Motions for Congress '09

Started by aontroim, April 07, 2009, 10:15:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

aontroim

Was having a look through the motions that have been proposed and came across this one - anyone know why this is being proposed by Errigal?

37. That Rule 125 (T.O. 2008) be amended to read as follows:
"The All-Ireland Senior Finals shall be played in Croke Park, Hurling on the last Sunday in August and Football on the first Sunday in September. In exceptional circumstances, the Central Council may make other arrangements."
Rules affected or possibly affected: Rules 122 and 123 (T.O. 2008)

Aireagal Chiaráin, Tír Eoghain

Rest of the motions are here: http://antrim.gaa.ie/news/details/?id=1590

Norf Tyrone

I think it's to free up more time after the All-Ireland finals to complete out Club championships etc.
Owen Roe O'Neills GAC, Leckpatrick, Tyrone

ArmaghGAAforum

I would have nothing against that but it would mean starting the championship earlier because of the chance of replays and a build up of fixtures

aontroim

The traditionalists will never let it go through!  I can see how it would certainly help in counties who progress in the All-Ireland series in either code, and the knock-on effect is the club championship drags on.

bingobus

See this motion:

21. Amend Rule 44, T.O. 2008 to read as follows;

44. Use Of Property

(A) All property, including Grounds, Clubhouses, Halls, Dressing Rooms and Handball Alleys owned or controlled by units of the Association shall only be used only for the purpose of or in connection with the playing of games controlled by the Association, and for such other purposes not in conflict with the playing of games controlled by the Association, and for such other purposes not in conflict with the aims and objects of the Association that may be sanctioned from time to time by the Central Council.

(B) Grounds controlled by Association Units shall not be used or permitted to be used for Horse Racing, Greyhound racing or for Field Games, other than those sanctioned by Central Council.

Note Central Council shall have the power to authorise the use of Croke Park for games other than those controlled by the Association.

Other Rules affected or possibly affected: 3, 4, 5, 46, 47, 77 (f) and 147 (g)

Am I reading too much into this or would it prevent clubs from hiring out their halls or astro turf pitches to say local soccer clubs or rugby clubs?
Doesn't affect our clubs but I would imagine that alot of clubs would depend on this income to pay for there recent developments.

Bud Wiser

Who in the name of jaysus ever would think of organising any major event for Sunday the 1st of August or for that matter any date in the first two weeks in August when traditionally everyone that can afford a holiday, that is everyone that can afford to go to Croke Park, will be on holidays.
" Laois ? You can't drink pints of Guinness and talk sh*te in a pub, and play football the next day"

muppet

Quote from: bingobus on April 07, 2009, 10:37:28 AM
See this motion:

21. Amend Rule 44, T.O. 2008 to read as follows;

44. Use Of Property

(A) All property, including Grounds, Clubhouses, Halls, Dressing Rooms and Handball Alleys owned or controlled by units of the Association shall only be used only for the purpose of or in connection with the playing of games controlled by the Association, and for such other purposes not in conflict with the playing of games controlled by the Association, and for such other purposes not in conflict with the aims and objects of the Association that may be sanctioned from time to time by the Central Council.

(B) Grounds controlled by Association Units shall not be used or permitted to be used for Horse Racing, Greyhound racing or for Field Games, other than those sanctioned by Central Council.

Note Central Council shall have the power to authorise the use of Croke Park for games other than those controlled by the Association.

Other Rules affected or possibly affected: 3, 4, 5, 46, 47, 77 (f) and 147 (g)

Am I reading too much into this or would it prevent clubs from hiring out their halls or astro turf pitches to say local soccer clubs or rugby clubs?
Doesn't affect our clubs but I would imagine that alot of clubs would depend on this income to pay for there recent developments.

I would read this to mean that lads playing indoor soccer, basketball, racketball and even a '25 drive' would have to be sanctioned by central council.

Incredibly stupid motion.
MWWSI 2017

stiffler

41.   Amend Rule 130: Senior, by adding the following Exception:
"Under 21 players shall not participate in the National football Leagues while the County remains involved in the Under 21 Provincial football Championship.

The Definition of Under 21 shall be as per Riail 134 Age Grades"

Rules Affected: Rules 19, 34, 60, 122 (h), 129, 134 and 141 T.O

Ard Chomhairle

42. Add to Rule 123 (a) Provincial Championships

"The Under 21 Football Provincial Championships shall be played in conjunction with the period of the National Football League"

I think this would be a good idea, if it meant double headers for crowds etc
GAABoard Fantasy Cheltenham Competition- Most winners 2009

magpie seanie

It seems that the new rules completing the conversion of gaelic football to a namby pamby sissy game are going to be voted through. Amazing  ::) that there was no clamour by the media etc for everyone to have their say on something as important as this. Apparently Sligo (among others) including Kildare, Meath and Down have voted to accept the new rules. Cork have too. God help us. Its going to be target practice from now on.

The GAA

Laughable. another notable absentee in this dabate are the GPA. Where are they? Surly this is an important issue for players

corn02

Quote from: The GAA on April 09, 2009, 01:03:29 PM

Laughable. another notable absentee in this dabate are the GPA. Where are they? Surly this is an important issue for players

I'll second that.

the green man

Is this to pre-empt a breakaway GPA league?

bingobus

Quote from: Fionntamhnach on April 09, 2009, 04:58:49 PM
Quote from: the green man on April 09, 2009, 01:54:10 PM

Is this to pre-empt a breakaway GPA league?
If it is, it's like trying to crack a nut with a sledgehammer. As muppet says, it's a stupid motion that would potentially hit the income of many clubs.

If the Nut was the GPA would the sledgehammer be enough  ;)  ;D