Ulster Intermediate and Junior Club Championships 2010

Started by DownFanatic, October 04, 2010, 04:44:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

clarshack

if this succeeds then what about all the other teams that corduff beat?

nrico2006

Quote from: clarshack on December 16, 2010, 01:00:06 PM

Embarassing for a club to go down this route. 
'To the extreme I rock a mic like a vandal, light up a stage and wax a chump like a candle.'

clarshack

Quote from: nrico2006 on December 16, 2010, 01:49:05 PM

it certainly is.

should it not be a recommendation rather than a rule regarding a situation like this, and leave it to the discretion of the player's club if they can play or not.

we have an u-16 player (cathal devlin) who we didnt play this year because of this rule. this player could well have won us a tyrone junior title.

in 2004 when this rule didnt exist, gareth devlin scored 0-3 in the tyrone junior final against fintona and scored the winning point in the ulster final.

thebandit

I dont think he played at all in the Monaghan Championship

HiMucker

Its is crazy that a club could be stripped of a tittle for fielding a player who is considered not physically capable of playing at that level (this is why the rule exists).  Surely a fine would be suffice and even then it is silly.  The other club should be really embarrassed, would they contest if the team had of feilded a 19 year old female gymnast?? 

Bingo

Why have rules at all? Sure let them all take drugs, play as many players as they want, field players from other clubs, use two balls etc etc.

Regardless if the rule is daft and illogical, it is rule, set in stone and we hear two often of rules been enforced, appealed and decisions changed. It makes a mockery of the games and the rules.

Corduff knew well the rules and breached those rules. Maybe they should have been pulled on it when they named their squad, isn't that what the GAA database should be used for.

How long will it be before the Banty starts giving his thoughts on the matter?

HiMucker

I agree that rules should be enforced and ahered to, its the punishment that i would disagree with, ie fielding a player that is too young results in a club being stripped of a tittle.  Surely spitting at players, violent conduct, abusive language to officials is all worse offences than a 16 year old playing for the senior team?  So why have a greater punishment?

Bingo

Spitting, violent conduct etc are all individual actions and it is the individual that is punished on the spot.

This action was a premediated rule breach by the club/team management with the view to win a game/title. In that case a fine wouldn't be a problem, every club would field an eligible player, take the fine and the cup/glory. 

tommysmith

According to the local paper Swad are looking for a replay.

HiMucker

Look I know were your coming from, Im not really that passionate on the subject I just think its sound ludicrous.  I know why the rule exists, but maybe it should be looked at.   I remember in Derry when Mark lynch was still under 14 hes was playing for everyside going at his club and school.  he was practically the same size and level of ability he is at now!! I think to possibly deny a junior side or intermediate side a player of that ability for an important game is wrong.

Bingo

Is right, its the rule that needs looking at, some 16 year olds could play senior ball no bother while some 18/19 year olds still look 15. We won senior championships in the past with two 16 year olds on the starting 15 years back.

But if the rule is there it has to be respected.

tommysmith

Its all about player welfare and were very much into that in Cavan.

DuffleKing

That is an embarrassing road for swan to go down.

Quote from: Bingo on December 16, 2010, 03:37:49 PM
Why have rules at all? Sure let them all take drugs, play as many players as they want, field players from other clubs, use two balls etc etc.

Is there a rule that prohibits club players from taking drugs?

Did corduff not win the monaghan intermediate championship notsolongago?

tommysmith

Quote from: nrico2006 on December 16, 2010, 01:49:05 PM

Swad are an embarrasement because Corduff cheated ?????

They might never get a chance of an Ulster title again and they were beaten by a team who chaeated and knew what they were at.

Norf Tyrone

So if both teams had gifted 16 year olds and one team fielded theres (Scoring a goal) and the other side didn't, do you think the losing side should not appeal?
Owen Roe O'Neills GAC, Leckpatrick, Tyrone