NFL Division 1 2022

Started by Blowitupref, January 15, 2022, 08:56:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mackers

Quote from: David McKeown on March 27, 2022, 08:03:08 PM
Quote from: seanaglis on March 27, 2022, 07:38:14 PM
The row started at the end with McFadden-Ferry of Donegal going up into Aidan Nugents face and shouting. A pushing match started, with most players involved. Not a pile in it i thought. Donegal were goading armagh the whole match, with a lot of cynical fouling also. Nrs 4 and 7 for Donegal the worst culprits. They are a hard team to watch

Interesting I thought what started it was Murphy running up to Grugan on the far side of the pitch and giving him a belt round the back of the head in retaliation for a kick Grugan put in on Murphy earlier. Then two other Donegal players going to assist Murphy 3 on 1. Seemed to me that Armagh men went to go to Grugan assistance. Got blocked off and things kicked off from there.

Maybe the two things were unrelated and it was just coincidence of timing.

As for the incident itself I'd be surprised if there weren't suspensions handed out, very silly thing for either team to get involved with but not entirely surprising given the needle throughout in a largely meaningless game.
[/quote
Grugan was at our side at the final whistle. McMenamin (Donegal no 7) started on him. He had been dishing it out throughout the match. Fancies himself as a bit of a hard man by the looks of things. McGee's contribution whilst he was on the field as a temporary sub was pathetic also. Obviously came on to try and get a rise out of Rian whose temperament has improved dramatically. A few years ago he would have fell for it and started swinging.
Keep your pecker hard and your powder dry and the world will turn.

Solo_run

Quote from: mackers on March 27, 2022, 08:24:52 PM
The row started at the end with McFadden-Ferry of Donegal going up into Aidan Nugents face and shouting. A pushing match started, with most players involved. Not a pile in it i thought. Donegal were goading armagh the whole match, with a lot of cynical fouling also. Nrs 4 and 7 for Donegal the worst culprits. They are a hard team to watch

Interesting I thought what started it was Murphy running up to Grugan on the far side of the pitch and giving him a belt round the back of the head in retaliation for a kick Grugan put in on Murphy earlier. Then two other Donegal players going to assist Murphy 3 on 1. Seemed to me that Armagh men went to go to Grugan assistance. Got blocked off and things kicked off from there.

As for the incident itself I'd be surprised if there weren't suspensions handed out, very silly thing for either team to get involved with but not entirely surprising given the needle throughout in a largely meaningless game.
[/quote
Grugan was at our side at the final whistle. McMenamin (Donegal no 7) started on him. He had been dishing it out throughout the match. Fancies himself as a bit of a hard man by the looks of things. McGee's contribution whilst he was on the field as a temporary sub was pathetic also. Obviously came on to try and get a rise out of Rian whose temperament has improved dramatically. A few years ago he would have fell for it and started swinging.

The problems with all of this

1. The cameraman had the camera panned out from where the melee took place. However, something did kick off on the opposite side of the field (I think it was Grugan) who was surrounded by players and the linesman walked over to intervene  - so he obviously saw something.

Armagh were not looking pretty especially Hall who swiftly approached a Donegal player and tried a swing but missed from what I could see. There was too much of one players getting involved to try and stop an incident and then an opposition player coming over and flaring another argument up.

LCohen

Quote from: Solo_run on March 27, 2022, 08:21:18 PM
Quote from: sidelineball on March 27, 2022, 08:19:00 PM
Quote from: yellowcard on March 27, 2022, 07:17:39 PM
Lots of faux outrage, mostly from Tyrone supporters. It sounds like staving off relegation wasn't enough to satisfy them today. Most rational people thought the 4 suspensions doled out to Tyrone players was ridiculous at the time and none more so than the Tyrone fans. Now they appear to have had a conscience transplant when it comes to application of the rules just because Armagh were involved. Time to take off the red and white glasses and admit that it was much ado about nothing. Thankfully the game wasn't broadcast live on TV or the reaction would be even worse.

Think you're missing the point, Tyrone folk are merely highlighting the incident so as to see how it's dealt with and whether other counties are held to same standard and punished with as much enthusiasm as Tyrone are. Very similar incidents, with todays possibly a lot more violent. Obviously we know these things happen in games and are hard to get rid of. No one wants to see them and suspensions arising from them are a bit ridiculous. However it's the consistency of investigation that will be interesting.

The major difference between the incidents was that GAA upheld the red cards given to Tyrone and Armagh players by the referee but nothing else was done about the incident.

In this game I don't think any cards were given out at the end.  However, suspensions may come of it if they were able to single out players.

In my opinion it was nowhere near more violent.

The difference you point out is potentially important.

I wasn't at the match and haven't seen it. So I have no idea who is innocent and who is guilty. If there is guilt on any side I hope they are punished. If we are correctly punished I hope we take our medicine instead of any hopeless or Loganesque technical loophole appeal.

But these are all ifs. At this stage I have seen no guilt. Most others haven't either but it hasn't stopped assholes being assholes.

Am I correct in saying that the ref couldn't have issued cards as the game was over? In which case neither team can take any comfort from the fact that cards were not issued?

yellowcard

Lots of faux outrage, mostly from Tyrone supporters. It sounds like staving off relegation wasn't enough to satisfy them today. Most rational people thought the 4 suspensions doled out to Tyrone players was ridiculous at the time and none more so than the Tyrone fans. Now they appear to have had a conscience transplant when it comes to application of the rules just because Armagh were involved. Time to take off the red and white glasses and admit that it was much ado about nothing. Thankfully the game wasn't broadcast live on TV or the reaction would be even worse.

Think you're missing the point, Tyrone folk are merely highlighting the incident so as to see how it's dealt with and whether other counties are held to same standard and punished with as much enthusiasm as Tyrone are. Very similar incidents, with todays possibly a lot more violent. Obviously we know these things happen in games and are hard to get rid of. No one wants to see them and suspensions arising from them are a bit ridiculous. However it's the consistency of investigation that will be interesting.

Im fairly sure Tyrone fans were calling for suspensions based on the fact that they received 4 as a result of a similar episode earlier in the League. The difference is that Tyrone were issued with 4 actual red cards during the match. I said at the time that it was one of the most bizarre refereeing decisions I have seen and just because Gough took drastic action doesn't mean that this should be the de facto punishment for such incidents.

If Gough had been in black today we may have seen 5 red cards which simply highlights the ludicrous inconsistency.

delgany

Quote from: LCohen on March 27, 2022, 08:31:31 PM

The major difference between the incidents was that GAA upheld the red cards given to Tyrone and Armagh players by the referee but nothing else was done about the incident.

In this game I don't think any cards were given out at the end.  However, suspensions may come of it if they were able to single out players.

I wasn't at the match and haven't seen it. So I have no idea who is innocent and who is guilty. If there is guilt on any side I hope they are punished. If we are correctly punished I hope we take our medicine instead of any hopeless or Loganesque technical loophole appeal.

But these are all ifs. At this stage I have seen no guilt. Most others haven't either but it hasn't stopped assholes being assholes.

Am I correct in saying that the ref couldn't have issued cards as the game was over? In which case neither team can take any comfort from the fact that cards were not issued?

A new rule passed 4 weeks ago at Congress now  enables the ref to give cards before  the throw in , HT , and  after the game !

LCohen

Surely we have all seen evidence that supports a lot of Gough's decisions were correct.

I haven't seen any evidence that any of the red cards issued at the Athletics ground were wrong.

Teams have to learn to behave and if not, take their medicine. That includes us, if we have indeed transgressed

LCohen

Quote from: delgany on March 27, 2022, 08:41:44 PM
Quote from: LCohen on March 27, 2022, 08:31:31 PM

A new rule passed 4 weeks ago at Congress now  enables the ref to give cards before  the throw in , HT , and  after the game !

With effect from when?

Milltown Row2

Quote from: Solo_run on March 27, 2022, 07:36:10 PM
Quote from: Milltown Row2 on March 27, 2022, 07:34:23 PM
Quote from: Wildweasel74 on March 27, 2022, 07:07:54 PM
Half the problem is supporters of teams involved trying to defend the indefensible. Can't admit there a problem here. TV showed a number of players been swung to the ground so it above more than pushing or shoving. What's the subs and background team on the field getting involved for.

But I've seen one post already that's looking to blame those officiating the game! Christ

Who blamed the officiating?

If only poor officiating was put under the same scrutiny.
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Fear ón Srath Bán

:D Don't let those bitter oranges taste too  bitter now a bhuachaillí  ;D
Carlsberg don't do Gombeenocracies, but by jaysus if they did...

Solo_run

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on March 27, 2022, 08:49:42 PM
Half the problem is supporters of teams involved trying to defend the indefensible. Can't admit there a problem here. TV showed a number of players been swung to the ground so it above more than pushing or shoving. What's the subs and background team on the field getting involved for.

But I've seen one post already that's looking to blame those officiating the game! Christ

Because it is a bigger problem within the game than the pushing and shoving that goes on. That wasn't a comment against the officiating of the Donegal v Armagh game it was merely a point to show there are other significant problems that need to be dealt with. 

naka

From general consensus hall and Murphy seem to be one's who might have issues
Think armagh would take that croke park are handing out the suspensions 😗

Milltown Row2

Quote from: Solo_run on March 27, 2022, 08:53:10 PM
Quote from: Milltown Row2 on March 27, 2022, 08:49:42 PM

Because it is a bigger problem within the game than the pushing and shoving that goes on. That wasn't a comment against the officiating of the Donegal v Armagh game it was merely a point to show there are other significant problems that need to be dealt with.

Try it
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

yellowcard

Quote from: naka on March 27, 2022, 08:57:28 PM

From general consensus hall and Murphy seem to be one's who might have issues
Think armagh would take that croke park are handing out the suspensions 😗

If that's the case Armagh will be appealing if there ARENT any suspensions!

Lamh Dhearg Alba

Quote from: mackers on March 27, 2022, 04:13:49 PM
Quote from: Throw ball on March 27, 2022, 04:02:22 PM
Quote from: clarshack on March 27, 2022, 03:57:51 PM
Armagh went into the league a lot fitter than everyone else. The last few games when other teams have caught up fitness wise have shown where Armagh are really at.

Not sure the fitness point is true. They beat Dublin and Kildare who got relegated and they were fitter than Tyrone who were only back from holiday. Today they started with out their 2 best players and gave 2 other players their county debut.

Armagh are on an upward trajectory but they still have a long way to go.
He's posting that repeatedly. He has himself convinced of that 'fact'

Don't see how anybody could watch those games and not conclude that Armagh weren't a fair bit ahead with their preparation than Dublin and Tyrone, it was obvious. There is no slight either, teams coming from different places and at different stages of their development, it was more important for Armagh to really hit the ground running in the league. Other teams will catch up over the league with fitness but that doesn't mean Armagh won't have made progress in other areas. They can be very content with their league and the summer will tell us if they have indeed many significant progress.

From a Tyrone point of view that was a good end to a mixed league campaign. A few of last year's key men have done well the last few weeks and kept us alive and there were signs today that some others are on the right road. Canavan Og seems to be kicking on too. McShane and McKenna still to do so. Worrying to see Matty Donnelly going off injured. But all in all 7 points is a good return given we were coming into the league well off the pace and looked to be in a pretty dire place at half time against Dublin. Won that second half and followed it with wins over Mayo and Kerry, that's a decent platform to try and build upon.

Solo_run

RTE seemed to have forgot there was actually a game between Donegal and Armagh