Official Cavan GAA Thread

Started by BallyhaiseMan, November 10, 2006, 01:47:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rodney trotter

Maybe Cullivan isn't interested. He had a good year but not sure if has the mobility for a half forward role in County Football. He is too small for midfield at County Senior.

Over did it on the Gym work, when he was younger.

Itchy

Quote from: rodney trotter on November 06, 2016, 10:56:26 AM
Maybe Cullivan isn't interested. He had a good year but not sure if has the mobility for a half forward role in County Football. He is too small for midfield at County Senior.

Over did it on the Gym work, when he was younger.

I was thinking more of him being an option at Full Forward.

rodney trotter

Suppose, but he isn't the tallest of players. Has good strength.

McDermott will be back in 2017, which will be a help. Missed all the Championship and only played in 1 League game.

rodney trotter

Heard Cullivan is back training with the County panel. Martin Dunne as well.

Itchy

Very sad news with the passing of Joe McCarthy. A man who put a huge amount into Cavan football.RIP.

mrdeeds

Donal Keogan new manager of Castlerahan. Anthony Forde trainer.

rodney trotter

Cavan will be without a number of influential players in 2017 as new manager Mattie McGleenan prepares them for a first Division 1 campaign in 15 years.

McGleenan has confirmed that David Givney, Cian Mackey, Fergal Flanagan and Eugene Keating will not be part of his squad next season.
Work is to take Givney and Mackey to London, while Flanagan is not in a position to give a commitment either.

Givney and Keating only returned to the squad for the 2016 season, having sat out the previous year.
Givney's influence told in their promotion push and again as they beat Armagh and drew with Tyrone in the Ulster Championship. Flanagan has emerged as one of the county's key defenders.

"There are certainly three, four, five lads from the starting team (in 2016) who, due to work commitments and various bits and pieces, aren't going to be about," said McGleenan.
"That's just life. You have to work, you have to live, you have to get on. The best 15 Cavan men we can find, we'll put them out and it will be their opportunity.

"We can't concern ourselves too much about them (absentees). Maybe later on in the year we might get them back. If any of their circumstances change, there is no doubt we'd be mad keen to have them on board."
McGleenan admitted that being asked if he was interested in the position was something "beyond my expectation"

"I never saw it coming. I was thoroughly enjoying time with Scotstown and for Gerry Brady (Cavan chairman) to ring me and ask me would I be interested in going for an interview, I thought it was an unreal thing."
Division 1 will be a challenge but will be a "great educator."

"It's the place you want to be, playing against the top seven teams in the game," said McGleenan. "If you don't enjoy yourself with that. . ."
McGleenan has retained some of Terry Hyland's back-room team and praised the work that his predecessor did and the legacy he left behind.
Irish Independent

skeog

Seems strange saying they may be back,would that not have some fellows insecure for the big games in the summer.

mrdeeds

James McEnroe done something similar this year.

Westside

McGleenan hasn't exactly impressed too much with his media statements so far. You can add the 'We'd be delighted to have them back at any time' statement.

Keating isn't exactly a big loss at this point, he's offered very in the time that he's been there since 2013. Flanagan is a solid player but I think we have depth in that position. Givney is a loss, he completely turned his game around last year. Mackey is the biggest loss of the lot, there's no replacing him really.

Anyone else think it's worrying that this is becoming a trend every year? More worrying still, lads are opting out despite the chance to play the best teams in the country in a league campaign.

rodney trotter

A blow to be losing experienced players. The new players will have to step up to the mark, not easy against Division 1 opposition.

Roscommon have lost a good few as well. Themselves and Cavan will be fighting relegation.

Itchy

Cavan beat Kildare by 2 goals in a challenge today. No idea on the team or what team Johnston was playing for ;D

Itchy

f**k sake there's no interest here anymore. Anyone hazard a guess at what players might slip into the roles vacated by Givney, Mackey and mckiernan? Is argue ready? Could money go inside? Is Conor Maddrn still on the panel?

Over on hoganstand someone said cullivan was cut from the panel.

mrdeeds

Cullivan was cut. I'd imagine Mackey be back in his own role. He doing all the stuff County boys are in London.

Itchy

Quote from: mrdeeds on December 30, 2016, 11:49:51 PM
Cullivan was cut. I'd imagine Mackey be back in his own role. He doing all the stuff County boys are in London.

I thought Mackey was not playing at all this year? When is he intending on playing?