Joe Brolly

Started by randomtask, July 31, 2011, 05:28:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

muppet

Quote from: Zulu on April 18, 2014, 03:59:37 PM
How do you make out he was too hyped? There was absolutely nothing wrong with the intent of the tackle. Watching it unfold I was expecting to big me to shoulder each other but O'Shea went to kick with his outside leg at the last second. There was nothing Doherty could do at that stage. In fairness O'Shea was hit and you could see why he mightn't have hopped up straight away but it wasn't intentionally dangerous or malicious and I wouldn't have given a yellow.

What has that to do with O'Shea's opinion on Sky? Or Brolly's opinion of O'Shea's opinion?
MWWSI 2017

Jinxy

Quote from: Syferus on April 18, 2014, 03:25:27 PM
Quote from: Walter Cronc on April 18, 2014, 02:16:28 PM
Quote from: Tubberman on April 18, 2014, 01:57:32 PM
Quote from: rosnarun on April 18, 2014, 01:53:32 PM
any one have access to his latest raving
from http://gaeliclife.com/ via balls.ie

Joe Brolly has responded to Aidan O'Shea's critique of the RTE football panel in his Gaelic Life column in a typically cutting and sardonic fashion.

Brolly's pithy summation of O'Shea's critique was that the football panel were the type of people "who were prepared to say a game was rubbish if it was rubbish" as opposed to the more jolly and "big breasted" analysis the viewer will soon be able to avail of on Sky.

However, he did allow O'Shea some leeway because of these mitigating circumstances.

In fairness to Big Aidan, he is still in the early stages of recovery after Fergal Doherty poleaxed him on Sunday, leaving him curled up on the ground whimpering for his mammy.

He allowed those who echoed O'Shea's critique no excuse, saying the tendency to "spoof" rather than "tell the truth" had done enormous damage to Irish society. The happy, clappy Sky Sports team, he predicted, will "unveil the sports analysis equivalent of the Rose of Tralee" before too long

Classy stuff from Brolly. He's some analyst....

In fairness O'Shea shouldn't have been down holding his face. That Gibbons lad too. Must have been a 'sniper at work' in the stand!

That O'Doherty lad was way too hyped up for the length he was on the field. Mad 'tackle' to make when you're on a yellow and O'Shea is not someone that goes down easily.

For a lad his size, he goes down way too easy and way too often.
If you were any use you'd be playing.

Zulu

Quote from: muppet on April 18, 2014, 04:14:19 PM
How do you make out he was too hyped? There was absolutely nothing wrong with the intent of the tackle. Watching it unfold I was expecting to big me to shoulder each other but O'Shea went to kick with his outside leg at the last second. There was nothing Doherty could do at that stage. In fairness O'Shea was hit and you could see why he mightn't have hopped up straight away but it wasn't intentionally dangerous or malicious and I wouldn't have given a yellow.

What has that to do with O'Shea's opinion on Sky? Or Brolly's opinion of O'Shea's opinion?

Nothing, I was responding to the previous post.

muppet

Quote from: Zulu on April 18, 2014, 04:17:07 PM
Quote from: muppet on April 18, 2014, 04:14:19 PM

Nothing, I was responding to the previous post.

Apologies, didn't read that.
MWWSI 2017

Syferus

Quote from: Jinxy on April 18, 2014, 04:15:59 PM
Quote from: Syferus on April 18, 2014, 03:25:27 PM
Quote from: Walter Cronc on April 18, 2014, 02:16:28 PM
Quote from: Tubberman on April 18, 2014, 01:57:32 PM
Quote from: rosnarun on April 18, 2014, 01:53:32 PM
any one have access to his latest raving
from http://gaeliclife.com/ via balls.ie

Joe Brolly has responded to Aidan O'Shea's critique of the RTE football panel in his Gaelic Life column in a typically cutting and sardonic fashion.

Brolly's pithy summation of O'Shea's critique was that the football panel were the type of people "who were prepared to say a game was rubbish if it was rubbish" as opposed to the more jolly and "big breasted" analysis the viewer will soon be able to avail of on Sky.

However, he did allow O'Shea some leeway because of these mitigating circumstances.

In fairness to Big Aidan, he is still in the early stages of recovery after Fergal Doherty poleaxed him on Sunday, leaving him curled up on the ground whimpering for his mammy.

He allowed those who echoed O'Shea's critique no excuse, saying the tendency to "spoof" rather than "tell the truth" had done enormous damage to Irish society. The happy, clappy Sky Sports team, he predicted, will "unveil the sports analysis equivalent of the Rose of Tralee" before too long

Classy stuff from Brolly. He's some analyst....

In fairness O'Shea shouldn't have been down holding his face. That Gibbons lad too. Must have been a 'sniper at work' in the stand!

That O'Doherty lad was way too hyped up for the length he was on the field. Mad 'tackle' to make when you're on a yellow and O'Shea is not someone that goes down easily.

For a lad his size, he goes down way too easy and way too often.

O'Shea loves contact too much. I've seen him playing since he was a minor and he loves nothing more than lads bouncing off him trying to make a tackle, and that is the end result in the vast majority of cases. He has no fondness of the floor, just of putting other lads on it.

rosnarun

Nothing wrong if the intent was to lessen O sheas effect byway of  assault, you may as well scrap Cards altogether if that was not a yellow. much like the ref did for Black card for most of the match.
Keegan was hauled down when through on goal , exactly the situation the card was introduced for  but the ref chickened out
If you make yourself understood, you're always speaking well. Moliere

Zulu

Disagree, if two players are running at speed towards a ball both players may be committed to shouldering each other at the point they meet but if one decides not to shoulder and instead turned and faced his opponent he would get hit hard in the chest, however, that wouldn't be his opponents fault. That's what happened here more or less. O'Shea by using his outside leg to kick the ball exposed his front to Doherty who was already committed to the shoulder he expected to receive back. Neither player did anything wrong IMO, both went full bloodied in a legitimate way for the ball but because one played the ball and the other was committed to playing the man (within the rules) first, we got that collision.

muppet

Quote from: Zulu on April 18, 2014, 04:37:34 PM
Disagree, if two players are running at speed towards a ball both players may be committed to shouldering each other at the point they meet but if one decides not to shoulder and instead turned and faced his opponent he would get hit hard in the chest, however, that wouldn't be his opponents fault. That's what happened here more or less. O'Shea by using his outside leg to kick the ball exposed his front to Doherty who was already committed to the shoulder he expected to receive back. Neither player did anything wrong IMO, both went full bloodied in a legitimate way for the ball but because one played the ball and the other was committed to playing the man (within the rules) first, we got that collision.

Actually it is. It must be shoulder too shoulder or else it is a foul.

MWWSI 2017

squire_in_navy_slacks

Ah big Aidan eh, lined up for the all star last year until the lads ran the bollox off him ..............................  personally think Brolly is having a go because of the way Aidan held the face dramatically when Fergal gave it to him hard !!!!!

Zulu

Quote from: muppet on April 18, 2014, 05:41:37 PM

Yes, but if you run in to shoulder me on the shoulder and I turn quickly and face you it isn't your fault that you hit me in the chest because you couldn't, at that stage, stop. You didn't try to hit me in the chest but you couldn't avoid doing so once I turned into you so late. That's what happened in this incident IMO.

Walter Cronc

Quote from: rosnarun on April 18, 2014, 04:30:16 PM

Nothing wrong if the intent was to lessen O sheas effect byway of  assault, you may as well scrap Cards altogether if that was not a yellow. much like the ref did for Black card for most of the match.
Keegan was hauled down when through on goal , exactly the situation the card was introduced for  but the ref chickened out

What you forgot to mention was the 4 fouls Keegan committed in the first half. 3 on Lynn. Or the obvious black card which should have been issue to Gibbons twice.

Regarding O'Shea there is a big difference in soloing the ball and breaking tackles and meeting a man square on of equal size and strength. Needs to toughen up in my book.

muppet

Quote from: Zulu on April 18, 2014, 06:51:12 PM
Quote from: muppet on April 18, 2014, 05:41:37 PM

Yes, but if you run in to shoulder me on the shoulder and I turn quickly and face you it isn't your fault that you hit me in the chest because you couldn't, at that stage, stop. You didn't try to hit me in the chest but you couldn't avoid doing so once I turned into you so late. That's what happened in this incident IMO.

Zulu, you are one of the better posters here but this is daft.

If you lead with the shoulder and don't hit shoulder, you are at fault.

O'Shea had a man free up the line and wisely opted to play the ball to him. He never deviated from what he was doing. Doherty never attempted to get the ball. The only way that is legal is if you hit a fair shoulder. If you get it wrong, you are in trouble.
MWWSI 2017

Zulu

I agree it was a free because he didn't hit the shoulder but I disagree it was a yellow because there was no intent and in this situation there was an extremely fine line between a good hit and what happened. As I watched it unfold I was thinking this will be some shoulder to shoulder hit but at the last moment O'Shea saw a teammate and played the ball. Doherty who had no alternative but to shoulder first as it was the only way he could play the ball, if he kicked it first it was going to a line ball so he was going to shoulder O'Shea and then if possible pick the ball and use it.

Muppet, we could go around in circles here for the night, I'd readily accept this is very much an interpretation type of discussion. There was a foul so the question is intent and that is speculative. But for me, there were two big men going for a ball and if O'Shea hadn't had a free teammate ahead both would have had to shoulder each other before trying to win the ball. Doherty wasn't to know what O'Shea was going to do and I don't think Aidan did until very late. A free but no yellow for me. You obviously disagree which is fair enough but I've watched it a few times and that would be my view of it.

muppet

If that isn't a card, I don't know what it.
MWWSI 2017

Zulu

We'll have to agree to disagree so.