Author Topic: The Pimp Your Photography Thread  (Read 29171 times)

Hound

• View Profile
Re: The Pimp Your Photography Thread
« Reply #255 on: November 15, 2021, 07:45:15 AM »
The belly duel is superb!

Fionntamhnach

• "Hey Lawrence..."
    • View Profile
« Reply #256 on: November 15, 2021, 07:05:42 PM »
The belly duel is superb!
One of them was in the Tyrone Masters team that beat Dublin a week ago!
FAKE NEWS KILLS

tbrick18

• View Profile
« Reply #257 on: November 16, 2021, 03:53:47 PM »
I have a 14year old who has an interest in photography (well as interested as you can be at 14).
I was thinking of getting him a camera of some description for christmas, but I haven't the first clue about what makes a decent camera and what makes a rubbish camera.
Can anyone give any recommendations? Something under 100 that's not pure rubbish?
Or am I aiming to high with that budget?

TIA

Milltown Row2

• Catch yourself on!
    • View Profile
« Reply #258 on: November 16, 2021, 03:57:57 PM »
I have a 14year old who has an interest in photography (well as interested as you can be at 14).
I was thinking of getting him a camera of some description for christmas, but I haven't the first clue about what makes a decent camera and what makes a rubbish camera.
Can anyone give any recommendations? Something under 100 that's not pure rubbish?

TIA

Its all about the lens!!

Ive a decent camera, takes cracking photos but head down to the pitch and try taking some pics of a game or so its doesn't look as good. Bigger lens will allow to get a better shot, might invest in a better lens and attach t to the Nikon camera I have.

mine was over 250
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

JoG2

• View Profile
« Reply #259 on: November 16, 2021, 06:25:17 PM »

TIA

I'm assuming the 14 year old has a smart phone? A camera under a 100 wouldn't be any better I wouldn't have thought. Entry level SLRs are 300 and up. Lens a Kings ransom on top
The Kodak PixPro AZ421 is a bridge camera that looks the part,  like a small SLR but with a permanent lens. Cheaper in Curry's than Argos after a quick check there.

Fionntamhnach

• "Hey Lawrence..."
    • View Profile
« Reply #260 on: November 17, 2021, 09:27:41 PM »

TIA

Not a camera expert, but I'll divulge what I know...

For under 100, you're limited to "point-and-shoot" or "compact" cameras, where apart from the possibility of optical zoom being available, will be little to no better than a half decent camera on a mobile phone - indeed when the camera started becoming ubiquitous on mobile phones in the mid-2000's it pretty much decimated the compact camera market. If you're still interested, then make sure any zoom feature is an optical zoom, digital zoom is almost as good as useless.

If you're prepared to raise the spending limit a bit more, you'll enter the budget territory of "bridge" cameras, these operate somewhat halfway between a compact camera and a more professional "SLR" or mirrorless with interchangeable lenses. Bridge cameras have a fixed lens on them but they are these days quite versatile and aren't the worst starting point for someone looking to get into photography and learning the things needed to get good shots in different conditions beyond having everything handled automatically by the camera. JoG2 mentioned the Kodak PixPro AZ421, it's available in Argos and while I've no knowledge of what the camera's like (other that Kodak these days is no longer the same beast it was even just 10 years ago) the reviews at Argos and elsewhere on the net suggests that it is a decent bridge camera for the money though it does lack a "proper" viewfinder - you may or may not care about this.

At the more serious end of photography you're looking at what is traditionally the "SLR" (single reflex lens) or Digital SLR end of cameras. SLRs have been starting to fall out of favour over the last few years to "MILC" or "mirrorless" cameras that are a bit smaller and lighter compared to SLRs (Canon and Nikon are the only manufacturers still making/releasing digital SLRs AFAIK). Here, the camera body and the lenses are separate purchases, and nearly everyone involved will tell you that the lens is more important than the camera and this is mostly true - differences in the camera body come down to things like the size & sensitivity of the sensor, its processing power (often related to the amount of shots per second or the resolution & frame rate of the video you can take) etc. but they won't work well without a decent lens. Most such cameras (except the very expensive professional end that are sold well into 4 figures) are sold with an option to include a "kit lens"  but different lenses for different scenarios are there to be bought. If you're starting out, the second hand market can be very good for used bargains, provided you know what you're looking for. Also best to talk or read the opinions of those with good knowledge of the market.
« Last Edit: November 17, 2021, 09:31:42 PM by Fionntamhnach »
FAKE NEWS KILLS

tbrick18

• View Profile
« Reply #261 on: November 18, 2021, 12:34:58 PM »
Cheers for all the info!
As I suspected, my budget is a bit light for anything semi-decent.

I happened to see a wee 2nd hand camera for sale on Facebook Marketplace near were we live. It's a Canon Powershot SX500 IS and had good reviews online for what it is.
I got it for 50. It looks like its hardly been used and seems to be working fine as expected.
My thinking is, let him get a feel for it with this Camera, if it's not just a passing notion we can always look for something decent. If, as I suspect might happen, he looks at it for day then it disappears behind a bed never to be seen again then at least I haven't spent a fortune.

Milltown Row2

• Catch yourself on!
    • View Profile
« Reply #262 on: November 18, 2021, 12:55:41 PM »
Cheers for all the info!
As I suspected, my budget is a bit light for anything semi-decent.

I happened to see a wee 2nd hand camera for sale on Facebook Marketplace near were we live. It's a Canon Powershot SX500 IS and had good reviews online for what it is.
I got it for 50. It looks like its hardly been used and seems to be working fine as expected.
My thinking is, let him get a feel for it with this Camera, if it's not just a passing notion we can always look for something decent. If, as I suspect might happen, he looks at it for day then it disappears behind a bed never to be seen again then at least I haven't spent a fortune.

Yes that's the best approach, I'm looking to get a new lens for mine, which will probably cost more than the camera!

I've a good mate who was a freelance photographer now works for the Mirror group (though I'm entirely sure how it works tbh) any way he makes a clean fortune! Obviously during the troubles there was plenty opportunity to get the 'right' picture and so on but with NI becoming a directors locations for films we get plenty of stars, which make photos very profitable.

He manages to get the breakfast in bed shot of Miss NI in the hotel the next day after they win, he's also did a promo for De Niro when he was promoting Nobu chain with celebrity chef Nobu Matsuhisa and film producer Meir Teper,  The trio now co-own scores of Nobu restaurants and hotels across five continents, so he was basically flying around in their private jet taking photo's!!

Obviously these are the best things about the job, the day to day mundane shots standing outside the courts can be boring as feck!
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea