Fr Manning Cup 2018

Started by Chrimtain, October 20, 2018, 06:55:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SCFC

This is the guts of next year's county minor football team.
For all we know, they may not be world beaters. But Jesus, Laoiseabu, let us have a bit of a chat about them at least without running the whole thing down. They are only kids aged 15 and 16.

Oblivious

I agree , they are only young lads starting out on there merry way and need support.

Its good to see that building confidence starts at an early age in the various forums
and the good news is that the lads can look forward to years of abuse and ridicule
and support from here on in. Perhaps the best way to advance is to tear down the
Laois Centre of excellence and put up large stautues of the previous succesful minor and
county teams. I am sure we could buy old cheap Stalin, Gadafi and Lenin ones
and paint them Blue and White .   

They don't have to be world beaters they just need to be able to beat similar teams
around them with a similar population and size. I was at the match and similar to the minors this year
the emphasis seems to be on pumping the ball up the forwards as quickly as possible
and cut out Midfield. Other counties seem to use the hand pass more regularly and
perhaps Laois are getting ahead of other counties by reducing this mode of transport.

Anyway best of luck to the team and management for Saturday in Longford and
if they loose we can try and get Donald Trump to build a ring of steel to prevent them from
re-entering the county   

GAA-SMART

What time and venue is the game

Don Draper

Quote from: Oblivious on November 06, 2018, 12:25:32 PM
I agree , they are only young lads starting out on there merry way and need support.

Its good to see that building confidence starts at an early age in the various forums
and the good news is that the lads can look forward to years of abuse and ridicule
and support from here on in. Perhaps the best way to advance is to tear down the
Laois Centre of excellence and put up large stautues of the previous succesful minor and
county teams. I am sure we could buy old cheap Stalin, Gadafi and Lenin ones
and paint them Blue and White .   

They don't have to be world beaters they just need to be able to beat similar teams
around them with a similar population and size. I was at the match and similar to the minors this year
the emphasis seems to be on pumping the ball up the forwards as quickly as possible
and cut out Midfield. Other counties seem to use the hand pass more regularly and
perhaps Laois are getting ahead of other counties by reducing this mode of transport.

Anyway best of luck to the team and management for Saturday in Longford and
if they loose we can try and get Donald Trump to build a ring of steel to prevent them from
re-entering the county   

I like the cut of your jib.

Laoiseabu

Quote from: Chrimtain on November 06, 2018, 08:21:32 AM
Laoisabu is determined to undermine these lads at all costs.
It's an open forum here. I'll tell the truth and only the truth . All opinions are my own .

Don Draper

Quote from: Laoiseabu on November 06, 2018, 01:17:47 PM
Quote from: Chrimtain on November 06, 2018, 08:21:32 AM
Laoisabu is determined to undermine these lads at all costs.
It's an open forum here. I'll tell the truth and only the truth . All opinions are my own .
If all opinions are your own, you'd stand behind them.

Laoiseabu

I'm standing behind them but I just want to say they aren't world beaters in any regard . But I will support them as this is our minor team next year and I'm being realistic about expectations .

Chrimtain

Quote from: Laoiseabu on November 06, 2018, 01:22:55 PM
I'm standing behind them but I just want to say they aren't world beaters in any regard . But I will support them as this is our minor team next year and I'm being realistic about expectations .

I think we are all realistic about expectations. That does not mean we need to run them down at every opportunity.

GAA-SMART

How did they do at the weekend

Oblivious

Unfortunately they lost by 4 points.

They were down 11 points at half time. There was a blinding sun and stiff breeze n the first half which Laois played into
of course in the second half the sun went in and the wind died down. That's the way it works out.

Offaly broke through very easy through midfield in the first half and played the better football and have some very talented individual players.
Laois had the opportunity in the second half to pull closer if not go in front but a number of wides and also with some cynical fouling by Offaly
in the later stages of the game prevented goal opportunities. From a positive point of view they played much better in the second half  and if they
had matched that in the First half the result would have been different. It was a good opportunity to look at various players at various positions
in a tournament environment so whats not to find encouraging about that.

Heshs Umpire

Five or six competitive games. How bad. Yes, mixed results but the management to be fair are working away trying to get the best 30 or so lads together for next year's minors. Let's judge them on that next July or whenever.
Well I could keep it above
But then it wouldn't be sky anymore

LooseCannon

Quote from: Oblivious on November 12, 2018, 10:50:37 AM
Unfortunately they lost by 4 points.

They were down 11 points at half time. There was a blinding sun and stiff breeze n the first half which Laois played into
of course in the second half the sun went in and the wind died down. That's the way it works out.

Offaly broke through very easy through midfield in the first half and played the better football and have some very talented individual players.
Laois had the opportunity in the second half to pull closer if not go in front but a number of wides and also with some cynical fouling by Offaly
in the later stages of the game prevented goal opportunities. From a positive point of view they played much better in the second half  and if they
had matched that in the First half the result would have been different. It was a good opportunity to look at various players at various positions
in a tournament environment so whats not to find encouraging about that.

Who played well for Offaly?
I wasn't at it but I saw a picture of the program so would know by the numbers. Thanks