Its snowing!

Started by mayogodhelpus@gmail.com, February 20, 2010, 04:44:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Puckoon

He's already pre-empted and read the conditions in front by s l o w i n g down.

Hereiam

By slowing down he is causing more trouble if a line of cars form behind him as they have to brake, its like a ripple effect until someone would have to hit the brakes and crash u have a pile up. Best thing is to keep at a steady spped and try to ignore whats behind u.

thebigfella

Quote from: Puckoon on December 08, 2010, 05:26:31 PM
He's already pre-empted and read the conditions in front by s l o w i n g down.

He's not slowing down down because of the conditions in front but what's going on behind? That's how I read it.

"If you are driving too close to me I will slow down further to allow for the speed/breaking distance."

It's his responsibility to maintain a safe breaking distance to the car in front and not try to dictate the breaking distances behind. Thats the job of the "responsible" driver behind  ;)

thebigfella

Quote from: Hereiam on December 08, 2010, 05:29:29 PM
By slowing down he is causing more trouble if a line of cars form behind him as they have to brake, its like a ripple effect until someone would have to hit the brakes and crash u have a pile up. Best thing is to keep at a steady spped and try to ignore whats behind u.

In fact you could argue, by concentrating on/dictating what happens behind, he is not driving with due care.

Hardy

Quote from: thebigfella on December 08, 2010, 05:34:47 PM

In fact you could argue, by concentrating on/dictating what happens behind, he is not driving with due care.

I wonder why they bother fitting rear view mirrors to cars then.

muppet

Quote from: Hardy on December 08, 2010, 05:39:38 PM

MWWSI 2017

Puckoon

Zap has originally slowed down because of the poor conditions is my take on it. On a normal road condition it still isnt acceptable to tail gate someone, but in bad conditions it is really not - I am not going to speed up on snowy or icy roads because a driver behind is putting pressure on. If they want to be that close to me I am going to slow down so that in the event they rear end me (which is possible because they are too damn close) - the damage is as minimal as possible.

I dont think in this instance that the front car is dictating the braking distance - the car behind is not respecting the braking distance and so the car in front (zap) is making sure he doesnt get ploughed into and off the road - while still being cautious of the conditions ahead.

f**k it lads too many road deaths - safety first. Don't put another driver in the position - its a privilege to use the roads, not a right.

Anyway, I try to ride the bus.

supersarsfields

Quote from: Hardy on December 08, 2010, 05:39:38 PM

Checking makeup obviously.

fitzroyalty

No point keeping breaking distance on the M1, wankers just pull into the gap in front of you every time. And people who tailgate deserve to be kept late.

pintsofguinness

No one should be driving in to the back of a car because it has slowed down!

No wonder there's so many road deaths.
Which one of you bitches wants to dance?

leaveherinsir

New onto this site, been reading on and off for a while, thought i would take the plunge! have to agree with the posters who think the car behind needs to stay back, on way to work yesterday, was minus 13, road like an ice rink, i was doing 30 mph and someone behind me close enough to smell my farts! Better for leaveherinsir to arrive a little late than the the "late" leaveherinsir not to arrive!

lurganblue

Had a wee go in a rear wheel drive smart car today in the snow laden roads. Obviously it has no power but it doesn't have any weight either so no grip at all.

ONeill

Skift of snow in West Antrim.
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

Tyrones own

Quote from: Puckoon on December 08, 2010, 03:54:57 PM
Quote from: Tyrones own on December 08, 2010, 03:36:37 PM
Quote from: Zapatista on December 08, 2010, 09:29:47 AM
A little tip for drivers out there. If you are driving too close to me I will slow down further to allow for the speed/breaking distance. If that frustrates you then tough, don't drive so close and I'll increase my speed accordingly.
Ive an idea...if you're that bad a driver, instead of slowing down to piss him off hows about slowing down and pulling off the road altogether and let people by that can drive!

Bollocks. Just because someone is not maintaining a suitable braking margin from the back end of my car does not mean I need to pull over and let them past me. The braking margin between cars lies on the car behind - not the car in front. In treacherous conditions the last thing anyone needs is one of these gulpins driving up their arse.

You're not one of those too, are you TO?
What does one of "those too" mean exactly miss daisey ?
Where all think alike, no one thinks very much.
  - Walter Lippmann

Puckoon