Helicopter accident instructor is named - Todays Irish News

Started by aontroim, April 04, 2009, 03:13:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

aontroim

Could some kind soul please post this full article when you get a chance - I knew the lad who was killed (RIP) and would like to see if there are any more details on it?

Drumanee 1

A CO Donegal man killed in a helicopter crash in Co Kildare has been named as Colm Clancy from Gweedore in the west of the county.Mr Clancy (34) died when the helicopter in which he was supervising a training flight crashed in the bog of Allen at Kilmurray.
His student flier,Patrick Sheridan (24) from Co Clare,also died in the accident on Wednesday evening.
Mr Clancy,from Stranacorcora,will be buried following 11am requiem mass at st Mary's church in Derrybeg on Monday.
While air accident investigators are still looking into the incident,it is understood the helicopter crashed after hitting power lines.
A spokesman for European helicopter academy said Mr Clancy had more than two year's experience as a flier.His student was training for a private pilot's licence.A son of Matt and Betty Clancy,Mr Clancy jnr was the second eldest in a family of four boys and one girl.
Donegal Fine Gael TD Dinny mcginley,a friend of the dead man's family,said the entire community in Gweedore was shocked by the tragedy.

very sad affair.

aontroim

Bud Wiser

Drumanee1, I am currently doing a job in the airport from where they took off.  Now, don't quote me on this until I find out on Monday but my understanding is that the instructor and trainee were doing a training routine where they were trying to take control of the chopper when the engine cuts out.  The wires they hit were not ESB but belonged to Bord Na Mona. 
" Laois ? You can't drink pints of Guinness and talk sh*te in a pub, and play football the next day"