Its snowing!

Started by mayogodhelpus@gmail.com, February 20, 2010, 04:44:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Iceman

Would nobody buy a snow plough for this weather and clean up roads and car parks and yards and lanes for cash?
Surely there is money to be made? Stick it on the front of a tractor of 4x4 yoke and away you go.
I will always keep myself mentally alert, physically strong and morally straight

gerrykeegan

Snow means dough for entrepreneurs Gavin Satchwell, Dave Robinson and James Hinde after clearing snow from the Nutgrove Shopping Centre carpark in Dublin

Tuesday December 07 2010

WHERE there's snow there's dough, as three entrepreneurs have discovered.

Armed with a snow plough, they are clearing ice and snow from car parks and industrial estates -- making hundreds of euro each time.

The snowbusters have been working from 5pm to 5am and managing to hold down their day jobs, too.

By day, Dave Robinson, from Maynooth, Co Kildare, is a farmer; James Hinde, also from Maynooth, is a cattle exporter; and their partner, Andrew Nuzum from Clonee, Co Meath, runs their road-marking company. By night, their entrepreneurial spirit and hard work keep them from their beds.

The company has taken on three more workers to deal with the calls to clear areas that the local authorities do not touch.

"We did a bit of this work last year," said James. "But people asked us to help because they knew we had the equipment to deal with the snow."

That equipment is three lorries with spreaders and gritters for salt and grit and tractors to shift the snow.

They have cleared the Luas car parks around Dublin, and shopping centres and business parks around the Dublin and Kildare areas.

"We knew where to get the salt and in the past week we have spread about 30 tonnes of it," said James.

He is tight-lipped about the cost of such hard work, but it is understood to be in the hundreds for clearing a car park.

"But sure you have to help people out," he said, admitting that they have been out every night for the past week without fail.

Their goodwill does not end there. The three are featured in next year's 'Irish Farmers' calendar, a tongue-in-cheek revelation of the bare chested IMF (Irish Male Farmer), which is being sold in aid of Bothar, a charity that sends farm animals to families in developing countries.

- Cathy Power

Irish Independent

2007  2008 & 2009 Fantasy Golf Winner
(A legitimately held title unlike Dinny's)

ziggysego

Quote from: The Iceman on December 07, 2010, 03:40:25 PM
Would nobody buy a snow plough for this weather and clean up roads and car parks and yards and lanes for cash?
Surely there is money to be made? Stick it on the front of a tractor of 4x4 yoke and away you go.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kVWdf1Ky2bI
Testing Accessibility

bennydorano

Quote from: Onion Bag on December 07, 2010, 01:48:26 PM
Quote from: bennydorano on December 07, 2010, 11:25:46 AM
Quote from: gerry on December 06, 2010, 09:31:47 PM
45 minutes but my car has low profile wheels which are rubbish in the snow. Its not like anyone at home waiting for me. And yes purchased clean underwear

Que?  I bought a new yoke a few months back and it is pure shite in this weather, all over the place,  i was wondering wtf is going on - could this be a factor?  1.8 petrol engine not helpeing I'd imagine.

Is it back wheel drive Benny?

Yes.  Mazda 5, big enough People carrier which I automatically assumed would mean greater safety benefits. Came down a steep hill yesterday sideways, got it straightened out a bit, scared the absolute shite outa me, car full of childer too.

Onion Bag

the back wheel drive yoke are 10 times worse than a front wheel drive,
Hats, Flags and Head Bands!

Puckoon

Its back wheel drive? My mazda 6 is front wheel drive and is equally shite in the bad weather.

bennydorano

I wouldn't be that knowledgable about cars tbh, but I assume it is because of the feel/performance.  Must have a look at the manual some of these days.

Puckoon

I know mine is front wheel drive because they are the two that sit and spin in the feckin snow when I am stuck.

Apparently (although it doesnt help us) they are bringing out all wheel drive for some of the mazda models next year.

Tony Baloney

Quote from: Onion Bag on December 07, 2010, 04:54:41 PM
Aye sure the country is littered with abandoned 5 series BMWs. Was a fella driving behind me this morning in a black M5 and he looked like he was going to shit himself.

I honestly didn't think the roads were as bad as the traffic chaos made out. Employers hit the panic button too early and by letting everyone empty out onto the roads caused gridlock. Some horror stories our place of people taking 5 hours to get 20 or 30 miles. Sure that's nuts - the roads aren't that bad.

isourboydownyet

Quote from: Tony Baloney on December 07, 2010, 05:06:46 PM
Aye sure the country is littered with abandoned 5 series BMWs. Was a fella driving behind me this morning in a black M5 and he looked like he was going to shit himself.

I honestly didn't think the roads were as bad as the traffic chaos made out. Employers hit the panic button too early and by letting everyone empty out onto the roads caused gridlock. Some horror stories our place of people taking 5 hours to get 20 or 30 miles. Sure that's nuts - the roads aren't that bad.

that car would scare the shit outta you at the best of times

Tony Baloney

Quote from: isourboydownyet on December 07, 2010, 05:14:12 PM
Quote from: Tony Baloney on December 07, 2010, 05:06:46 PM

that car would scare the shit outta you at the best of times
Aye you wouldn't want to accidentally plant the foot in that bad boy in this weather!

pintsofguinness

No snow here but freezing fog like I've never seen before
Which one of you bitches wants to dance?

The Iceman

Biggest problem is people driving cars they can't handle. If you can't drive a rear wheel drive car in icy conditions you have no business owning one.

@ Puck - I know from first hand experience that cat litter is great for getting out of a snow hole and creating traction. I carry a bag in the back along with the snow shovel.
I will always keep myself mentally alert, physically strong and morally straight

Rois

My car read -12.5 when I left Strabane at 10am this morning, it had turned into a balmy -1 by Ballygawley. Seriously, the north west is so much worse than the south and east of
Ulster.

Norf Tyrone

Quote from: Rois on December 07, 2010, 06:50:17 PM
My car read -12.5 when I left Strabane at 10am this morning, it had turned into a balmy -1 by Ballygawley. Seriously, the north west is so much worse than the south and east of
Ulster.

Totally agree. Left a sunny Belfast yesterday at 12.30pm or so, and it started to become armageddonish when I reached Ballygawley.

By the way it was -13.5 one morning last week when I was going to work!!
Owen Roe O'Neills GAC, Leckpatrick, Tyrone