Its snowing!

Started by mayogodhelpus@gmail.com, February 20, 2010, 04:44:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mc_grens

Quote from: Tyrones own on December 08, 2010, 08:55:13 PM
Quote from: Puckoon on December 08, 2010, 03:54:57 PM
Quote from: Tyrones own on December 08, 2010, 03:36:37 PM
Quote from: Zapatista on December 08, 2010, 09:29:47 AM
A little tip for drivers out there. If you are driving too close to me I will slow down further to allow for the speed/breaking distance. If that frustrates you then tough, don't drive so close and I'll increase my speed accordingly.
Ive an idea...if you're that bad a driver, instead of slowing down to piss him off hows about slowing down and pulling off the road altogether and let people by that can drive!

Bollocks. Just because someone is not maintaining a suitable braking margin from the back end of my car does not mean I need to pull over and let them past me. The braking margin between cars lies on the car behind - not the car in front. In treacherous conditions the last thing anyone needs is one of these gulpins driving up their arse.

You're not one of those too, are you TO?
What does one of "those too" mean exactly miss daisey ?

So your definition of a "good" driver is one who drives at speed TO? Even in these conditions?

Zapatista

Quote from: Puckoon on December 08, 2010, 05:44:04 PM
Zap has originally slowed down because of the poor conditions is my take on it. On a normal road condition it still isnt acceptable to tail gate someone, but in bad conditions it is really not - I am not going to speed up on snowy or icy roads because a driver behind is putting pressure on. If they want to be that close to me I am going to slow down so that in the event they rear end me (which is possible because they are too damn close) - the damage is as minimal as possible.

I dont think in this instance that the front car is dictating the braking distance - the car behind is not respecting the braking distance and so the car in front (zap) is making sure he doesnt get ploughed into and off the road - while still being cautious of the conditions ahead.

f**k it lads too many road deaths - safety first. Don't put another driver in the position - its a privilege to use the roads, not a right.

Anyway, I try to ride the bus.

Spot on.

If there is a build up of cars behind I will again adjust my speed and act accordingly in the safest manner. Assume there is no build up as it wasn't mentioned, I didn't mention about the car in front of me either so assume it's at a safe distance etc.

Yes it's poor road conditions that's why I posted on this thread.

Tyrones own

Quote from: Puckoon on December 08, 2010, 10:21:56 PM
A tailgater.  :)
Ooh  :o  but I'll stand by my point; slow drivers are every bit as dangerous as the eejits
as they frustrate the fcuk out of people who don't want to drive 15 miles at 10mph and can't get past...what's funny is if ye would notice when looking in the rear view mirror at the tailgater ;) that you have 2 mile of a tail back, maybe just maybe you might think to pull over and let them through, think about it...it would give you time to fix your make up safely while parked on the side of the road as well :-*
Where all think alike, no one thinks very much.
  - Walter Lippmann

Tyrones own

Quote from: Puckoon on December 08, 2010, 05:44:04 PM
Zap has originally slowed down because of the poor conditions is my take on it. On a normal road condition it still isnt acceptable to tail gate someone, but in bad conditions it is really not - I am not going to speed up on snowy or icy roads because a driver behind is putting pressure on. If they want to be that close to me I am going to slow down so that in the event they rear end me (which is possible because they are too damn close) - the damage is as minimal as possible.

I dont think in this instance that the front car is dictating the braking distance - the car behind is not respecting the braking distance and so the car in front (zap) is making sure he doesnt get ploughed into and off the road - while still being cautious of the conditions ahead.

f**k it lads too many road deaths - safety first. Don't put another driver in the position - its a privilege to use the roads, not a right.

Anyway, I try to ride the bus.

Good...one less of ye on the road driving like auld dolls pestering people then :P
  - Walter Lippmann

Puckoon

I think your point is sheer nonsense in bad weather conditions - which is what was being talked about!

Slower drivers are not the dangerous drivers in bad road conditions - unless of course you are talking through the eyes of a fast driver who's primary concern is Me, Myself and I.

There may be some merit to an "optimal" driving speed for bad weather - but that assumes all things are equal, which they most certainly are not.

Who are you blowing kisses to? I thought you'd have went for "the bird", being a California boy and all that.

Tyrones own

QuoteSlower drivers are not the dangerous drivers in bad road conditions - unless of course you are talking through the eyes of a fast driver who's primary concern is Me, Myself and I.
No not through the eyes of a fast driver just one that doesn't snail around corners white knuckled at 5 or 10 mph thinking one
wrong move and she'll land on her roof ::)
QuoteWho are you blowing kisses to?
You...the fixing of your make up thing, remember...ah forget it  :-\
  - Walter Lippmann

Norf Tyrone

I can't understand why the schools are still closed. The roads are not that bad, but a lot of schools closed today and tomorrow. And the teachers are still pocketing full pay for this? Will they have to pay back the time at a later date?
Owen Roe O'Neills GAC, Leckpatrick, Tyrone

Lar Naparka

Quote from: Norf Tyrone on December 09, 2010, 12:57:33 AM
I can't understand why the schools are still closed. The roads are not that bad, but a lot of schools closed today and tomorrow. And the teachers are still pocketing full pay for this? Will they have to pay back the time at a later date?

Fresh snow isn't the problem unless the fall is particularly heavy and you get deep snow drifts. The big safety concern is the slush and ice that usually follow.
Nil Carborundum Illegitemi

tyssam5

Does anyone in Ireland ever uses chains on the tires? Can you even get them?

Never beat the deeler

Quote from: tyssam5 on December 09, 2010, 01:26:36 AM

Think theyre illegal, arent they?
Hasta la victoria siempre

WeeDonns

Quote from: Never beat the deeler on December 09, 2010, 01:55:34 AM

Think theyre illegal, arent they?
No. Pretty sure that's a rumour that's spread way too far.
I believe you can get penalty points for driving in them when there is no need.

The brother tried to buy some last weekend but couldn't find them anywhere.
Ordering online, or winter tyres would be the best option

armaghniac

If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

orangeman

Saw them for sale in Halfords yesterday.