26 County General Election 2020

Started by Snapchap, January 09, 2020, 06:52:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

What will be makeup of the next government?

FF/SD/Lab/Green
FG/SD/Lab/Green
FG/FF
FF/Green
FG/Independents
FG/Independents
FG/Green
FF/SF
FF/Green/Independents
FF Minority
FG Minority
FG/SF
FF/Lab/Green
FF/Lab
FF/Lab/Green/Independents

macdanger2

While I'd love to see Hogan getting the road for being such an arrogant twat, I saw Jim Callaghan quoted as saying Ireland would likely lose the post of Trade Commissioner if he does. It's a sickener having to look at him for the next few years but it would probably be in the best interests of the country to have him stay in the job

johnnycool

Quote from: sid waddell on August 24, 2020, 02:45:23 PM
SF/FF/FG supporters still giving the two fingers to frontline workers and everybody else who obeyed the guidelines

Unbelievable arrogance

You couldn't make it up

This really is an object lesson in what to expect should they ever get into government, excuses, excuses, excuses

Oh wait, we actually know that already from the north

And Trump style whinging and bleating from their child-like cultists when they're called out on it

Fixed that for you.

sid waddell

Quote from: macdanger2 on August 24, 2020, 03:17:36 PM
While I'd love to see Hogan getting the road for being such an arrogant twat, I saw Jim Callaghan quoted as saying Ireland would likely lose the post of Trade Commissioner if he does. It's a sickener having to look at him for the next few years but it would probably be in the best interests of the country to have him stay in the job
A larger problem is that if Hogan doesn't go it will be exploited by the far right nutcases to drive anti-EU sentiment in Ireland, and drive disillusionment with politics in general

He needs to go

It's not as if Ireland is short of options in terms of nominations to the commission, Coveney, Varadkar or Mairead McGuinness would all be well up to the job, all are more able politicians than Hogan

Fianna Fail's indiscretions over the last 30 years are all remembered - Haughey's "thanks big fella", Ray Burke's "line in the sand", Pee Flynn moaning about running three houses, McCreevy's "if I have it, I spend it", Liam Lawlor's piss taking, Bertie Ahern claiming he didn't have a bank account and asking why people "didn't commit suicide" if they weren't wearing the green jersey, the financial crash and the shambolic way they handled it

All those have added up to turn them into a toxic party and Cowen and Calleary have reinforced that within weeks of them taking power again

Politics in this country is at a point where full blown toxic populism could take hold, and if it does, it'll be because people like Hogan didn't go

There has to be accountability

macdanger2

Quote from: sid waddell on August 24, 2020, 03:26:41 PM
Quote from: macdanger2 on August 24, 2020, 03:17:36 PM
A larger problem is that if Hogan doesn't go it will be exploited by the far right nutcases to drive anti-EU sentiment in Ireland, and drive disillusionment with politics in general

He needs to go

It's not as if Ireland is short of options in terms of nominations to the commission, Coveney, Varadkar or Mairead McGuinness would all be well up to the job, all are more able politicians than Hogan

The quote from JOC was this:

QuoteMr O'Callaghan said we need to recognise this is an issue about what is in the national interest, rather than just punishing Mr Hogan for a stupid mistake.

He said Mr Hogan is the EU Trade Commissioner, and so if he resigns, the likelihood is Ireland loses that portfolio, and we will lose a huge advantage in terms of Brexit talks

So while there are certainly more able people than PH, the others would not get the Trade portfolio according to JOC. They'd presumably get a less influential portfolio.

Franko

Quote from: Franko on August 24, 2020, 01:29:49 PM
Quote from: sid waddell on August 24, 2020, 01:09:52 PM
Quote from: Franko on August 24, 2020, 12:35:16 PM
Quote from: Angelo on August 23, 2020, 01:35:35 PM
Can anyone explain why there was not widespread outrage at the funeral of the Garda in Mayo by the free state establishment when they got themselves in such a tizzy over Bobby Storey's funeral.

It would seem like the answer here is no.

PS just for clarity:
Bobby Storey's Funeral - WRONG - there should have been resignations
Garda Horkan's Funeral - WRONG - there should have been resignations
The Golf Bash - VERY WRONG - there should be more resignations

Would you agree with the above Sid (et al)?  If you disagree, please present your rationale, with particular emphasis on how this doesn't then make you a raging hypocrite with an agenda.
Horkan's funeral didn't break the rules, though, Storey's did, and deliberately so

It had 12 times more people inside the church than it was supposed to

You also didn't specify who you wanted to resign from the Horkan funeral, funny that

FF and FG have more integrity than SF and more respect for front line workers - it's mad, but that's the way it is

McDonald and O'Neill gave a two fingers to front line workers - absolutely laughing through their teeth at them

In terms of raging hypocrisy, SF are the masters, and your post was a classic example

Trump style deflection and whinging form their cultists here like you simply won't cut it

Face up to the fact McDonald and O'Neill should resign

;D Where to start here...

Posits that irrefutable facts are wrong
Presents opinions as facts
Presents no evidence to back up these 'facts'
Evades direct questions
Insults the person asking the questions

That's just about as 'Trumpian' as it gets.

We can now add;

Refuse to engage when called out on it.

The thing is, you can throw all the tantrums and insults you like here.  Repeating dogmatic phrases and learned lines won't change anyone's mind, it'll just make people less likely to take you seriously.  Ironically, given your politics, you're a bit like Gemma O'Doherty in that regard.

sid waddell

Quote from: Franko on August 24, 2020, 05:22:16 PM
Can anyone explain why there was not widespread outrage at the funeral of the Garda in Mayo by the free state establishment when they got themselves in such a tizzy over Bobby Storey's funeral.

PS just for clarity:

Would you agree with the above Sid (et al)?  If you disagree, please present your rationale, with particular emphasis on how this doesn't then make you a raging hypocrite with an agenda.
Horkan's funeral didn't break the rules, though, Storey's did, and deliberately so

You also didn't specify who you wanted to resign from the Horkan funeral, funny that

FF and FG have more integrity than SF and more respect for front line workers - it's mad, but that's the way it is

McDonald and O'Neill gave a two fingers to front line workers - absolutely laughing through their teeth at them

In terms of raging hypocrisy, SF are the masters, and your post was a classic example

Trump style deflection and whinging form their cultists here like you simply won't cut it

Evades direct questions

We can now add;

The thing is, you can throw all the tantrums and insults you like here.  Repeating dogmatic phrases and learned lines won't change anyone's mind, it'll just make people less likely to take you seriously.  Ironically, given your politics, you're a bit like Gemma O'Doherty in that regard.
Projection is a terrible thing

You are guilty of everything you list there

Listing your own faults and then baselessly accusing others of them in the absence of an argument is not debating

Being an angry Shinnerbot is not debating

Franko

Quote from: sid waddell on August 24, 2020, 06:07:38 PM
Quote from: Franko on August 24, 2020, 05:22:16 PM

PS just for clarity:

Evades direct questions

We can now add;

Projection is a terrible thing

You are guilty of everything you list there

Listing your own faults and then baselessly accusing others of them in the absence of an argument is not debating

Being an angry Shinnerbot is not debating

You've tried to use this type of response previously when called out on your nonsense.

It is as weak now as it was then.

People know a spoofer with an agenda when they see one.

sid waddell

It took you 15 hours to come up with that?

Sinn Fein broke the rules. 120 people attended a funeral at which there was supposed to be 10.

The Horkan funeral didn't break the rules.

If Sinn Fein are calling on Calleary, Buttimer, Hogan and Woulfe to resign, Mary Lou McDonald and Michelle O'Neill should resign too, by their own logic they are not fit to hold office because they broke the rules.

And there's nothing more to say.

Franko

Quote from: sid waddell on August 25, 2020, 10:05:39 AM

Sinn Fein broke the rules. 120 people attended a funeral at which there was supposed to be 10.

If Sinn Fein are calling on Calleary, Buttimer, Hogan and Woulfe to resign, Mary Lou McDonald and Michelle O'Neill should resign too, by their own logic they are not fit to hold office because they broke the rules.

;D ;D

Sorry to disappoint, didn't realise you had me on the clock.  Did you sit up all night?

Some of us have other things to be doing other than angrily bashing out comments on an online forum.

I see you are set on continuing on the same Trump-esqe trajectory.

No worries, I'll leave it at that.  I'll even let you get the last word if it lets you get some sleep.

sid waddell

Quote from: Franko on August 25, 2020, 10:15:19 AM
Quote from: sid waddell on August 25, 2020, 10:05:39 AM

;D ;D

Sorry to disappoint, didn't realise you had me on the clock.  Did you sit up all night?

Some of us have other things to be doing other than angrily bashing out comments on an online forum.

I see you are set on continuing on the same Trump-esqe trajectory.

No worries, I'll leave it at that.  I'll even let you get the last word if it lets you get some sleep.

Back with the projectile trolling, I see. Bye now.

gallsman

Von der Leyen demanding a report from Hogan detailing his movements and the circumstances in which they took place.

He's increasingly fooked.

Rossfan

Even if he somehow hangs on he's a dead man walking.
His day is done.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

macdanger2

Hogan surely gone after the govt statement

Hound

Quote from: macdanger2 on August 25, 2020, 10:19:52 PM
A government can't sack their commissioner, each commissioner is supposed to be independent of their own country and make decisions with a European hat rather than an Irish (or wherever) hat. So apparently the thinking is that allowing countries to fire their own commissioners could jeopardise that.

But the commission president can fire a commissioner. According to Dunphy's podcast, only one commissioner has ever been fired (a Maltese for corruption/bribery). So Big Phil would be in exalted company! 

macdanger2

Quote from: Hound on August 26, 2020, 07:59:04 AM
Quote from: macdanger2 on August 25, 2020, 10:19:52 PM
A government can't sack their commissioner, each commissioner is supposed to be independent of their own country and make decisions with a European hat rather than an Irish (or wherever) hat. So apparently the thinking is that allowing countries to fire their own commissioners could jeopardise that.

But the commission president can fire a commissioner. According to Dunphy's podcast, only one commissioner has ever been fired (a Maltese for corruption/bribery). So Big Phil would be in exalted company!

That statement has to put serious pressure the commission president on though. As I said earlier, I'd like him gone for his arrogance on the one hand but I'd like him kept to give us as much influence as possible during the Brexit trade negotiations.