Tyrone County Football and Hurling

Started by Fear ón Srath Bán, April 01, 2007, 05:58:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

NotedObserver

Anyone any reports from the game today?

inroundthesquare

Tyrone were sloppy with some passing early on, goal got them going - quick thinking by Sludden. Down were awful in the first half couldn't get any ball into their forward line - Hugh Pat and McNamee were keeping it tight. McCurry had a brilliant first half - looked the sharpest of the forwards, few nice efforts outside of the boot, probably in the form of his life at the moment considering the Tyrone championship last year also. McCann and O'Neill were showing reasonably well in the first half, not good second half - O'Neill on my count dropped 4 shots short over the course of the game. Burns got on a lot of ball and used it well - you'd hope to see him become more of a leader this year, need lads like himself to push on another level. Grimes didn't look out of place for a newcomer- won a few breaking balls etc. seems to do the dirty work well.. Coney done his usual role - passing around the middle, to me he looked slow and he's not a scoring threat either. McDonnell gave away a few poor balls.
Game was already but Down picked up after half time, got it back to 4 i think at one stage - Sludden and K McGeary went off early 2nd half maybe had an effect. Tyrone were running down a lot of blind alleys.

Did McKernan pick up an injury in the Sigerson - see UU's twitter wishing him a speedy recovery?

Angelo

Quote from: inroundthesquare on January 12, 2020, 08:28:25 PM
Tyrone were sloppy with some passing early on, goal got them going - quick thinking by Sludden. Down were awful in the first half couldn't get any ball into their forward line - Hugh Pat and McNamee were keeping it tight. McCurry had a brilliant first half - looked the sharpest of the forwards, few nice efforts outside of the boot, probably in the form of his life at the moment considering the Tyrone championship last year also. McCann and O'Neill were showing reasonably well in the first half, not good second half - O'Neill on my count dropped 4 shots short over the course of the game. Burns got on a lot of ball and used it well - you'd hope to see him become more of a leader this year, need lads like himself to push on another level. Grimes didn't look out of place for a newcomer- won a few breaking balls etc. seems to do the dirty work well.. Coney done his usual role - passing around the middle, to me he looked slow and he's not a scoring threat either. McDonnell gave away a few poor balls.
Game was already but Down picked up after half time, got it back to 4 i think at one stage - Sludden and K McGeary went off early 2nd half maybe had an effect. Tyrone were running down a lot of blind alleys.

Did McKernan pick up an injury in the Sigerson - see UU's twitter wishing him a speedy recovery?

McCurry seems to be in good form so far going by reports.

I think Coney is worth persisting with in the league, he's getting a good run of games so far. Not sure if he's the answer but he does give us qualities that we don't really have in the squad.

We've yet to see Harte, Hampsey, Cavanagh, Bradley Meyler and Richie Donnelly this season? Are they carrying injuries or just being given a bit extra time off. With the likes of Mattie out for the season, McShane probably off and a few other injuries we will be looking for more players to step up as you have said. Hopefully Burns is one of them, not sure what is best position is though. He's got great energy, plays with his head up and carries a scoring threat but I think he has a tendency to lose his own man in a defensive respect and can be a bit erratic with his shooting.

Good to see McHugh get on the scoresheet in his brief cameo.
GAA FUNDING CHEATS CHEAT US ALL

Smurfy123

Hamsey
R Donnelly
M Donnelly
Mcaliskey
Brennan
Morgan
T McCann
Harte
McShane
M Cassidy
Cavanagh
M McKernan
B Kennedy
Meyler

Question lads. How many of these would start

Angelo

Quote from: Smurfy123 on January 12, 2020, 08:53:17 PM
Hamsey
R Donnelly
M Donnelly
Mcaliskey
Brennan
Morgan
T McCann
Harte
McShane
M Cassidy
Cavanagh
M McKernan
B Kennedy
Meyler

Players that didn't start today?

If all available, I'd say

Certain starters:
M Donnelly
Harte
R Brennan
Morgan
McShane
Hampsey

And probably 4 or 5 of the rest would be battling with each other for starting spots, we do have a lot of competition in the squad which is healthy, I think we're just lacking a bit of star quality in the forward line - even moreso with McShane off.

GetOverTheBar

Meyler will start on any Tyrone game Harte is in charge, if fit. He loves him.

rrhf

I have to say. Fair play to these lads and management for putting these results together. We know where we probably are and may struggle, but anybody that went to some awful div 3 games with Tyrone in the 80s would know that there is still a bating of any county team and Tyrone are trying hard and at this stage of the season progressing fine. Fair play to the Conall Mc Cann's and the Ben o Donnells. Reading on here ye would wonder why they bother sometimes. Give credit to the effort.

Dire Ear

Hamsey
R Donnelly
M Donnelly
Mcaliskey
Brennan
Morgan
T McCann
Harte
McShane
M Cassidy
Cavanagh
M McKernan
B Kennedy
Meyler

Hamsey 
M Donnelly
Brennan
Morgan 
Harte   
Cavanagh 
B Kennedy
Can see these all on the sheet, if fit

bigpackiechestout

Quote from: rrhf on January 13, 2020, 10:37:57 AM
I have to say. Fair play to these lads and management for putting these results together. We know where we probably are and may struggle, but anybody that went to some awful div 3 games with Tyrone in the 80s would know that there is still a bating of any county team and Tyrone are trying hard and at this stage of the season progressing fine. Fair play to the Conall Mc Cann's and the Ben o Donnells. Reading on here ye would wonder why they bother sometimes. Give credit to the effort.

Conall McCann had a fine game yesterday I thought. Scored 1-2 from play, provided a few assists and showed he is well capable of winning ball at full forward. He was unlucky in the second half too with confusion around an attacking mark that he thought he took.

Jim Bob

Quote from: Dire Ear on January 13, 2020, 10:43:23 AM
Hamsey
R Donnelly
M Donnelly
Mcaliskey
Brennan
Morgan
T McCann
Harte
McShane
M Cassidy
Cavanagh
M McKernan
B Kennedy
Meyler

Hamsey 
M Donnelly
Brennan
Morgan 
Harte   
Cavanagh 
B Kennedy

Harte still on honeymoon. Mid feb by the  time he is back

Angelo

Quote from: Jim Bob on January 13, 2020, 05:36:53 PM
Hamsey
R Donnelly
M Donnelly
Mcaliskey
Brennan
Morgan
T McCann
Harte
McShane
M Cassidy
Cavanagh
M McKernan
B Kennedy
Meyler

Hamsey 
M Donnelly
Brennan
Morgan 
Harte   
Cavanagh 
B Kennedy

Isn't Harte a teacher? How does he get the time off?

delgany

Quote from: Angelo on January 13, 2020, 07:37:30 PM
Hamsey
R Donnelly
M Donnelly
Mcaliskey
Brennan
Morgan
T McCann
Harte
McShane
M Cassidy
Cavanagh
M McKernan
B Kennedy
Meyler

Hamsey 
M Donnelly
Brennan
Morgan 
Harte   
Cavanagh 
B Kennedy

Unpaid leave????

NotedObserver

Quote from: delgany on January 13, 2020, 08:27:33 PM
Hamsey
R Donnelly
M Donnelly
Mcaliskey
Brennan
Morgan
T McCann
Harte
McShane
M Cassidy
Cavanagh
M McKernan
B Kennedy
Meyler

Hamsey 
M Donnelly
Brennan
Morgan 
Harte   
Cavanagh 
B Kennedy

Unpaid leave????

If all players are fit it will be a difficult choice on who makes the cut as many at a similar level and time for men to take the step forward if they have it. Still the lack of inside forwards without McShane though the opportunity is there for someone to put their handup in the league.

Jim Bob

Hampsey still far from fit. Had op and slow recovery

GetOverTheBar

Quote from: NotedObserver on January 13, 2020, 08:51:37 PM
Quote from: delgany on January 13, 2020, 08:27:33 PM
Hamsey
R Donnelly
M Donnelly
Mcaliskey
Brennan
Morgan
T McCann
Harte
McShane
M Cassidy
Cavanagh
M McKernan
B Kennedy
Meyler

Hamsey 
M Donnelly
Brennan
Morgan 
Harte   
Cavanagh 
B Kennedy

Unpaid leave????

If all players are fit it will be a difficult choice on who makes the cut as many at a similar level and time for men to take the step forward if they have it. Still the lack of inside forwards without McShane though the opportunity is there for someone to put their handup in the league.

The inside mark once won't just benefit the bigger forwards, clever smaller men like O'Neill/Bradley will thrive under quick ball in. Provided they get it.