Are we all cheering for England today?

Started by thewobbler, December 02, 2010, 10:18:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

armagho9

Quote from: Minder on December 02, 2010, 07:22:01 PM
All the Brit media, bar the Guardian I think, seemed to think it was a "huge boost" for the English bid that Putin was not attending the event. He obviously knew it was done and dusted.

think Putin gave a statement yesterday basically saying to let the bids speak for themselves and he didnt want to attend and put more pressure on those making the decisions.  Fair play to him if you ask me.  The English are so full of themselves they obviously thought that one of their royals and prime minister are so important that it would sway it for them.

deiseach

Quote from: armagho9 on December 02, 2010, 07:29:34 PM
All the Brit media, bar the Guardian I think, seemed to think it was a "huge boost" for the English bid that Putin was not attending the event. He obviously knew it was done and dusted.

think Putin gave a statement yesterday basically saying to let the bids speak for themselves and he didnt want to attend and put more pressure on those making the decisions.  Fair play to him if you ask me.  The English are so full of themselves they obviously thought that one of their royals and prime minister are so important that it would sway it for them.

Or perhaps Putin already had the votes bought and staying away is his alibi. Do you seriously think an autocrat like him is capable of being magnanimous?

armagho9

Quote from: deiseach on December 02, 2010, 09:12:37 PM
Quote from: armagho9 on December 02, 2010, 07:29:34 PM

Or perhaps Putin already had the votes bought and staying away is his alibi. Do you seriously think an autocrat like him is capable of being magnanimous?

Couldnt really care about his reasons.  Personally wanted Spain and Portugal to get it.  Just think its funny that the English didnt get it as i get sick listening to the usual "we are the best, best fans, best everything",  the reality is most countries dont like them and i would say thats the main reason they didnt get it. 

muppet

Quote from: Tyrones own on December 02, 2010, 07:05:39 PM
Quote from: tyssam5 on December 02, 2010, 06:56:02 PM
More disappointed about the USA losing out in 2022. Oh well usually a shite tournament anyway, Euros is better.
That is most unfortunate alright...strange result in that Obama was nowhere near it this time  ;D

I wonder should we ask Dubya where Qatar is, or even what it is?
MWWSI 2017

Tyrones own

Of course what gets lost here is the benefits it would have had on the massive
out of work labor force both in England and Ireland....just as long as we get a laugh, cause thats whats important, right?
*shakes head at the logic here sometimes  ::)
Where all think alike, no one thinks very much.
  - Walter Lippmann

Tyrones own

Quote from: muppet on December 02, 2010, 09:28:21 PM
Quote from: Tyrones own on December 02, 2010, 07:05:39 PM
Quote from: tyssam5 on December 02, 2010, 06:56:02 PM
More disappointed about the USA losing out in 2022. Oh well usually a shite tournament anyway, Euros is better.
That is most unfortunate alright...strange result in that Obama was nowhere near it this time  ;D

I wonder should we ask Dubya where Qatar is, or even what it is?
Eh... dubya isn't in office anymore, maybe ask Biden  :-X
Where all think alike, no one thinks very much.
  - Walter Lippmann

stephenite

The Aussie on the street is not a happy camper, the cheek of them not wanting to come here, well they can all f**k off etc.

Oceania chief was caught up in the corruption scandal and so that region lost the vote, which was guaranteed 9 votes for Australia, his deputy was supposed to vote but the fact that your man was intending to appeal it meant that the entire region lost it's vote, apparently.

armagho9

Quote from: Tyrones own on December 02, 2010, 09:32:24 PM
Of course what gets lost here is the benefits it would have had on the massive
out of work labor force both in England and Ireland....just as long as we get a laugh, cause thats whats important, right?
*shakes head at the logic here sometimes  ::)

Were they not mouthing that the stadiums were more or less in place and ready to go?  Already enough hotel rooms, infrastructure ready, England the only country that could host it tomorrow if need be was one of their arguements.

Londoners were constantly giving off over the past few years that the Olympics were creating no jobs for locals as most of the jobs were being given to eastern europeans. With extra work in Russia maybe many Eastern Europeans will head back for work  there which in turn will create more jobs here.

Extra work in Russia could benefit you more than extra work in England even without going there yourself. 

Fear ón Srath Bán

Maybe this boyo should have stayed at home:

"I'm very disappointed, as are the rest of the team," said Prince William, who spent much of the week lobbying for support and delivered an impressive speech during England's presentation.
Carlsberg don't do Gombeenocracies, but by jaysus if they did...

imtommygunn

You have to wonder about the English media.

The BBC, to me, were  a big letdown with their choice of timing in airing the panorama on the corruption. The Daily Mail sting operation too.

Basically these guys, say what you will about them, are putting the effort in for this bid - and it's a bid which would have been a massive lift financially speaking - and then these media are just p*ssing on it because they want a story.

I wouldn't have minded seeing England get it but mainly for selfish reasons in that it would be a handy world cup to go too. If you think about it the north of ireland would have benefited greatly too.

Now I'm sure they wouldn't have got it anyway however the media didn't help.

Now there will be the usual British media blame mentality where it will be one corrupt country or another's fault. Never their own though. They would sicken your hole. (and they would sicken anyone's not just because we're irish and are "meant" to dislike them)

ONeill

It's not just the British media who are delusional. I also listened to that Talkshite radio phone in and the general public were flabbergasted that the presence of Prince Willie and Golden Balls didn't swing it. They actually believe that the rest of the world cream over their royal family and Sir Becks. The odd caller said 'we're not liked' and was soon ushered off.
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

Carmen Stateside

Talksport was very entertaining today. Gutted they were! Talking about the Three lions they sent.
Even were saying that the FA should withdraw from FIFA now.

ONeill

Did you hear the gobshite presenter who said Arshavin should be booed at the next Arsenal match? Defeat brings out the best in the English.
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

Fear ón Srath Bán

The timing of that Panorama programme was rather curious, but fair fcuks to them I say.

As David Mellor said (interviewed on that programme), that it might be better for Engerland to lose out on this occasion, and thence to focus on cleaning up the rotten system without being in any way beholden as imminent hosts.

Those FIFA delegates, no doubt, are paragons of pristine probity on matters relating to the apportioning of goodies; though a little thoroughly thoroughgoing thrashing around the devenalising chamber of the simple sword of truth and the trusty shield of British fair play as inflicted by the British Tabloid Press ( :D ) might do them no harm at all  ;)
Carlsberg don't do Gombeenocracies, but by jaysus if they did...

ross4life

The key to success is to be consistently competitive -- if you bang on the door often it will open