

This conversation is getting ridiculous. Mayo only need to beat Tipp by a point to reach the final. The score-line in the semi will have no bearing on a final. This is a team with a singular ambition who have shown all summer that they have the resilience to do what it takes to grind out wins even when not playing well. Given a game against either Kerry or Dublin I would expect to see a supreme effort. What goes before has no relevance except to harden determination. If I had a penny for each time someone said " If they dont win this year they are finished" I'd be a wealthy man. Yet they keep coming. Despite a dodgy ticker I'd settle for two more one point wins in this year's championship and then years of debate as to how lucky  and undeserving Mayo were of an All Ireland win

Zulu

Quote from: Cunny Funt on August 17, 2016, 06:46:20 PM
Quote from: Zulu on August 17, 2016, 04:50:17 PM

You are entitled to your opinion but it's one I can't agree with. Mayo were their for the taking in round 2,3 of the qualifers and a tricky away draw would have meant a early championship exit.

Round 4 Mayo could have drew Donegal instead of Westmeath and Mayo were far from impressive against Westmeath which would suggest Donegal would have beaten Mayo also. Avoiding Kerry,Dublin until the AI final is without question luck of the draw.

As for missed chances against Tyrone, to be far Tyrone were more guilty of that than Mayo.

Well it's all a matter of opinion of course but I certainly don't agree they've had it easy (compared to lots of other permutations). Westmeath weren't the toughest draw but Donegal's round 4 performance wasn't up to much either (or their QF one) so I'd be fairly certain Mayo would have accounted for them comfortably.

Mayo are like Kerry or Dublin now IMO, they'll do enough to get over the middle ranking teams but can up it for the real threats. We'll never know but bar meeting Dublin and possibly Kerry Mayo would have negotiated their way to this stage whoever they met.