Started by Tyrones own, March 20, 2009, 09:29:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

J70

Quote from: Gmac on January 23, 2019, 06:59:49 PM
Quote from: J70 on January 23, 2019, 04:06:43 PM
Quote from: Gmac on January 23, 2019, 03:55:10 PM
Quote from: whitey on January 23, 2019, 03:07:44 PM
Quote from: Oraisteach on January 23, 2019, 02:43:50 PM
The term "school clothes" is vague. We had a dress code, not a uniform, but if they were representing the school at an off-site event, they were expected to adhere to the school's dress code regulations. Of course, for off-site events of a casual nature, like a march, the rules were less strict, and so  they were,for example, allowed to wear jeans, which were not permitted at school. The central prohibition was against logos that the school deemed inappropriate. On a Right to Life march, the typical garb would be jeans and a school/ college hoodie. So, not surprisingly, I was stunned to see so many Covington kids sporting MAGA gear.

I'm curious....did they bring this gear from home or did they buy it on a lark once they arrived in DC?

If I were a betting person, I'd say the latter

Trump got 44% of the vote in my town and since the election I don't think I have seen one person wearing a MAGA hat.....never mind a gang of teenagers who aren't even of voting age
thats because chances are you would be verbally assaulted at the least or perhaps physically assaulted by some loon for wearing a hat.

Examples?

My sister-in-law was threatened by two yokels in a plains state a few years because she had an Obama sticker on her car.

There was an interview during the last election with some tow truck operator in the Carolinas who refused to tow the car of some woman who had broke down because she had Bernie stickers.

There's arseholes everywhere. Doesn't mean you're going to take your life into your hands by wearing a MAGA hat.

I live in NYC, and the most common expressions of political opinion you see on cars around here (and you don't see many of any persuasion) are anti-liberal or anti-Hillary stickers, and pretty virulent ones at that. Never heard of any of the aggressive, loudmouths sporting them getting hassle though.
trump supporters weee assualted in San Jose California by people carrying la raza banners no less who would be the supremacists here

Details?

Dolph1

Quote from: whitey on January 23, 2019, 07:33:49 PM
Quote from: Dolph1 on January 23, 2019, 07:13:07 PM
She's the Democrats gift that keeps on giving

"The world is going to end in 12 years if we don't address climate change" Ocasio-Cortez says

So as well as being a financial genius she is a scientist as well. and a waitress.

Certainly no end to her talents.

If she wasn't smokin hot no one would be listening to a word she s saying

We'll have to disagree there Whitey.  ;D
Trump 2020. Making America Greater Again

omochain

Actually her financial advice is economically very sound. Unlike the trickledown BS that you lads subscribe to.. She has data to back up what she is advocating.
And we don't need to address climate change??!!!!!

sid waddell

Quote from: omochain on January 24, 2019, 05:57:10 AM
Actually her financial advice is economically very sound. Unlike the trickledown BS that you lads subscribe to.. She has data to back up what she is advocating.
And we don't need to address climate change??!!!!!
For a Real-World Example of Ocasio-Cortez's Tax Proposal, Look to Sweden
By Jonas O Bergman  and Kati Pohjanpalo
January 9, 2019, 3:00 PM GMT Updated on January 10, 2019, 12:00 AM GMT

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2019-01-09/hysteria-around-a-70-tax-rate-gets-a-reality-check-in-sweden

QuoteCritics of high taxes claim the policy stifles economic growth by reducing the incentive for people to work. But Sweden's employment rate is 77.5 percent, beating the U.S.'s 71 percent. The Nordic country has also surpassed the U.S. in terms of economic growth this decade, expanding 2.7 percent a year, on average, compared with 2.2 percent for the U.S.

screenexile

How could a 70% tax rate on earnings over $10m per year be a disincentive to work??

J70

Quote from: screenexile on January 24, 2019, 10:56:17 AM
How could a 70% tax rate on earnings over $10m per year be a disincentive to work??

Clearly, no one is going to take that promotion to a $10m+/year job if they're only getting an extra 300K for each million over ten. ;D

whitey

I'm not opposed to the 70% tax rate but is that not just a token gesture?

How much revenue would be generated that could then be redistributed to those away the bottom?

I believe that income inequality should be addressed by pulling up the people at the bottom rather than pulling down those at the top

There are huge subsections of the population who are trapped in an unending cycle of poverty, crime, drugs and general dysfunction. Putting programs together to really help those people out of that cycle is what's needed.

J70

Quote from: whitey on January 24, 2019, 12:48:40 PM

How much revenue would be generated that could then be redistributed to those away the bottom?

I believe that income inequality should be addressed by pulling up the people at the bottom rather than pulling down those at the top

There are huge subsections of the population who are trapped in an unending cycle of poverty, crime, drugs and general dysfunction. Putting programs together to really help those people out of that cycle is what's needed.

Good question.

I've no idea of the numbers or how effective such an approach would be. But that's all something which would be part of the discussion.

But dismissing it outright as pie-in-the-sky communism is about as helpful as pretending that slashing taxes on the wealthy is the panacea.

screenexile

http://time.com/money/5495760/alexandria-ocasio-cortez-70-percent-tax-rate-rich/

About $72bn per year. . . depending on how many are able to weasel their way out of paying it!!

The article says it would be close to funding Sanders free college scheme which would certainly be one way of pulling some people up!

whitey

In theory that sounds great

What fields will all of these new college graduates enter that will allow them to lift themselves and families out of poverty?

You think college is expensive now, wait till it becomes free.

J70

Hardy

Quote from: J70 on January 24, 2019, 04:06:04 PM
Is it still free in Ireland?

The education is 100% free. However, the mandatory student contribution for student services and examinations is up to €3,000.

We are nothing if not an imaginative people.

Eamonnca1

Quote from: whitey on January 24, 2019, 03:36:28 PM
You think college is expensive now, wait till it becomes free.

Ah, the old cute-sounding-but-not-based-on-any-facts-whatsoever soundbite of the right. That's what you people also say about healthcare despite the US having the most expensive healthcare system in the developed world and with worse outcomes by just about every measure.

But yeah. Keep on parroting your Fox News talking points like a good little conservative android.

Eamonnca1

Quote from: whitey on January 23, 2019, 07:33:49 PM
Quote from: Dolph1 on January 23, 2019, 07:13:07 PM
She's the Democrats gift that keeps on giving

"The world is going to end in 12 years if we don't address climate change" Ocasio-Cortez says

So as well as being a financial genius she is a scientist as well. and a waitress.

Certainly no end to her talents.
If she wasn't smokin hot no one would be listening to a word she s saying

Would you two like to be alone?

Eamonnca1

Quote from: whitey on January 24, 2019, 12:48:40 PM

If only conservatives would stop blocking such programs at every turn. You people think that lifting people out of poverty is immoral.