Its snowing!

Started by mayogodhelpus@gmail.com, February 20, 2010, 04:44:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

FL/MAYO

It was 3C here this morning...don't laugh its all relative poor Floridians cant handle cold weather.

SHEEDY

Quote from: Rois on December 07, 2010, 06:50:17 PM
My car read -12.5 when I left Strabane at 10am this morning, it had turned into a balmy -1 by Ballygawley. Seriously, the north west is so much worse than the south and east of
Ulster.
the temp in my car read -12 at 5.30pm in hilltown in south down. the roads are brutal, still loads of snow on road even the main roads.
nil satis nisi optimum

Sandy Hill

Quote from: The Iceman on December 07, 2010, 06:00:16 PM
Biggest problem is people driving cars they can't handle. If you can't drive a rear wheel drive car in icy conditions you have no business owning one.

@ Puck - I know from first hand experience that cat litter is great for getting out of a snow hole and creating traction. I carry a bag in the back along with the snow shovel.

Can anyone successfully drive one: I drive a BMW 320d and avoid the snow and ice as much as possible.
"Stercus accidit"

armaghniac

QuoteSeriously, the north west is so much worse than the south and east of Ulster

Now there is a truism. And the weather is often worse as well!

They had some craic in Scotland though, everyone stuck on the motorway and sleeping in their cars. 
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

All of a Sludden

What are the roads amd the weather like round Omagh and Enniskillen at the minute, I am supposed to be working there tomorrow.
I'm gonna show you as gently as I can how much you don't know.

oakleafgael

Quote from: All of a Sludden on December 07, 2010, 09:05:17 PM
What are the roads amd the weather like round Omagh and Enniskillen at the minute, I am supposed to be working there tomorrow.

The main roads are grand with a bit of care but any local or side road is a skating rink.

All of a Sludden

Quote from: oakleafgael on December 07, 2010, 09:06:58 PM

The main roads are grand with a bit of care but any local or side road is a skating rink.

Town centres ok?
I'm gonna show you as gently as I can how much you don't know.

The Iceman

Quote from: Sandy Hill on December 07, 2010, 08:00:07 PM
Biggest problem is people driving cars they can't handle. If you can't drive a rear wheel drive car in icy conditions you have no business owning one.

@ Puck - I know from first hand experience that cat litter is great for getting out of a snow hole and creating traction. I carry a bag in the back along with the snow shovel.

Can anyone successfully drive one: I drive a BMW 320d and avoid the snow and ice as much as possible.

Do you drive normally with traction control on or off?
I will always keep myself mentally alert, physically strong and morally straight

ziggysego

Terrible. Stay away. Don't come. Stay in Louth.
Testing Accessibility

ziggysego

I let my snowman into the house last night, as I didn't want him to get too cold. The git pissed all over my floor and left, before I got up this morning.  >:(
Testing Accessibility

bennydorano

Are there any actual benefits to a rear wheel drive compared to front wheel??

andoireabu

Quote from: bennydorano on December 07, 2010, 09:33:16 PM

Are there any actual benefits to a rear wheel drive compared to front wheel??
None. 4WD is best then front wheel drive. As narrow a tyre as possible and drive as slow as you can in as high a gear as the car lets you.  Don't think fuel makes much difference.

Snowing again at home. Car hasn't read positive temp in a week
Private Cowboy: Don't shit me, man!
Private Joker: I wouldn't shit you. You're my favorite turd!

bennydorano

That's what i was thinking; was wondering why Iceman was coming out with the "If you can't drive a rear wheel drive car in icy conditions you have no business owning one" ???

ONeill

Quote from: ziggysego on December 07, 2010, 09:30:04 PM
I let my snowman into the house last night, as I didn't want him to get too cold. The git pissed all over my floor and left, before I got up this morning.  >:(

So did I. He never gave over about the horrible smell of carrots in my house.

Sorry.
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

Tony Baloney

Quote from: Take Your Points on December 07, 2010, 09:26:18 PM
I have abandoned my A3 automatic for the wife's diesel golf.  Audi difficult to control even using semi-automatic gearbox, low profile tyres and 2L Turbo petrol engine make it a tricky option in the snow. Meanwhile the Golf has no problem with 1.6 TDI engine with manual box. Very little spinning.

Apparently, the best option in the snow is a 4x4 Fiat Panda with narrow winter tyres
You should have bought the 2.0T Quattro. You can have that one for free. Awful fuel consumption in thon yoke too - mini mid-life crisis purchase?