Tyrone Club Football and Hurling

Started by Gabriel_Hurl, November 09, 2006, 10:54:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tyrone11234

Mikhailov

Lads, it is not going to be easy to keep everyone happy with this split season policy.

Some clubs insist on all games with county players - so if league starts in June (at the earliest if Tyrone go well) then we will still be playing football in December

On the other hand, I thought the whole idea of split season was to insure all club championships were played at the same time and the provincial club & AI series could be finished in the calendar year ie: in December

If this is correct (I stand corrected) then surely Tyrone will have to start much earlier to insure the following;
- club championship played on time
- no league games in December

Also, there has to starred games played in order to allow both of the above to happen. There simply isn't enough time from end of June onwards to complete a full league season (with county men) and championship unless we play at least 5 starred games in May & June.

Maybe I am totally wrong but I can't see how this works that club is only from July onwards.

smort

Not sure how it is going to work but there are 18 weekends from start of July to end of October. A couple of double game weeks in July and August would make even more room

clarshack

Quote from: Mikhailov on December 08, 2021, 12:15:05 PM
Lads, it is not going to be easy to keep everyone happy with this split season policy.

Some clubs insist on all games with county players - so if league starts in June (at the earliest if Tyrone go well) then we will still be playing football in December

On the other hand, I thought the whole idea of split season was to insure all club championships were played at the same time and the provincial club & AI series could be finished in the calendar year ie: in December

If this is correct (I stand corrected) then surely Tyrone will have to start much earlier to insure the following;
- club championship played on time
- no league games in December

Also, there has to starred games played in order to allow both of the above to happen. There simply isn't enough time from end of June onwards to complete a full league season (with county men) and championship unless we play at least 5 starred games in May & June.

Maybe I am totally wrong but I can't see how this works that club is only from July onwards.

Can't see it working myself.

So if club season starts in July when would clubs start training again? March/April? surely there wouldn't be clubs training again from next month?

Mikhailov

Quote from: smort on December 08, 2021, 12:51:45 PM
Not sure how it is going to work but there are 18 weekends from start of July to end of October. A couple of double game weeks in July and August would make even more room

18 weekends to fit in 15 league games, 4 rounds of championship and 2 weeks of holiday period in July - that isn't going to work. All this is assuming Tyrone get knocked out before semi final stage as well

Twobounces

Quote from: Mikhailov on December 08, 2021, 01:02:20 PM
Quote from: smort on December 08, 2021, 12:51:45 PM

18 weekends to fit in 15 league games, 4 rounds of championship and 2 weeks of holiday period in July - that isn't going to work. All this is assuming Tyrone get knocked out before semi final stage as well

I suggested this a few weeks ago and was laughed at and told to stop complaining.  Not possible to complete the league & Championship from August onwards, before Christmas.  Also if starts after July holidays there will be very few Friday night games due to the evenings getting shorter.  I assume there they will have to be some starred games somewhere to get the league going before Tyrone are out of the the championship.  But this will mean that 99% of players will have no football after Easter until about June. 

Mikhailov

A possible solution will be to start for example mid May and play starred games every other week so by end of June you would only have max 4 games played but at least every player (club & county) are active. Then depending on how Tyrone do we then progress into remainder of league & championship but in reality we don't want to be playing league football in December so we need to get it past 11/12 league game stage by end of August at worst.

It will not be easy to work out a plan that suits every team especially with a successful county side. Without being disrespectful to the hurling community within our county - can you imagine the hassle we would have if we had a full blown dual club ethic in our county.

Dublin, Cork, Galway and similar dual code counties must be a nightmare to sort out if the county player is expected to play club GAA also in both codes

Goals_Will_Come

Start season Mid/End of May and play 4-6 starred rounds. League concluded end of August. Championship September.

Tyrone11234

Star rounds should be avoided at all costs

clarshack

Quote from: Christmas Lights on December 06, 2021, 09:11:08 AM
Quote from: clarshack on December 04, 2021, 06:11:34 PM
Quote from: redzone on December 04, 2021, 05:34:18 PM
Quote from: Tyrone Gaa on December 04, 2021, 05:11:02 PM
Poor reflection on our club game when we lose out to Fermanagh champions. Dromore will enjoy themselves and reflect on a good year but it's failure for Tyrone once again in the Ulster Club.
No doubt about it that you know very little about Derrygonnelly. Should have been in the final a few years ago and have about 8 players that have played for fermanagh thas last few years. Game coukd have went either way and plenty of people had it 50/50 before it started. It's winter football now and that suits them

Tyrone champions should be beating Fermanagh champions. No excuses.

That should get a few bites lol

Wooly agrees with me lol...

https://www.sportsjoe.ie/gaa/story-tyrone-clubs-woeful-record-ulster-championship-243410

mysticmac

Quote from: clarshack on December 08, 2021, 07:04:33 PM
Quote from: Christmas Lights on December 06, 2021, 09:11:08 AM
Quote from: clarshack on December 04, 2021, 06:11:34 PM
Quote from: redzone on December 04, 2021, 05:34:18 PM
Quote from: Tyrone Gaa on December 04, 2021, 05:11:02 PM
Poor reflection on our club game when we lose out to Fermanagh champions. Dromore will enjoy themselves and reflect on a good year but it's failure for Tyrone once again in the Ulster Club.
No doubt about it that you know very little about Derrygonnelly. Should have been in the final a few years ago and have about 8 players that have played for fermanagh thas last few years. Game coukd have went either way and plenty of people had it 50/50 before it started. It's winter football now and that suits them

Tyrone champions should be beating Fermanagh champions. No excuses.

That should get a few bites lol

Wooly agrees with me lol...

https://www.sportsjoe.ie/gaa/story-tyrone-clubs-woeful-record-ulster-championship-243410

Wooly would know more about a soup sandwich, no wonder hes leaving that sportsjoe because they probably got sick listening to him, in defence of our neighbours over in errigal, 2 ulster club championships at senior level arent easy won, i wouldnt know much about wooly but im sure he doesnt have that to his name, the spa

scout

Think you'll find wooly would have a Leinster club medal in his pocket.

Redhand Santa

Quote from: Tyrone11234 on December 08, 2021, 06:41:24 PM
Star rounds should be avoided at all costs

The only option is starred rounds or some other competition without county players. The problem with it would be getting clubs to take it seriously. There is no way you can plan the club season to start late July after the All Ireland is over. That would mean playing a 4/5 month season maximum with a chunk of it played late in the year. The season has to be started by late May at the latest - May to October/November would be ideal.

Given there is 16 teams next year I assume they will go back to the 5 starred games. These can be played May/June on Friday nights. Then a 2/3 week break in July for the holidays before starting into the remaining 10 games. If Tyrone out early could squeeze a non starred game or two in pre holidays. Might have to have a few double rounds in August to ensure league wrapped up before the championship. Mid week isnt ideal but if all clubs knew they had 2/3 local Wednesday night fixtures well in advance I'm sure players could work around that.

sam03/05

The problem with it all is that clubs want the best of both worlds
They called for years for a split season so that they can play their county players every game
But when they finally get it they want to start the season up during the County season.
And then will spend those 2 months complaining about starred games and not having county players

Norf Tyrone

The things is you'll have some seasons where you'll have say 4 x starred games without County men. Then other years Tyrone will go out early and you might have 1 or 2.

I think it might take a year or two but with a few tweaks it'll work better.
Owen Roe O'Neills GAC, Leckpatrick, Tyrone