Official Cavan GAA Thread

Started by BallyhaiseMan, November 10, 2006, 01:47:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rodney trotter

Darragh Kennedy, Donal Monaghan, Luke Fortune,Conor Smith,David Brady,  Thomas Edward Donahoe,Paul Leddy, David Wilson.

MacRory players wont be involved in Minor League

rodney trotter

Virginia College claimed the All-Ireland senior Vocational Schools football title with a magnificent 0-10 to 1-5 victory over St Brogan's College, Bandon, at McDonagh Park in Nenagh on Saturday April 29 2006.

This was a landmark victory not just for the school but also for vocational schools football in the county and Cavan GAA in general.
It's the first time a Cavan school has won an All-Ireland at this level and the players as well as the team management of Niall Lynch, Bart McEnroe and Nicolas Walsh deserve the utmost credit.

The winners dominated early exchanges but were unable to get on the scoreboard due to nervousness in front of the posts. Eugene Keating got the opening score and further points from Ciaran Sexton, Conor Smith (2) and Keating again fired the Cavan and Ulster champions into a 0-5 to 0-2 interval lead.

A more physical Cork side closed within a point upon the resumption but Terry Keating's 45th-minute point steadied Virginia. Three points in five minutes from Eugene Keating, Smith and Terry Keating sealed a historic victory.

The Virginia College team which won the 2005/06 All-Ireland crown was: M. Clarke (capt.); K Farrelly, B. Coleman, D. Foxe; C Tully, R. Farrelly, T. Ferguson; Eugene Keating (0-4) , J. McEnroe; C. Sexton (0-1), D. Costello, T. Keating (0-1); A. Cole, C. Smith (0-4), F. Flanagan

The defending All-Ireland champions met St Oliver's College, Drogheda (the first Louth side to win a Leinster title at this level) in the national VS U18 decider at Clones on Sunday April 22. It was a tough assignment but Virginia put their vast experience to magnificent use as they powered to an emphatic double-scores victory, 4-10 to 2-5.
Conor Smith's hat-trick of goals was decisive and the winners-elect never looked back after the full forward's first-half brace. Even though they lost Eugene Keating and Michael Smith to nasty injuries in the first half, Virginia never loosened their grip on the match. They led by 2-6 to 1-3 at the interval and the second period was almost an exact replica of the first one, scoring-wise.

The winners hit 2-3 without reply on the resumption, with goals from Smith and Adrian Cole, to assume a 15-point advantage with quarter of the match remaining. Clearly, there was no way back for the Droghedeans. Incredibly, another perfect campaign from Virginia College.

Virginia College - 2006/07 All-Ireland senior 'A' Vocational Schools football champions: M McWeeney; D Barkey, B Colemen, M Smith; F Flanagan, D Foxe, P Cusack; E Keating, J McEnroe; T Keating, A Cole (1-2), P Queally; C Sexton (0-3), Conor Smith (3-1), G Daly (0-2). Subs: K Connell, S O'Reilly (0-1), J Smith (0-1), B Boylan, O Smith

There was some class players at the time in those teams, Conor Smith didn't progress on, or Ado Cole

Westside

So the Rossies push for promotion now and Laois drag Galway down into the relegation scrap. Still a very real danger of us going down, I wouldn't like to be going to Navan on the last day needing points to keep us up. Hopefully we can beat Westmeath and then we're definitely safe. Wouldn't be like Cavan to do things the hard way anyway......

mylestheslasher

Someone will go down on 6 points in this division. Cavan need to beat Westmeath, end of story. Same result will probably relegate Westmeath. Massive game with high stakes next Saturday.

Westside

Too many permutations and with anyone being able to beat anyone in this Division, we won't know how things are truly going to shape up until after next weekend. But if we beat Westmeath we're safe regardless. Argue, Hayes and Ciaran Brady back in as options which is helpful. Hopefully Dunne can keep tabs on Heslin. Massive game, safety in Div 2 signifies further progress for the team. I think it's vital the squad gets that sort of tangible achievement this year after the travesty of a Championship last season.

Itchy

Team named....

Gunner, moynagh out Damien Reilly and Bud Fitz in. Marrin dunne stays on for Jack Brady. Bit light in forwards but a fair enough team based on the last performance. I'd love to see Bud knock over a few points.

Conor Gilsenan (Bailieboro), Jason McLoughlin (Shannon Gaels), Rory Dunne (Redhills), Ronan Flanagan (Castlerahan), James McEnroe (Ramor Utd), Fergal Flanagan (Butlersbridge), Damien O'Reilly (Belturbet), Tomas Corr (Denn), Gearoid McKiernan (Swanlinbar), Dara McVeety (Crosserlough), Niall McDermott (Ballinagh), Martin Reilly (Killygarry), Cian Mackey (Castlerahan), Martin Dunne (Cavan Gaels), Brendan Fitzpatrick (Belturbet).

rodney trotter

Good team for what is available, Argue and Clarke injured. The defence fairly solid, probaly be those 6 that will start in the championship. Moynagh would be too risky against Monaghan.

Westside

Bud provides some good pace in the forwards there, I like Gunner but he's not good enough on the ball. Wonder will Tom Hayes be on the bench? Tonight is big.. We need a result. Hopefully the lads will want to prove a point about their home form.

http://pcd07.ie/beo/
I see this link was posted on twitter by the Kerry school as a link to the Hogan Cup game? I doubt it'll be live to air but maybe...

Bad result for the Minors last night. Didn't get a score in the second half at all.

rodney trotter

The Cavan line out probaly shows U21 titles are not the be all and end all. 8 of the starting teams haven't got U21 medals. Martin Dunne wasn't making the U21 team in 2010 and left after the Hastings Cup.

The u21 team in 2010 despite not being victorious has probaly the strongest spine of the 5 teams between 2010 - 2014,  Rory Dunne, James McEnroe, McDermott, McKiernan, Bud Fitzpatrick..

Goodluck to Pats today

mylestheslasher

Quote from: rodney trotter on March 28, 2015, 11:20:03 AM
The Cavan line out probaly shows U21 titles are not the be all and end all. 8 of the starting teams haven't got U21 medals. Martin Dunne wasn't making the U21 team in 2010 and left after the Hastings Cup.

The u21 team in 2010 despite not being victorious has probaly the strongest spine of the 5 teams between 2010 - 2014,  Rory Dunne, James McEnroe, McDermott, McKiernan, Bud Fitzpatrick..

Goodluck to Pats today

Its a fair point you make but remember you are also missing Killian Clarke and Michael Argue this weekend, both would be likely to feature. If you include them then you could argue that 10 players have U21 medals which is a fair few. The greatest service the U21 players have delivered, and I am including the players from 2010 in this, is that they have lifted the older players and almost been role models for them. Its easy to forget the senior team was in, the egos, the indiscipline and all the moral victories (i.e. defeats).

Its a shame the U21 teams we had could not get over the line to win the All Ireland. Last years team for me was the best just needed a bit of luck to get over Dublin but instead they got the opposite and a joke of a ref that was never heard of since.

Anyways, its all a means to an end and that end is the senior team. I expect us to beat Westmeath tonight although I expect a .fight from Westmeath as they know a defeat means their safety in Div 2 is in the hands of others. Mackey was great the last day, his calmness and vision and accuracy in the pass is so important. I like the shape of the team and I expect Martin Reilly will play deeper leaving as much space as possible up front. McDermott is much better running towards goal too. Come championship time I expect Clarke may dislodge Corr (but mossy wont go without a fight) and argue may dislodge Bud Fitz. A win here would be great to head for Navan with no pressure on.

mylestheslasher

Quote from: Westside on March 28, 2015, 10:58:48 AM
Bud provides some good pace in the forwards there, I like Gunner but he's not good enough on the ball. Wonder will Tom Hayes be on the bench? Tonight is big.. We need a result. Hopefully the lads will want to prove a point about their home form.

http://pcd07.ie/beo/
I see this link was posted on twitter by the Kerry school as a link to the Hogan Cup game? I doubt it'll be live to air but maybe...

Bad result for the Minors last night. Didn't get a score in the second half at all.

I wouldnt be that worried about it, the St Pats lads obviously not available and that minor league is hard to predict. As long as we are keeping in touch with teams and not getting hidings I'd be happy enough. I think Down only got 3 points in the 2nd half too.

rodney trotter

Quote from: mylestheslasher on March 28, 2015, 12:49:16 PM
Quote from: rodney trotter on March 28, 2015, 11:20:03 AM

Goodluck to Pats today

Its a fair point you make but remember you are also missing Killian Clarke and Michael Argue this weekend, both would be likely to feature. If you include them then you could argue that 10 players have U21 medals which is a fair few. The greatest service the U21 players have delivered, and I am including the players from 2010 in this, is that they have lifted the older players and almost been role models for them. Its easy to forget the senior team was in, the egos, the indiscipline and all the moral victories (i.e. defeats).

Its a shame the U21 teams we had could not get over the line to win the All Ireland. Last years team for me was the best just needed a bit of luck to get over Dublin but instead they got the opposite and a joke of a ref that was never heard of since.

Anyways, its all a means to an end and that end is the senior team. I expect us to beat Westmeath tonight although I expect a .fight from Westmeath as they know a defeat means their safety in Div 2 is in the hands of others. Mackey was great the last day, his calmness and vision and accuracy in the pass is so important. I like the shape of the team and I expect Martin Reilly will play deeper leaving as much space as possible up front. McDermott is much better running towards goal too. Come championship time I expect Clarke may dislodge Corr (but mossy wont go without a fight) and argue may dislodge Bud Fitz. A win here would be great to head for Navan with no pressure on.

Yeah Argue and Clarke would bring the number to 9, I suppose if Keating and Givney were still on the panel it would still be more from the 2010 era.

Duffy not starting today for Westmeath only back from injury, he caused Cavan a lot of hassle around the middle last summer.

rodney trotter

Conor Gilsenan (Bailieboro), Jason McLoughlin (Shannon Gaels), Rory Dunne (Redhills), Ronan Flanagan (Castlerahan), James McEnroe (Ramor Utd), Fergal Flanagan (Butlersbridge), Damien O'Reilly (Belturbet), Tomas Corr (Denn), Gearoid McKiernan (Swanlinbar), Dara McVeety (Crosserlough), Niall McDermott (Ballinagh), Martin Reilly (Killygarry), Cian Mackey (Castlerahan), Martin Dunne (Cavan Gaels), Brendan Fitzpatrick (Belturbet).

Actually 9 players haven't u21 medals.

mylestheslasher

Well it wasnt pretty but Div 2 football is secured. Given the tightness of this group and the fact that there is a game to spare then I think we need to recognise that is a fine achievement and represents a forward step for football in the county.

I thought we were very poor in the first half yesterday so its a good job westmeath are the worst team we have played so far. Westmeath packed their defense against the wind and we completely failed to break it down, again the lack of ball winners inside was evident although Bud tried hard to find space. Indeed when he did manage to get a ball he was left isolated with 3 defenders for company. The killer was a poorly conceded goal when Martin won the ball on the 45, McEnroe couldn't stop him and for some reason Dunne didn't move over to cut him off. We survived of scraps and frees to drag us back into the game, we did get a nice point before half time though from Mcdermott after two good passes from Mackey and Dunne.

We were much better in the 2nd half. More bite to us, more hunger. Thought Gearoid had a very good 2nd half going down on dirty ball and winning a good share of kick outs. He also tapped over two trademark points. Mackey also got more involved, even managing a back heel at one stage. That said we were still making some horrible decisions and poor handpasses - some lads didn't seem tuned in. We were lucky Westmeaths shooting in the 2nd half was even worse than Galway the week before. We were also helped by the fact the wind died down in the 2nd half too.

So pressure off we can go to Navan. Nothing to fear there, I fancy we will beat the Royals and if results elsewhere go our way who knows we could get up to play the big boys.

rodney trotter

Westmeath were outclassed in Division 1 last year, Cavan aren't much better then Westmeath so i don't think Promotion would be a great thing at all. Losing only drains confidence in players, another year in Division 2 would do grand, and its Cavan level at the minute

It will be a very competitive Division 2 next year, looking like  a lot of Ulster teams are going to be in it