Are Dublin the best team ever ?

Started by Saffrongael, August 09, 2014, 09:36:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

seafoid

http://www.irishtimes.com/sport/gaelic-games/dublin-to-resist-any-cuts-to-central-gaa-funding-1.1908845

Dublin will be resisting any reduction in their central GAA funding for next year, claiming they're being penalised for their own success while other counties are already benefitting from the lucrative gate receipts they create.

County chairman Andy Kettle has confirmed that Dublin's funding allocation for 2015 is under review, and that they're the only county with a proposed cut: they're facing a reduced allocation in coaching and games development, while Fingal will no longer be recognised for their share of national hurling league funds.

"Last Friday week, a document was released to counties, indicating what funds were going to come to any particular county, like the GAA do every year," said Kettle. "We didn't get an awful lot of time to study the document, but our county secretary (John Costello) highlighted the fact that Dublin were the only county that had a potential cut.

"First of all it would be eating into our coaching and games development. And the system we have up and running at the moment, Dublin doesn't make a huge amount. If you look at Dublin accounts for the last number of years, it's barely breaking even. It's not as if we're building a war chest. So taking any funds from it will affect our bottom line.

http://www.evilsugarradio.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/05/haters.jpg

Thisonegoesto11

Quote from: Syferus on August 26, 2014, 03:16:11 PM
Quote from: Canalman on August 26, 2014, 03:13:07 PM
Quote from: moysider on August 26, 2014, 02:56:02 PM
Quote from: Johnnybegood on August 23, 2014, 08:14:11 PM
Quote from: moysider on August 22, 2014, 10:48:04 PM
Quote from: Rossfan on August 22, 2014, 10:39:35 PM
Quote from: moysider on August 22, 2014, 10:04:06 PM
Quote from: seafoid on August 22, 2014, 06:55:01 AM
Quote from: ck on August 22, 2014, 06:19:22 AM
Crazy crazy odds for a two horse race. Whilst I hope Dublin win against Donegal I think we could be in for a shocker
There must be a wall of money on Dublin. 3/10 to win Sam.

No wonder there s so little interest about for the Mayo/Kerry semi. Seems like a pointless acedemic exercise to most I think.

Sure someone has to get hammered by them in the Final :(

That s what bothering me although after Sunday it may be Kerry people' s concern only.
Maybe to give the final opposition a chance the final will be played in Killarney or Castlebar. I m sure the Dubs won t mind. They always say they love their trips down the sticks.
we'd beat any team anywhere! We'd even beat yiz on john B keanes field full of sheep!

Easy saying that when ye know ye will never be asked to move anyway. Dublin will never have to play a semi or final outside Croker.
Croke Park being kept free in case of an unlikely replay for Donegal v Dublin. No reason (apart from financial) that Don. v Dublin replay could not be played in Clones.

In fairness no county will ever have to play a final outside  CP. Believe it or not the last semi final outside CP involved guess................................. Dublin.

Absolutely no finesse any more in the Dub bashing on this forum.

31 years ago.

Ironic really with everyone going on about SFs must be played at Croke park. At the same time folk moaning about Dublin playing SFs at croke park. Dublin win semi finals cos they are played at Croke Park (except the ones we lose).  In the 65th minute last year it dawned on the Kerry lads that the Dublin fellas only had a short journey to make and they fell apart. Tis a powerful place that stadium of ours.

Dont Matter

Quote from: seafoid on August 27, 2014, 07:55:18 AM
http://www.irishtimes.com/sport/gaelic-games/dublin-to-resist-any-cuts-to-central-gaa-funding-1.1908845

Dublin will be resisting any reduction in their central GAA funding for next year, claiming they're being penalised for their own success while other counties are already benefitting from the lucrative gate receipts they create.

County chairman Andy Kettle has confirmed that Dublin's funding allocation for 2015 is under review, and that they're the only county with a proposed cut: they're facing a reduced allocation in coaching and games development, while Fingal will no longer be recognised for their share of national hurling league funds.

"Last Friday week, a document was released to counties, indicating what funds were going to come to any particular county, like the GAA do every year," said Kettle. "We didn't get an awful lot of time to study the document, but our county secretary (John Costello) highlighted the fact that Dublin were the only county that had a potential cut.

"First of all it would be eating into our coaching and games development. And the system we have up and running at the moment, Dublin doesn't make a huge amount. If you look at Dublin accounts for the last number of years, it's barely breaking even. It's not as if we're building a war chest. So taking any funds from it will affect our bottom line.

As usual the great Dont Matter is bang on the money. <-- Pun             Here's a recent quote:

Quote from: Dont Matter on August 12, 2014, 10:49:09 AM
the Dubs feel entitled to this money. If there's any talk of withdrawing the funds you'll here great stink coming out of them. They go on about saying the money isn't what has brought success but wait for the uproar when someone even suggests to take it away.

Look at this line from Kettle "Now it seems they can take a little bit off that, and give it to somebody else, which I don't accept." They actually think it's their money, that no one else should get any of it.
The sense of entitlement is unbelievable, he even brought up Dubl$n being treated like a Province on their own again, he feels it's outrageous that this has happened and now the GAA are "picking at the bit we have."  ;D
Yes the big, bad GAA are considering cutting back the "bit" of money that Dubl$n have, the money they received from......................the GAA!!!! Plus money taken from ordinary citizens who've nothing to do with the GAA.

The monster has been created and it's a greedy monster. We must destroy it before it destroys us.
'Dublin is not a national problem, it's a national opportunity.'
Peter Quinn

seafoid

http://www.rte.ie/sport/gaa/football/2014/0828/639933-gavin/

Dublin football manager Jim Gavin has rejected the notion that Sunday's All-Ireland football semi-final showdown with Donegal is a defining game for Gaelic football.

Gavin insisted that the All Ireland final should still be played.

Thisonegoesto11

Quote from: seafoid on August 29, 2014, 11:22:45 AM
http://www.rte.ie/sport/gaa/football/2014/0828/639933-gavin/

Dublin football manager Jim Gavin has rejected the notion that Sunday's All-Ireland football semi-final showdown with Donegal is a defining game for Gaelic football.

Gavin insisted that the All Ireland final should still be played.

Fair enough article and he's right.

INDIANA

Quote from: Dont Matter on August 27, 2014, 10:24:16 AM
Quote from: seafoid on August 27, 2014, 07:55:18 AM

As usual the great Dont Matter is bang on the money. <-- Pun             Here's a recent quote:

Quote from: Dont Matter on August 12, 2014, 10:49:09 AM
the Dubs feel entitled to this money. If there's any talk of withdrawing the funds you'll here great stink coming out of them. They go on about saying the money isn't what has brought success but wait for the uproar when someone even suggests to take it away.

Look at this line from Kettle "Now it seems they can take a little bit off that, and give it to somebody else, which I don't accept." They actually think it's their money, that no one else should get any of it.
The sense of entitlement is unbelievable, he even brought up Dubl$n being treated like a Province on their own again, he feels it's outrageous that this has happened and now the GAA are "picking at the bit we have."  ;D
Yes the big, bad GAA are considering cutting back the "bit" of money that Dubl$n have, the money they received from......................the GAA!!!! Plus money taken from ordinary citizens who've nothing to do with the GAA.

The monster has been created and it's a greedy monster. We must destroy it before it destroys us.

Sure what about the Laois player we are employing for you. Where are the lads going to get jobs?

Fuzzman

Indiana, I've not read through the previous pages and I might do it now that I'm less busy but I'm just curious do you or your fellow county men think Dublin have any advantages over other counties?

INDIANA

Quote from: Fuzzman on August 29, 2014, 04:20:11 PM
Indiana, I've not read through the previous pages and I might do it now that I'm less busy but I'm just curious do you or your fellow county men think Dublin have any advantages over other counties?

Not really no. We're entitled to be allowed have a good team now and again. And that's the nuts and bolts of it. We aren't allowed a good team- everybody else is.

Have a read of this maybe. A bit of balance.

http://www.grassrootsgaa.ie/opinion-pieces/is-dublin-being-branded-with-the-overly-funded-brush-a-direct-result-of-its-own-recent-success

Syferus

It was easy to ignore Dublin's advantages when they were squandering them. This defensive craic that it's all because they've won a few trophies is way off-base. It's just that those advantages are more relevant when Dublin aren't making a hash of them and are actually bringing them to bear at all levels.

I don't think an article on an almost entirely Dublin-focused fan-site is bringing much balance to the topic either, Indy.

INDIANA

Quote from: Syferus on August 29, 2014, 08:06:50 PM
It was easy to ignore Dublin's advantages when they were squandering them. This defensive craic that it's all because they've won a few trophies is way off-base. It's just that those advantages are more relevant when Dublin aren't making a hash of them and are actually bringing them to bear at all levels.

I don't think an article on an almost entirely Dublin-focused fan-site is bringing much balance to the topic either, Indy.

I think it brings incredible balance. Because we don't get any balance in the media. You don't allow us to have good teams because in the country its not allowed.

As the paragraph at the end says the scaremongering is an opinion based on what might happen in the future.

Perfectly put IMO.

Syferus

Quote from: INDIANA on August 29, 2014, 08:17:36 PM

I think it brings incredible balance. Because we don't get any balance in the media. You don't allow us to have good teams because in the country its not allowed.

As the paragraph at the end says the scaremongering is an opinion based on what might happen in the future.

Perfectly put IMO.

Looking at the last few seasons it's much more about what has happened and is happening. Dublin are the main force at every non-junior county grade and their clubs have contested both of the last AI senior club finals, winning the most recent one. Whatever direction you look you'll see Dublin out in front.

INDIANA

Quote from: Syferus on August 29, 2014, 08:45:58 PM

Perfectly put IMO.

Looking at the last few seasons it's much more about wha has happened and is happening. Dublin are the main force at every non-junior county grade and their clubs have contested both of the last AI senior club finals, winning the most recent one. Whatever direction you look you'll see Dublin out in front.

An opinion. That's all it is Syferus. you can't predict the future- nobody can.

What about Kilkenny circa 2000-2012?

Syferus

Quote from: INDIANA on August 29, 2014, 08:51:55 PM

Perfectly put IMO.

Looking at the last few seasons it's much more about wha has happened and is happening. Dublin are the main force at every non-junior county grade and their clubs have contested both of the last AI senior club finals, winning the most recent one. Whatever direction you look you'll see Dublin out in front.

If they had Dublin's raw playing numbers and huge sponsorships and massive central funding the same would have been said about them. Dublin are without equal in a lot of meaningful ways and the direction of funding is making the gap larger. That's in no one's interests in the long run, even Dublin's.

INDIANA

Quote from: Syferus on August 29, 2014, 09:11:11 PM
Quote from: INDIANA on August 29, 2014, 08:51:55 PM

Perfectly put IMO.

If they had Dublin's raw playing numbers and huge sponsorships and massive central funding the same would have been said about them. Dublin are without equal in a lot of meaningful ways and the direction of funding is making the gap larger. That's in no one's interests in the long run, even Dublin's.

Again an opinion that highlights the double standards involved. 

You've got nothing for me bar an opinion because you can't talk about titles that haven't been win.

You can only talk about what you think might happen.

Plenty of them lads down in leopardstown during the week chasing the dragon.

ONeill

So McEntee says we're being hysterical about Dublin. They haven't been tested he says. When McEntee talks ye listen.
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.