Previous topic - Next topic

Syferus

Quote from: larryin89 on March 20, 2015, 09:45:14 PM
Quote from: Syferus on March 20, 2015, 09:41:04 PM
Quote from: Jinxy on March 20, 2015, 09:34:43 PM
Who was sneering at McStay?

Mainly the Mayo panel I think.

You do a lot of thinking about Mayo.

You do an awful lot of thinking about Roscommon.

larryin89

Walk-in down mchale rd , sun out, summers day , game day . That's all .

giveballaghback

Mcstay is one the best and fairest pundits on tele, knows his football, does not court controversy and no cheap shots to make himself look good, he does not need to.

Esmarelda

I think McStay is quite good in the studio. He struggles, like many, in the commentary box where he has to react to the game in real time.

I'm not sure how Spillane could do well. I have nothing against him but I wouldn't even consider him an analyst. He's a statistician. Everything he says is based around stats; how many scores from play, how many scores in each half, how many different scorers etc.

All this information is meaningless without context and Pat offers none.

orangeman

I'll be shocked if Spillane goes for it or gets it ahead of Jack.

Ciarrai_thuaidh

Utterly pointless thread lads. Spillane won't be seen in a Kerry bainisteoir bib any time soon thankfully.

Jack will take the reins next year I'm fairly certain. If not with all due respect, there are a dozen guys who will get it before Pat is even considered.
"Better to die on your feet,than live on your knees"...

moysider

Quote from: Ciarrai_thuaidh on March 24, 2015, 10:48:12 PM
Utterly pointless thread lads. Spillane won't be seen in a Kerry bainisteoir bib any time soon thankfully.

Jack will take the reins next year I'm fairly certain. If not with all due respect, there are a dozen guys who will get it before Pat is even considered.

How is there respect there?
This is a man that must be the most decorated footballer of them all. 9 all-stars and 8 AI medals or the other way around or some thing and this guy is persona non grata. Although I can understand exactly what you re saying, how can anybody even possibly even start to explain that contradiction?

Ciarrai_thuaidh

Quote from: moysider on March 24, 2015, 11:57:40 PM
Quote from: Ciarrai_thuaidh on March 24, 2015, 10:48:12 PM

How is there respect there?
This is a man that must be the most decorated footballer of them all. 9 all-stars and 8 AI medals or the other way around or some thing and this guy is persona non grata. Although I can understand exactly what you re saying, how can anybody even possibly even start to explain that contradiction?

It's very simple, playing ability has no bearing whatsoever on managerial ability. I agree, Pat is one of the best players of modern Gaelic Football. He is nowhere near equipped to be a county manager though and has never operated at anywhere near that level. Simple as.
"Better to die on your feet,than live on your knees"...

BennyHarp

I'm no fan of Spillane's nonsense on TV but fair play if he is prepared to put himself out there to be poked, prodded, ridiculed and "analysed". Maybe he'll be a better TV analyst for the experience. Perhaps RTE could do a Graham Taylor style "Do I not like that" type fly on the wall documentary of it if he gets the job.
That was never a square ball!!

TheOptimist

Is he really putting himself out there or is he being cute? He does after all know there are a group of All Ireland winners coming through.

BennyHarp

Quote from: TheOptimist on March 25, 2015, 08:43:08 AM
Is he really putting himself out there or is he being cute? He does after all know there are a group of All Ireland winners coming through.

That guarantees nothing. If his understanding of modern football tactics is as backward as they seem on The Sunday Game then he'll be found out. Hopefully he comes in and revolutionises the game with a style of play that blows the blanket wide open and returns us to the utopian rose tinted football of the 70s.
That was never a square ball!!

ck

I would dearly love to see Spillane take on a county job! Until he does he has little credibility. Totally out of touch with the modern game. I always find his comments naïve and ideological - always designed to provoke and entertain rather than inform.
I personally detest the modern game and defensive tactics but think Spillane makes an idiot of himself saying people should play a different way just for the sake of it. I look forward to seeing his rugby team play 15 v 15 and win an All-Ireland

twohands!!!

Quote from: TheOptimist on March 25, 2015, 08:43:08 AM

I can't help thinking that he's trying to play it cute - he knows that the odds of him getting the job are vanishingly small - the fact that he came out straight away and said he was interested, despite the fact that it will probably be 6 months before the manager is ratified will allow him to go all summer (see the criticism about him being a hurler on the ditch as opposed to O'Rorke avoids because he applied for stuff with Meath but they went with someone else) saying that he is interested in the manager position and will blunt the opinion of people saying that he is out of touch/clueless .There is also the fact that at least 1 of his nephews (if not 2 of his nephews) are underage again next year and was on the extended panel this year. Once he inevitably get rejected, he will then be able to play the poor-me I was rejected by the Kerry county board card for all eternity in the media.

muppet

This is obviously s strategy by the lads in TSG.

McStay got burned by Mayo, but his credibility as a pundit didn't suffer and if anything it went up.
Spillane is now next and will be 'snubbed'. Wait for the outrage.
Shortly we will see O'Rourke being overlooked for some job or other, probably Minister for something, and then we will have the grand finale.

Joe Brolly will demand the Irish Rugby Coaches job for the 2015 World Cup. Never mind that the 'the best coach in the game - not currently a pundit in RTE' is in situ, it will be seen as the ultimate snub.
MWWSI 2017