Antrim Hurling

Started by milltown row, January 26, 2007, 11:21:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tormund

Good performance overall today, we pushed them well, won the 2nd half, a few missed chances to make it closer which is a pity, and gave it away at the back a few times and kilkennys shooting accuracy was very good, but overall a great performance considering it was kilkenny in nowlan park

Jonkunlon

Indeed. We'd a 15 minute spell in the first half where we gave away a lot of ball, went long too often and were caught out by their running. 2nd half we were very good. Ran the ball, 1st touch was better and passing more accurate. Would be great to take something from the Dublin game which now looks very possible.

seafoid

Impressive performance from Antrim

Priceless experience.
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

Tormund

When McNaughton is on form like that today he is such a top hurler,
Nugent did well coming off the bench aswell

NAG1

Quote from: groundlie on May 17, 2021, 12:24:23 AM
Nugent and Conor Johnson had a big impact off the bench. I'd expect both to start next Sunday. Great performance today.

I must have been watching a different game, both lads did OK when brought in but neither are starters on this team.

Overall good performance, just allowed KK to slip out to handy leads a couple of teams in the game which killed the momentum.

Encouraging stuff though for sure.

imtommygunn

there are wee mistakes handling wise or whatever that you just don't get away with at this level but playing at this level is exactly what we need to sharpen that up. Forwards lack a bit of ball winning and Nugent helps but also not sure he's a starter. I was impressed by our defense yesterday. I thought Campbell was as good as any of the KK players. Walsh for me is a big plus at full back.

James McNaughton is a hugely gifted hurler. For me if he fills out a bit he could be the next McManus but sometimes lacks physicality.

We are competing at a different level to what I have seen before. We still aren't going to win teh Liam McCarthy but seeing us do so well against these big teams is great. Clare getting beat is interesting too. We need to beat Laois and it would be a nice bonus beating Wexford or Dublin.

north_antrim_hound

Can't give a team like Kilkenny a easy first half. Some of the lads were a bit star struck and didn't get tore in. Had to spring Nugent as we couldn't make the ball stick on our puck outs. Would like to see the stats on puck outs won. We let Clare win puck outs but dispossessed them very quickly with intense tackles but that was missing yesterday. Most of the switches worked but some subs a bit baffling.
Gerard Walsh take a bow, backed up last week with another great performance he's the real deal.
There's a man with a mullet going mad with a mallet in Millets

seafoid

https://www.irishtimes.com/sport/gaelic-games/hurling/antrim-keep-kilkenny-honest-but-cats-class-wins-the-day-1.4566701
"There is belief there, absolutely," said Gleeson. "We just couldn't push on when we got back level. It took an awful effort to get back level. We expended everything you'd need to finish a game out just to claw our way back into it. Kilkenny are champion finishers, that's what they are."

"It wasn't nervousness or anything like that. We just didn't get to the pace of the game. And when you don't work hard, you won't get to the level of the game. From 8-to-15, we didn't get the work-rate we look for. That's it, simple as that. And then in the second half we did. We just have to be consistent in that against the big teams."

"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

Jonkunlon

Quote from: NAG1 on May 17, 2021, 08:50:15 AM
Nugent and Conor Johnson had a big impact off the bench. I'd expect both to start next Sunday. Great performance today.

I must have been watching a different game, both lads did OK when brought in but neither are starters on this team.

Overall good performance, just allowed KK to slip out to handy leads a couple of teams in the game which killed the momentum.

Encouraging stuff though for sure.

He is either on the wind or didn't watch the game.

Fear Bun Na Sceilpe

Nugent wouldnt last the full game,

Tormund

I think the front 6 from the last 2 games is probably our best to start on current form. Eoin O'Neill looks like the next one that could push for a starting place.
I would probably have Duffin starting ahead of McMullan in the back line.

Yea good second half and good learning experience. Would be great to beat Dublin, should be a close game. If not then the Laois game will be big

Jonkunlon

Quote from: Tormund on May 17, 2021, 03:05:13 PM
I think the front 6 from the last 2 games is probably our best to start on current form. Eoin O'Neill looks like the next one that could push for a starting place.
I would probably have Duffin starting ahead of McMullan in the back line.

Yea good second half and good learning experience. Would be great to beat Dublin, should be a close game. If not then the Laois game will be big

Twice we have given teams a head start. If we can stay neck and neck with Dublin until the last quarter of the game then who knows? I think a little bit of belief was a substantial percentage of the difference on Sunday. Years of not playing at this level impacts on you like this. Regardless, the county hurlers are filling us all with great pride. We couldn't ask any more than what they have done last season and this. Watching us being competitive at this level is beyond my hurling dreams. If we stay up I'm going to party for the rest of the year. Thank you to the hurlers and management team!!!

Tormund

Its true, Antrim being properly competitive in division 1 is absolutely brilliant, so good to see. Hopefully we'll get another win that should keep us up for next year and build on the experience

Gold

Quote from: Tormund on May 17, 2021, 07:29:07 PM
Its true, Antrim being properly competitive in division 1 is absolutely brilliant, so good to see. Hopefully we'll get another win that should keep us up for next year and build on the experience

It is class and was a total joy to watch at times.

Our conditioning has improved so we can hammer into these teams and not snatch at shots as we have the strength to be composed

I like that McManus went for goal with those 2 frees....rip into them
"Cheeky Charlie McKenna..."

saffman

Not sure about the Nugent/Johnston comment. Nugent don't a job when he came on but for me stays a sub. Johnston setup a point but other than that I didn't see much else.

Not sure what Damon done wrong against KK, to me the danger man was in the other corner (bergin) who rooney was marking and although difficult still think full back line at present is strongest its been.

Walsh at #3 has been a great rotation and offers more pace to cover the faster forwards in div 1.